Making the big decision

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273444
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Making the big decision

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Assuming two very similar firms with a strong practice in the area I know I'm interested in and people I really liked upon meeting, what is the basis for deciding between firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273444
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Making the big decision

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:42 pm

coin toss

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Making the big decision

Postby Sup Kid » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:51 pm

It's only August 25th. Do a follow-up visit to each firm, and ask recruiting to put you in touch with some of the first and second year associates, in order to get a better feel of what you'll be doing. Ask pointed questions when needed -- remember, now you have the power in the process. If you really can't decide, and they both pay the same amount (including bonuses), flip a coin. :lol:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273444
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Making the big decision

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Assuming two very similar firms with a strong practice in the area I know I'm interested in and people I really liked upon meeting, what is the basis for deciding between firms?


Look at PPP, previous associate layoffs if any, partnership prospects, partner defections, last year bonus(es), and any staff layoffs. Also, can look to see if you will have a private office or not.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: Making the big decision

Postby Heartford » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Assuming two very similar firms with a strong practice in the area I know I'm interested in and people I really liked upon meeting, what is the basis for deciding between firms?


Look at PPP, previous associate layoffs if any, partnership prospects, partner defections, last year bonus(es), and any staff layoffs. Also, can look to see if you will have a private office or not.


What's PPP?

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Making the big decision

Postby Sup Kid » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Heartford wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Assuming two very similar firms with a strong practice in the area I know I'm interested in and people I really liked upon meeting, what is the basis for deciding between firms?


Look at PPP, previous associate layoffs if any, partnership prospects, partner defections, last year bonus(es), and any staff layoffs. Also, can look to see if you will have a private office or not.


What's PPP?

Profits Per Partner, though Revenue Per Lawyer is also a worthwhile statistic.

What the f.supp?
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Making the big decision

Postby What the f.supp? » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:00 pm

Profits per partner. A coarse gauge of how much partners earn.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273444
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Making the big decision

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:05 pm

Where can we get a good rpm list that's free? Amlaw charges

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Making the big decision

Postby Sup Kid » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where can we get a good rpm list that's free? Amlaw charges

You should be able to view it here: http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/PubArticleTA ... 2448485080. Also, no reason to be anonymous...




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.