Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Monday callback pushed to Thursday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:15 pm

Had a monday callback pushed to tuesday in the am, but the flight was originally rescheduled to a saturday. that's since been cancelled and everything is in limbo till monday morning. i'm freaking out just a little.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby Moxie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:23 pm

For those of us flying out from or to Boston, looks like Sunday morning and afternoon are going to be the brunt of the storm. Things will be clear by Monday morning, but flights could be screwed by Sunday cancellations.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby sunynp » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:35 pm

all five airports are on lockdown starting at noon tomorrow. I think people may be a bit too optimistic about flights. Look back at what happened due to the blizzard at christmas- backed up flights took a long time to clear. Also, there could well be more storm damage like downed trees, debris and power outages that will slow the city down. A friend was supposed to fly in tomorrow from London to arrive at 1 and her flight was cancelled and she can't get into JFK until tuesday. Plus with mass transit closed until Monday - the city is going to take at least a day to work out the kinks. This isn't a simple tropical storm, and even those cause damage in the city.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:26 am

Flight from east coast to LA sun afternoon cancelled. 2+ hours waiting on airline rebooking
hotline to no avail and firm's travel agent is closed on weekends. Had already given Monday firms a heads up, but my experience with these disruptions is that you might not be able to get out for a few days due to backlogged flights. Desperately trying to get to the Midwest today and figure it out from there -- otherwise, there's nothing I can do. Anyone having any luck rescheduling flights??

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:28 am

Just had my monday morning flight from Boston--> NYC Cancelled.

All amtrak routes on Monday are sold out. Any ideas on what to do?

TooOld4This
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:09 am

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby TooOld4This » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just had my monday morning flight from Boston--> NYC Cancelled.

All amtrak routes on Monday are sold out. Any ideas on what to do?



1. It's a hurricane that has caused NYC to issue emergency evacuations. The firm will understand if you aren't able to get there (and I would suspect there is a decent chance they are going to cancel on you anyway).

2. Reserve a car. The drive isn't that bad. If driving isn't possible on Monday then see 1.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:37 am

TooOld4This wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just had my monday morning flight from Boston--> NYC Cancelled.

All amtrak routes on Monday are sold out. Any ideas on what to do?



1. It's a hurricane that has caused NYC to issue emergency evacuations. The firm will understand if you aren't able to get there (and I would suspect there is a decent chance they are going to cancel on you anyway).

2. Reserve a car. The drive isn't that bad. If driving isn't possible on Monday then see 1.


Just an FYI, most firms I have CBs with specifically say if you plan on renting a car you need to get permission beforehand if seeking reimbursement. I don't know why or how strict the policy is. Just wanted to let you know.

Also, I doubt the firms will mind if you cancel due to a natural emergency. However, even if they don't mind, their schedules are also likely filled for the coming weeks. If they squeeze you in, then it will be a squeezed in interview and likely less good. It's not an ideal situation for anyone. Stupid Hurricane!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
TooOld4This wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just had my monday morning flight from Boston--> NYC Cancelled.

All amtrak routes on Monday are sold out. Any ideas on what to do?



1. It's a hurricane that has caused NYC to issue emergency evacuations. The firm will understand if you aren't able to get there (and I would suspect there is a decent chance they are going to cancel on you anyway).

2. Reserve a car. The drive isn't that bad. If driving isn't possible on Monday then see 1.


Just an FYI, most firms I have CBs with specifically say if you plan on renting a car you need to get permission beforehand if seeking reimbursement. I don't know why or how strict the policy is. Just wanted to let you know.

Also, I doubt the firms will mind if you cancel due to a natural emergency. However, even if they don't mind, their schedules are also likely filled for the coming weeks. If they squeeze you in, then it will be a squeezed in interview and likely less good. It's not an ideal situation for anyone. Stupid Hurricane!


Oh come on. I moved a callback from Monday to Wednesday, and the firm was more than eager for me to do so. They were themselves concerned that the necessary folks would be working remotely on Monday and wouldn't be in the office.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TooOld4This wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just had my monday morning flight from Boston--> NYC Cancelled.

All amtrak routes on Monday are sold out. Any ideas on what to do?



1. It's a hurricane that has caused NYC to issue emergency evacuations. The firm will understand if you aren't able to get there (and I would suspect there is a decent chance they are going to cancel on you anyway).

