greatest number of CBs with no offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

greatest number of CBs with no offer

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:23 pm

What's the largest number of CBs you've heard of someone getting without getting an offer?

Cavalier

Gold

Re: greatest number of CBs with no offer

Post by Cavalier » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:38 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm

i'm sorry, but i fail to see what possible purpose this thread can serve other than to make people who are already on edge freak out even more (especially those who fall way short of 10 CBs).

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:07 pm

I've heard of people who struck out with 8 chances. On the other hand I have heard of people getting an offer with only 1 callback. It is case-by-case with the person being considered and firm interviewing. The only thing to do is do the best you can in every chance you get until you get what you want.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:11 pm

Glock wrote:On the other hand I have heard of people getting an offer with only 1 callback
I don't believe it. Surely you need more than one callback in order to receive an offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:16 pm

How could somebody get 8 callbacks and then not get on offer?

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:30 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Glock wrote:On the other hand I have heard of people getting an offer with only 1 callback
I don't believe it. Surely you need more than one callback in order to receive an offer.

I am sure you'll agree that it is less likely with 1 than more?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:35 pm

I'm pretty sure you only need one. Probability is on your side once you have 3 or 4. Not getting one offer from 8 CBs is statistically unlikely but then again this is assuming each CB is an independent event. That is not quite true. Kind of like assuming that people with below median numbers will get into 1/14 T14s.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Don't worry about this. If you have the interviewing skills to get 8 CB's, you likely have the interviewing skills to secure at least 1 offer. Think positively. Don't ask "how many can one get and still strike out?" Instead, ask yourself "how few CB's can one get and still get a job?" The answer is 1. So just treat every CB as if its the only one you have, prepare your ass off, work up the charm, and stay positive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How could somebody get 8 callbacks and then not get on offer?

It depends on the callback to offer ratio. If the average firm has a 50% CB/O ratio then the average candidate has a less than 1% chance of striking out with 8. If the average firm has a 33% offer ratio gives the average candidate a 4% chance of striking out.

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Post by What the f.supp? » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:40 pm

RVP11 wrote:
I'm hardly a rockstar, but I got an offer the evening after my first callback and then canceled the rest.

I am not sure whether by 'need' you mean you actually have to go on the callback or whether that could mean just qualifying for additional callbacks. I would probably agree with the latter; if you only qualified for one callback, I'd guess that it would tough to land an offer, because by virtue of only receiving just one, you are probably not as qualified--academically/socially--as others (I can't think of a better word than 'socially' for the ability to make a good impression and dazzle in the screeners.)

However I am just spit-ballling and wildly generalizing--just my gut feeling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:47 pm

I think a lot of people's CB:Offer ratios comes down to how often they were at the margins of getting a CB in the first place and their interviewing consistency. Because you only have 1 screener, if you connect with him or her, you're likely to receive a CB if your credentials are there. OTOH, you have multiple interviewers in a CB situation any one of whom could veto you.

Edit: Oops, not supposed to be anonymous.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:31 pm

Cavalier wrote:Ten.
What happened? He went to a T14 right... was it just the really tough market conditions that year?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't worry about this. If you have the interviewing skills to get 8 CB's, you likely have the interviewing skills to secure at least 1 offer. Think positively. Don't ask "how many can one get and still strike out?" Instead, ask yourself "how few CB's can one get and still get a job?" The answer is 1. So just treat every CB as if its the only one you have, prepare your ass off, work up the charm, and stay positive.
like a boss

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:47 pm

THIS IS THE EPITOME OF A USELESS THREAD THAT JUST MAKES PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY NERVOUS THAT MUCH MORE NERVOUS. PATHETIC.

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:THIS IS THE EPITOME OF A USELESS THREAD THAT JUST MAKES PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY NERVOUS THAT MUCH MORE NERVOUS. PATHETIC.

THIS ONLY THING THIS USELESS POST DID WAS LET PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT NERVOUS KNOW THEY SHOULD BE NERVOUS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Glock wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:THIS IS THE EPITOME OF A USELESS THREAD THAT JUST MAKES PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY NERVOUS THAT MUCH MORE NERVOUS. PATHETIC.

THIS ONLY THING THIS USELESS POST DID WAS LET PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT NERVOUS KNOW THEY SHOULD BE NERVOUS.
First of all, you mean "THE only thing"...nice though. Also, if your getting nervous from a post that calls a thread useless, then your prospects for surviving in big law seem pretty bleak, from a personality perspective.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Glock wrote:

First of all, you mean "THE only thing"...nice though. Also, if your getting nervous from a post that calls a thread useless, then your prospects for surviving in big law seem pretty bleak, from a personality perspective.

I am just making fun of the histrionics. I'm good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:30 pm

I had 14 callbacks and no offer. The last callback I had I got an offer at. Whew.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 am

I've heard that some schools give their students statistics of call back to offer ration from past years. Is that true? If so, care to share any firms with notoriously good/bad ratios? In other words, which CBs should we feel good about?

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard that some schools give their students statistics of call back to offer ration from past years. Is that true? If so, care to share any firms with notoriously good/bad ratios? In other words, which CBs should we feel good about?
check out this thread

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=100

Basically, Sull Crom is ridiculously good (90% offer rate) and DPW is notoriously bad (25% offer rate) most are around 50%

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:17 am

RVP11 wrote:
I am a 3L.
Last year, I got only one callback and received the offer the day after my callback.

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
I am a 3L.
Last year, I got only one callback and received the offer the day after my callback.

To be fair, RVP11 was obviously kidding.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:51 am

Glock wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
I am a 3L.

To be fair, RVP11 was obviously kidding.

This. I know sarcasm is hard to read on the web, but come on folks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”