denver callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: denver callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Screened with DGS and Kilpatrick awhile ago and haven't heard from them despite leaving voicemails. Any news from them?

Both have already completed hiring. Kilpatrick does not send out rejection notices...just silence.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am one of four MVP students who applied broadly in Denver market. GPAs range from median to top 10%, mountain west ties (though no Denver/CO natives), 2 of the 4 on law review. All of us didn't get a response from Holland & Hart until they informed us summer hiring already concluded.

Does anyone know how big of a summer class H&H's Denver office had this year and who those jobs went to? Any other relevant details?

Don't feel too bad. CCN student with decent grades, and a lifelong Denver native with ties to local civic groups, etc. Still couldn't crack it.

Is there a sense that the market is tightening up in Denver? I hear talk of a small H&H class and S&H (notoriously) scrapped theirs... I know it isn't a huge market, but if lifelong natives out of CCN are struggling, sheesh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am one of four MVP students who applied broadly in Denver market. GPAs range from median to top 10%, mountain west ties (though no Denver/CO natives), 2 of the 4 on law review. All of us didn't get a response from Holland & Hart until they informed us summer hiring already concluded.

Does anyone know how big of a summer class H&H's Denver office had this year and who those jobs went to? Any other relevant details?

Don't feel too bad. CCN student with decent grades, and a lifelong Denver native with ties to local civic groups, etc. Still couldn't crack it.

Is there a sense that the market is tightening up in Denver? I hear talk of a small H&H class and S&H (notoriously) scrapped theirs... I know it isn't a huge market, but if lifelong natives out of CCN are struggling, sheesh.

First, I have to admit that I have no idea what CCN means. That said, I think the market here is the same as elsewhere. Summer Associate class sizes are down all around, and Denver is no exception. I also believe that firms here are giving CU/DU grads more preference over out of state schools. It seems that big firms have been hesitant to hire grads out of DU in past, but seem to be warming up to the idea. This combined with smaller class sizes may be squeezing out those who have ties to Denver, but went to school elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:38 am

First, I have to admit that I have no idea what CCN means. That said, I think the market here is the same as elsewhere. Summer Associate class sizes are down all around, and Denver is no exception. I also believe that firms here are giving CU/DU grads more preference over out of state schools. It seems that big firms have been hesitant to hire grads out of DU in past, but seem to be warming up to the idea. This combined with smaller class sizes may be squeezing out those who have ties to Denver, but went to school elsewhere.

"CCN" means students from Chicago, Columbia and NYU, which tend to be banded together in the rankings.

As for Denver hiring, I think it breaks down to two things. First, the biglaw and midlaw legal markets here are disproportionately small for a metro area this size. Not quite sure why -- my suspicion is that Denver really blossomed from a run-of-the-mill midsized city to a regional capital of sorts in the last 20 years or so, and by then, travel and technology made it a lot easier for the big players from Chicago and California to do stuff out here remotely. But in any event, you really only have one true native biglaw firm (H&H), and they don't do a ton of entry-level hiring. Then you've got a handful of firms that are on the border between biglaw and midlaw (DGS, HRO, S&H) and big offices of out-of-town firms (Faegre, Snell, Dorsey), but even if they hired a proportionate number of summer associates (and they don't for the reasons given below), offices in the 50-150 range can only hire so many summers. Combine that with the fact that you have the tip top students at CU and DU (maybe the top 20-30 at the former, and top 10-20 at the latter) taking up maybe half the SA spots in a given year, and it's a tough nut to crack for out-of-towners.

The second thing going on is that Denver is a hugely popular city for laterals (I know; I was one several years ago). I think there is a big sense among some firms that it's silly to spend a ton of money on a SA program and even training new associates, when they are going to be applying in droves out of NY or SF or Chicago -- with (real) biglaw training -- two or three years down the road.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Any news on offers from DISH?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:21 am

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any firms still doing callbacks? Or is most hiring done in this market?

Two weeks since I last asked, any updates?

Also, if anyone is sitting on multiple offers please make a decision so those waiting to hear can move on. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:McKenna has already made offers.

CU Boulder

How long from CB->Offer? How did the offer come (call/mail/email)? Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”