Taking a Class w/Partners of a Firm You Hope To Work At Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Taking a Class w/Partners of a Firm You Hope To Work At

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:37 pm

So my #1 firm, where I just did a 3L, invitation-only screener that went really well, is sending two partners to my school to teach antitrust. I'm thinking of taking antitrust. And though this is very stupid, I wonder if somehow some really solid participation in the class couldn't have a tiny effect on my chances with the firm. That assumes, however, that I somehow communicate, in a non-awkward way, either to my interviewer or to them that I'm trying to land a position with the firm. Otherwise they'd have no idea.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Taking a Class w/Partners of a Firm You Hope To Work At

Post by romothesavior » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So my #1 firm, where I just did a 3L, invitation-only screener that went really well, is sending two partners to my school to teach antitrust. I'm thinking of taking antitrust. And though this is very stupid, I wonder if somehow some really solid participation in the class couldn't have a tiny effect on my chances with the firm. That assumes, however, that I somehow communicate, in a non-awkward way, either to my interviewer or to them that I'm trying to land a position with the firm. Otherwise they'd have no idea.
If this were a year ago, sure it might help to have their recommendations. But how are you going to develop a meaningful relationship with them by the time CBs and offers happen?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So my #1 firm, where I just did a 3L, invitation-only screener that went really well, is sending two partners to my school to teach antitrust. I'm thinking of taking antitrust. And though this is very stupid, I wonder if somehow some really solid participation in the class couldn't have a tiny effect on my chances with the firm. That assumes, however, that I somehow communicate, in a non-awkward way, either to my interviewer or to them that I'm trying to land a position with the firm. Otherwise they'd have no idea.
If this were a year ago, sure it might help to have their recommendations. But how are you going to develop a meaningful relationship with them by the time CBs and offers happen?
Well, I'm (hopefully, probably) clerking next year. And it seems that the timeline for CBs and offers is elongated in that circumstance. At the very end of my screener, the interviewer asked me to tell the firm when I find out if and where I'm clerking. And that's about three to four weeks from now. So I think it's possible that everything's contingent on that and that there will be no movement until then; that way, they know if I'm looking to work there in 2012, 2013, or 2014 (some clerkships are two years, and if I end up in district court I'm definitely applying for an appellate clerkship next). And given that virtually everyone at this firm clerks, they gain a pretty important data point for their hiring decisions. So there might be enough time for this to matter.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:24 am

I won't out your school/firm here, but if you're trying to be anonymous (enough so that you aren't naming the firm or school), you should aim to give less identifying information in the future. Just a heads-up.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:25 am

You just outted yourself bigtime. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:33 am

Well yes, I think the identity of the firm and school is quite obvious if people from the firm were to sit and read the thread - not sure why they would.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:16 am

Did anyone think that maybe OP was smarter than all of you and used the word antitrust in place of something else, like IP or bankruptcy etc.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:36 am

There's a great chance that I'm smarter than everyone in this thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:52 am

First, you should improve your writing. It sucks. I understand that internet posts aren't the best exemplar of your writing in general. But one can take away a lot from how you structure sentences.

Second, it's a good idea to take a class with a firm partner. But you must remember that your classmates are also gunning for the same job with the same partner. Keep that in mind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Remind me not to sign up for that class, it sounds absolutely unbearable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”