Hotels and credit cards holds - Can I refuse?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Hotels and credit cards holds - Can I refuse?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Still waiting for my loans to disburse so living on my credit card til next week. The problem is that on my callbacks they are asking me to leave a card and putting a hold on the card. Basically due to some unfortunate overlap, I'm waiting for $700 to be released.

I'm basically maxed out on my credit card now! I have to go to yet another hotel tomorrow - can I refuse to put my card down? Why hasn't the firm sorted this out?

Stress - in a great city for the week with about 40 bucks to spend... :evil:

Borhas

Re: Hotels and credit cards holds - Can I refuse?

Postby Borhas » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:29 pm

pay day loans may be an option, if you are really up shit creek... I know that doesn't answer your real question though

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:52 pm

What kind of hotels are you staying in? At nice ones like a Westin, no way are they letting you check in without a hold. At a Motel 6 or a Super 8, they would.

The only thing you can do is to call your credit card company the day after you check out and ask if the hold can be released.

I worked at a hotel for a couple years, and this is also why you never want to use your debit card to book a room.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Have you tried getting your card's limit raised?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:09 pm

The firm on my last CB handled all my travel and lodging arrangements, I didn't have to spend a cent (except for transportation to and from the airport, which will get reimbursed of course).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:35 pm

Op here - ^ - I'm not paying for the rooms. I'm putting down a hold at the hotel.

I may speak to them re getting the credit raised but it's not that old.

Just so annoying.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op here - ^ - I'm not paying for the rooms. I'm putting down a hold at the hotel.

Just so annoying.

You should also be allowed to put a cash deposit for the hold, usually $250.

You can also try and very politely beg the hotel to do a smaller hold but that probably will not happen. The person you want to talk to is the night auditor, who probably works 11 PM-7 AM and does all the billing. They may or may not have the ability to create a smaller hold, but it's worth a shot.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:14 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Op here - ^ - I'm not paying for the rooms. I'm putting down a hold at the hotel.

Just so annoying.

You should also be allowed to put a cash deposit for the hold, usually $250.

You can also try and very politely beg the hotel to do a smaller hold but that probably will not happen. The person you want to talk to is the night auditor, who probably works 11 PM-7 AM and does all the billing. They may or may not have the ability to create a smaller hold, but it's worth a shot.

I suggest saying that you are a student from XX school and that you are here to interview with XXX firm and that the hold on your funds is too much right now, but keeping the card on file is fine. Do it in a begging non-confrontational way and they may lower it or waive it. You are one of the least risky guests.

If it doesn't go well don't blame me. Some respond well and some respond bad to mention of law school and law firm.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:18 pm

I totally forgot this option before. You can ask to have all services shut off to your room in lieu of a deposit. They remove the minibar, cut off pay per view movies and internet, and put a note that you can't order room service. Some hotels will not do this but technically they are supposed to allow it. You will probably really, really annoy the front desk and people will probably hate you, but it can be done.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:19 pm

Could there be a possibility of a friend or relative allowing you to use their card knowing that nothing will be charged to it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:26 pm

Hey guys - update. Called the travel agency who booked for the firm and explained. They called the hotel and it was fine!

Stress averted - but thanks for the suggestions!

Return to “Legal Employment”