Declining callbacks Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Declining callbacks

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:15 pm

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed numerous times, but what is the etiquette for declining callbacks? E-mail/call interviewer? Is it ever OK to simply take this up with the recruiting department (i.e. if you head directly from them, and not your interviewer)?

Thanks.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Re: Declining callbacks

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Apologies in advance if this has been discussed numerous times, but what is the etiquette for declining callbacks? E-mail/call interviewer? Is it ever OK to simply take this up with the recruiting department (i.e. if you head directly from them, and not your interviewer)?

Thanks.
I always called the recruiting department (to make sure they got the message in a timely fashion), then followed up with an email to the interviewer saying thanks for meeting me, but I've decided to cancel my callback in favor of another firm. Calling your interviewer is a bit awkward.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:11 pm

i realize how rude i am for doing this, but i just never scheduled a CB at a firm i really don't want to work at. i felt bad/awkward about declining the partner directly when he called me. i got the call in the middle of the CB frenzy immediately following OCI, and forgot to schedule it for a few days after that. i eventually realized i had never scheduled it, but felt awkward about calling the recruiting department over a week after receiving the initial CB and just let it go. i have no idea how this is going to work out or if they'll even notice that i "forgot" to schedule the CB...

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:17 pm

To OP: I'm assuming that you are only declining once you have at least one offer in your pocket? Otherwise, I feel like you should take all the CBs you get until you land something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i realize how rude i am for doing this, but i just never scheduled a CB at a firm i really don't want to work at. i felt bad/awkward about declining the partner directly when he called me. i got the call in the middle of the CB frenzy immediately following OCI, and forgot to schedule it for a few days after that. i eventually realized i had never scheduled it, but felt awkward about calling the recruiting department over a week after receiving the initial CB and just let it go. i have no idea how this is going to work out or if they'll even notice that i "forgot" to schedule the CB...
How long has it been? You need to call them. Never calling is, as you acknowledged, very rude. I have also heard (anecdotally) of this affecting how other firms in the same market evaluate you as a candidate, esp. if it is a smaller market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Sorry, I am the anon poster above.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i realize how rude i am for doing this, but i just never scheduled a CB at a firm i really don't want to work at. i felt bad/awkward about declining the partner directly when he called me. i got the call in the middle of the CB frenzy immediately following OCI, and forgot to schedule it for a few days after that. i eventually realized i had never scheduled it, but felt awkward about calling the recruiting department over a week after receiving the initial CB and just let it go. i have no idea how this is going to work out or if they'll even notice that i "forgot" to schedule the CB...
You should call the recruiting department or coordinator, and just politely let them know that you were invited to a callback, but that you will have to politely decline. Just be professional about it. Trust me, the recruiting contact person who keeps the scheduling won't be offended, nor will he/she care.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:27 pm

Yeah I would just call them and let them know you won't be coming, even if it has already been a week. Just apologize for not contacting them earlier, but you got caught up in some stuff, and unfortunately you have to decline their callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
How long has it been? You need to call them. Never calling is, as you acknowledged, very rude. I have also heard (anecdotally) of this affecting how other firms in the same market evaluate you as a candidate, esp. if it is a smaller market.
i am the anon who posted this. i do feel guilty about never contacting them, so i'm planning on calling after hours tonight & leaving a voicemail (i feel like that would be less awkward than having a conversation with an actual recruiter) that i really enjoyed meeting w/ them during OCI but will have to decline the CB, etc.

out of curiosity though, do the recruiting departments at firms really communicate about this, especially in regard to particular candidates?? this just seems far-fetched to me, and maybe it's because i'm applying to all NY firms where i can't imagine this ever affecting someone's chances at a different firm (as opposed to a more regional market where everyone knows everyone else).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:56 pm

monkey85 wrote:To OP: I'm assuming that you are only declining once you have at least one offer in your pocket? Otherwise, I feel like you should take all the CBs you get until you land something.
OP here. I understand what you are saying, and that has been absolutely pounded into my head over and over, but I'm likely a bit of a unique example. I work full-time, so scheduling 10+ CBs, while juggling my job and class is a bit unrealistic.

So the consensus is just decline with the recruiting department, and send a polite e-mail to the interviewer?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote: i am the anon who posted this. i do feel guilty about never contacting them, so i'm planning on calling after hours tonight & leaving a voicemail (i feel like that would be less awkward than having a conversation with an actual recruiter) that i really enjoyed meeting w/ them during OCI but will have to decline the CB, etc.

out of curiosity though, do the recruiting departments at firms really communicate about this, especially in regard to particular candidates?? this just seems far-fetched to me, and maybe it's because i'm applying to all NY firms where i can't imagine this ever affecting someone's chances at a different firm (as opposed to a more regional market where everyone knows everyone else).
Very unlikely (but not impossible) in NYC. Maybe in smaller markets. To give you an idea, it's not likely they're going to start calling every other firm just in case to try to get you blackballed. But for instance, one of my friends who works in recruiting at a bank is friends with several other bank recruiters, and they sometimes get dinner or whatever. Inevitably work comes up, and they sometimes tell stories that really stand out. That's the only way it would happen, but it's extremely unlikely in NY.

Still, just call them. It won't be awkward. Do it after hours if you feel more comfortable, but I guarantee if you just call right now and speak to them they won't care or blink twice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”