I didn't do thank-yous after my CB... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I didn't do thank-yous after my CB...

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:08 am

Need some advice. I had a CB last friday at one of my top-choice firms. I called one of the interviewers and thanked her that following monday. However, I didn't call or send anything to the guys who interviewed me. They were all younger guys and we all seemed to have similar personalities, and I personally wouldn't want a thank-you note.

Did I make a huge mistake? Should I try to call them tomorrow and say sorry it took me a while to get back to you, or just say screw it?

Thanks.

Ty Webb

Silver

Re: I didn't do thank-yous after my CB...

Post by Ty Webb » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 am

What kind of personality doesn't appreciate a thank you note? A 12-year old one?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:16 am

one who thinks that "thank-yous" are kind of lame and, as someone put it in another thread, sycophantic.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:27 am

I find it interesting that you think there's a personality type that doesn't "want" those things. I find it more interesting that in 20 minutes, you immediately identified (with confidence) a bunch of lawyers as being that personality type.

People who don't appreciate thank you notes have likely never received a genuine one.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Should I try to call them tomorrow and say sorry it took me a while to get back to you, or just say screw it.
Don't worry about it, thank you notes are not necessary (some people say they can only harm you), and those guys turned in their recommendations within an hour of you walking out the door anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:30 am

point taken. but, do you think I should try to mitigate any damage?

and, by the personality I meant they were kind of bro-ish, if that means anything.

EDIT: thanks, Sup Kid.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:52 am

I don't appreciate thank you notes. They are actually really pointless. I never understood them. When you get something from someone, just say thank you and that is it. I seriously never understood the obsession with them, but I suppose they are good for the card stores.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Need some advice. I had a CB last friday at one of my top-choice firms. I called one of the interviewers and thanked her that following monday. However, I didn't call or send anything to the guys who interviewed me. They were all younger guys and we all seemed to have similar personalities, and I personally wouldn't want a thank-you note.

Did I make a huge mistake? Should I try to call them tomorrow and say sorry it took me a while to get back to you, or just say screw it?

Thanks.
I had a similar concern a couple of weeks ago. Some of the people I met on this CB were in their mid-20s, and only 1-2 years out of school. I am in my mid-30s.

I have come to the conclusion that thank you letters are generally useless. The problem is that quite a few law students still think that they matter. Many of those from a couple of years ago are now the young 1-2 year associates with who you interviewed, and they probably still hold that belief. I also tend to think that when young people sit on the other side of the interview table for the first few times, their efforts at finding a job in law school are still fresh in their minds, and they tend to want to see all the things that they held paramount back in their OCI days. They spent hours writing customized cover letters and thank you notes back then, and thus now probably accord a disproportionate importance to those things as gauge of the applicant's diligence and seriousness of interest.

In the end, while I think that recruiters and older lawyers don't give a shite about thank you letters, younger associates very probably do.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:23 am

No idea about any of this, but I lol'ed at referring to those who take time to write a note saying "Had a good time, thanks for taking the time out of your life to interview with me" as "sycophantic."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:50 am

OP here- thanks everyone for your input. Yes, personally I think grown men writing thank you letters to each other is kind of...lame. But, I do acknowledge that some people find value in thank yous.
It isn't like I ran out of the office giving everyone the finger. I was polite and cordial and sincerely thanked each person after the interviews. So, to clarify, I WANT to try and extend more gratitude because it seems like the standard thing to do. But, is it too late?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:and, by the personality I meant they were kind of bro-ish, if that means anything.
I read the OP and said to myself "$5 says this is Skadden."

Now I'm prepared to ante up $10.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:42 pm

I did not write thank you notes after my interview at a V15 firm CB early this week. I interviewed with 2 partners & 2 associates. I received an offer by telephone this afternoon.

Only an idiot would have "thank you notes" actually sway his/her hiring decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:44 pm

They already turned in their evaluations of you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:50 pm

3 offers from V50s. I didn't send a single thank you letter. A recruiter from one of the firms even said that we shouldn't feel pressured to write thank you notes, especially since we have to juggle multiple interviewers during callbacks. I doubt that thank you letters make much of a difference (if any), at least in NYC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”