2. Reserve a car. The drive isn't that bad. If driving isn't possible on Monday then see 1.


Just an FYI, most firms I have CBs with specifically say if you plan on renting a car you need to get permission beforehand if seeking reimbursement. I don't know why or how strict the policy is. Just wanted to let you know.

Also, I doubt the firms will mind if you cancel due to a natural emergency. However, even if they don't mind, their schedules are also likely filled for the coming weeks. If they squeeze you in, then it will be a squeezed in interview and likely less good. It's not an ideal situation for anyone. Stupid Hurricane!


Oh come on. I moved a callback from Monday to Wednesday, and the firm was more than eager for me to do so. They were themselves concerned that the necessary folks would be working remotely on Monday and wouldn't be in the office.


Yeah, obviously I'll have to reschedule, which isn't terrible. THe problem is that I'm interviewing in multiple markets, and so won't be able to make it to NYC again for another 2 weeks.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby sunynp » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:01 pm

I wouldn't plan on getting a car. Often car rental agencies sell out - at least around the city it can be impossible to get a car. What do you think the roads will be like with all the people who left for the weekend trying to get back into town? Where are you going to park? Who will be in the office to interview you? I think that you should just reschedule instead of insisting that your schedule be accomadated.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby sunynp » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:08 pm

I think everyone should just reschedule callbacks. You will get to NYC eventually. Acting like your interview is the most important thing to happen on Monday is foolish. If you even make it to the city, you will not be able to get around easily, even on monday. If you have to get here, I would plan on walking wherever you have to go. The only piece of advice I have if you are determined to come in from the north- if you can get to new haven - it may be possible to get a metronorth train to grand central. I would not count on this being open on Monday, and if it is I would plan on standing up the whole way.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Had a trip to the South. Flight canceled. Basically the past week of preparation/planning was a giant waste of time.

This thread makes for great "First World Problems."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Driving from VA to DC this weekend? Thoughts?

User avatar
schuywalker
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:16 pm

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby schuywalker » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Metro-North has suspended all train service due to the expected severity of Hurricane Irene and its impact on our service territory.

Shutting down the system allows Metro-North to secure and protect its equipment and infrastructure from the hurricane force winds and flooding expected to hit the territory.

Grand Central Terminal and all outlying Metro-North station buildings will be closed for the duration of the service suspension.

Our goal is to restore as much service as possible after assessing the storm's impact to critical infrastructure. We urge customers to monitor media reports and to check http://www.mta.info for the latest updates.

--LinkRemoved--

You will most likely not be able to drive in to NYC because the tunnels will most likely be shut down because Zone A on the NYC city side and the mandatory evacuation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:08 pm

Was just at the Reagan Airport (DC) headed to Boston - 15 minutes before my 1:30PM flight, it gets cancelled. My Monday CB has been postponed till an unknown date. The firm was even having me go today to be there "early" and avoid these travel issues.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:43 pm

I was interviewing in Boston this week and attorneys there were talking about coming in to get some work done over the weekend because their harbor views would be cool during the hurricane... I don't think they necessarily have a grip yet up there on what is going down.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby Heartford » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was interviewing in Boston this week and attorneys there were talking about coming in to get some work done over the weekend because their harbor views would be cool during the hurricane... I don't think they necessarily have a grip yet up there on what is going down.


...or maybe they recognize that a lot of the panic about this storm may be unwarranted?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:19 pm

Heartford wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was interviewing in Boston this week and attorneys there were talking about coming in to get some work done over the weekend because their harbor views would be cool during the hurricane... I don't think they necessarily have a grip yet up there on what is going down.


...or maybe they recognize that a lot of the panic about this storm may be unwarranted?


Yeah, Irene isn't going to be more than a large thunderstorm by the time it reaches Boston, and it will be approaching from the landward direction.

User avatar
EijiMiyake
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby EijiMiyake » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:48 pm

Has anyone thought about how difficult it's going to be to contact the firms on Monday morning? My Monday morning flight got cancelled, so I had to cancel my Monday afternoon CB. I left a message yesterday with the recruiting coordinator, but it seems like mass transit is going to be down and folks might not go into work on Monday. Unsure about how to get confirmation of my cancellation/ reschedule things.
Last edited by EijiMiyake on Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hurricane Irene and East Coast Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:59 pm

What about those of us that did callbacks last Friday with firms known to inform successful candidates on the next business day? We probably shouldn't freak out if we don't get a call tomorrow, right?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.