Multiple Callbacks on One Trip Different "Tiers" of Prestige

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Multiple Callbacks on One Trip Different "Tiers" of Prestige

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:14 pm

edit: my bad

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
You're missing the larger point.

Why wouldn't the firm just offer the second person at the same time it offered the first? If the firm is basically certain that the first choice person wouldn't accept, where is the harm in offering them and then offering the "second choice" person who is more likely to accept at the same time? If the first person unexpectedly accepts, then why is the firm in trouble? It has 1 extra summer associate?

Do firms have to report the % of offers that were accepted thus creating an incentive to yield protect?

LTK alt?
No, they don't report yield, but they do have to either hire everyone they summer to the tune of $160k + benefits or else report they didn't offer everyone. Obviously firms need to watch "enrollment" a LOT more carefully than schools.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If the first person unexpectedly accepts, then why is the firm in trouble? It has 1 extra summer associate?

Huge facepalm.

Why?

IAFG is right. You do seem dumb.

downstream

Postby downstream » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:16 pm

I get it.

But if the firm really likes someone, especially enough to give them a callback, would they really not offer due to the fact that they feel the person is likely to go to another firm? I guess I wouldn't want to work for a firm like that.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I get it.

But if the firm really likes someone, especially enough to give them a callback, would they really not offer due to the fact that they feel the person is likely to go to another firm? I guess I wouldn't want to work for a firm like that.

BECAUSE THEY MIGHT STRING YOU ALONG AND PREVENT YOU FROM HIRNG YOUR SECOND CHOICE!!!

Yeah I also would not want to work at a well-managed firm, that's why I only bid on Orrick, Heller and Thelen.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I get it.

...you'd be surprised. cb is hardly an in, and while the notion that a person is very likely to go to another firm is not dispositive, it can certainly be a factor.

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If the first person unexpectedly accepts, then why is the firm in trouble? It has 1 extra summer associate?

Huge facepalm.

Why?

lulwut

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:22 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Huge facepalm.

Why?

lulwut

I am still scratching my head. Does anon really not understand why overextending offers is a really big issue for law firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:36 pm

Similar, but not quite the same question: Interviewing with four firms in DC. Three do a lot of regulatory work, one specializes in tax (but is good at other stuff as well). I'm interested in both regulatory work and tax, but I feel weird telling the tax firm that I'm interviewing with firms that don't even have real tax departments. Is this a problem?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:15 am

I've had interviewers ask me who else I was talking to, and I don't go anywhere close to HYS (T50-60). I got the sense that the interviewer from this one midsize IP boutique was definitely trying to gauge my "worth" that way. I was an alternate, and my stats weren't that great. Alternatively, she may have been trying to gauge my level of interest in the region (her question was limited to the region).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:52 am

I'd be more worried about only having one callback in a region, then the firm would know you are striking out.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:54 am

This is one of the most prestigious threads I've ever seen on TLS.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

Here's a Q--I'm a student at HY, and I'm going to be working in LA/SF. I've got 4 CBs lined up for a trip next week. One of them was an absolute top choice, while the other three are V75-100 firms that were not at the top of my list (frankly, I'm doing CBs with them because OCI just ended and they are the only ones that have responded, along with this other firm).

This might be a silly concern, but will it reflect poorly on me at this one top choice that I'm also doing CBs on this trip with firms that this firm would not consider to be 'in its league'?

Remember that time that Chicago beats your school in placement hard? There are around five times as many Harvard kids without SAs as Chicago kids. Maybe its because of this attitude.

Also, I am assuming you are Harvard, or you wouldn't have written HY.

Postby 20121109 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:45 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Btw, this is why I absolutely despise speaking with the H student "friends" of mine. Their arrogance and snobbery is insufferable, even when they don't mean to be arrogant.

Truth.

LIES! And I know that for a fact because I R WINNER.

+1

lulz...

So funny when people complain about HLS students.

As a rising 2L I have no clue what this dude is talking about... I honestly have yet to meet a person who is insufferably arrogant or snobby. In fact, I quite enjoy the company of all of my section mates, affinity group members and then some. Who knows? Maybe I just keep good company or maybe HLS students are only considered insufferable by those who don't actually attend the school...

Oh well...

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:58 am

Hemholtz - Not really sure why you don't understand the criticism of the OP who "only took the 3 callbacks from V75-100 firms because it is so early in the CB season" when others would kill to have those callbacks. The post combines arrogance with paranoia. Of course the higher-ranked firm will not care. Do we really need the internet to figure this out? Other posters are right that the lower-ranked firms may care, but they need not assume the better firm will give OP an offer (he may -- shock -- not get one), and since this dude is so amazingly qualified, they may have already assumed he would have these kind of offers and think he would consider them anyway.

YP seems do be more important for firms than law schools, since it is fairly easy and a net money-gainer to accept one more student.

I would not extend my criticism of OP to all (or most) Harvard students. My earlier post was just meant to say OP was being silly and a little pretentious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:13 am

KMaine wrote:Hemholtz - Not really sure why you don't understand the criticism of the OP who "only took the 3 callbacks from V75-100 firms because it is so early in the CB season" when others would kill to have those callbacks. The post combines arrogance with paranoia. Of course the higher-ranked firm will not care. Do we really need the internet to figure this out? Other posters are right that the lower-ranked firms may care, but they need not assume the better firm will give OP an offer (he may -- shock -- not get one), and since this dude is so amazingly qualified, they may have already assumed he would have these kind of offers and think he would consider them anyway.

YP seems do be more important for firms than law schools, since it is fairly easy and a net money-gainer to accept one more student.

I would not extend my criticism of OP to all (or most) Harvard students. My earlier post was just meant to say OP was being silly and a little pretentious.

OP Here--Are you trolling? I usually pass over stuff like this on other people's threads, but I'm amazed that you have construed my attitude the way you have from my posts in this thread. Where did I say I was amazingly qualified? I feel like I have almost no shot at the CB with the very prestigious firm late next week, and I'm wondering whether this other issue will impact it.

I can't tell whether you're taking out your own frustrations via posting on TLS or what, but your responses are totally unreasonable and do not contribute to this thread.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:43 am

TaipeiMort wrote:

Here's a Q--I'm a student at HY, and I'm going to be working in LA/SF. I've got 4 CBs lined up for a trip next week. One of them was an absolute top choice, while the other three are V75-100 firms that were not at the top of my list (frankly, I'm doing CBs with them because OCI just ended and they are the only ones that have responded, along with this other firm).

This might be a silly concern, but will it reflect poorly on me at this one top choice that I'm also doing CBs on this trip with firms that this firm would not consider to be 'in its league'?

Remember that time that Chicago beats your school in placement hard? There are around five times as many Harvard kids without SAs as Chicago kids. Maybe its because of this attitude.

Lol.

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:34 am

the only question is whether your "second tier" firms do the same type of work as your "first tier" firms... for example, wachtell might raise an eyebrow if you told them you were in town to do cbs with boies schiller and paul weiss, but they prob won't care if it's dewey, gibson dunn or clifford chance.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:40 am

0L here, but I'd like to hear a response for future reference: Isn't this a little like having safety schools, where a good school won't care about the safety, but the safety might YP because of the better school?

Postby 20121109 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:52 am

acrossthelake wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:

Lol.

This, too. I love how people jump to conclusions around here.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:43 pm

downstream wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Huge facepalm.

Why?

Because one extra summer associate can translate into many extra summer associates which can translate to a bloated staff which can translate to Latham circa 2009 which translates to mass lay offs. Especially in an economy that is as delicate as ours is right now, firms are going to be sensitive to not over-hire and risk deferments, no-offers, or anything that can hurt their bottom line..

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is nothing wrong with this question. I think the OP is wise to consider this. If a top-tier firm thinks that all of your other options are well beneath them, they may begin to have doubts about whether you're really top-tier talent. How is this controversial?

Not sure how this shows that HLS students are snobs...

no this is retarded.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:00 pm

This thread demonstrates a drastic misunderstanding of the process. Decisions are made by committee. Nobody would say this shit out loud in a room with other people. They ask because the recruiting department wants stats and info on competitors.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
KMaine wrote:Hemholtz - Not really sure why you don't understand the criticism of the OP who "only took the 3 callbacks from V75-100 firms because it is so early in the CB season" when others would kill to have those callbacks. The post combines arrogance with paranoia. Of course the higher-ranked firm will not care. Do we really need the internet to figure this out? Other posters are right that the lower-ranked firms may care, but they need not assume the better firm will give OP an offer (he may -- shock -- not get one), and since this dude is so amazingly qualified, they may have already assumed he would have these kind of offers and think he would consider them anyway.

OP Here--Are you trolling? I usually pass over stuff like this on other people's threads, but I'm amazed that you have construed my attitude the way you have from my posts in this thread. Where did I say I was amazingly qualified? I feel like I have almost no shot at the CB with the very prestigious firm late next week, and I'm wondering whether this other issue will impact it.

I can't tell whether you're taking out your own frustrations via posting on TLS or what, but your responses are totally unreasonable and do not contribute to this thread.

Hey, OP - I am sorry that you find my posts so unconstructive. I am surprized that you find them unreasonable. I can assure you that I am usually not very unreasonable, and I am not at all frustrated. My post was meant to tell you that some people may see your OP as arrogant. Did I exaggerate? Yes. Was I trying to be a little funny at your expense? Yes. My straight answer is that I think it is a stupid and paranoid question. Obviously, some disaree with this. I will stay out of your thread. Honestly, I do wish you the best of luck.

Return to “Legal Employment”