Is September 14 too late for a callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is September 14 too late for a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:14 am

Is that too late or still early enough?

Anonymous User

Re: Is September 14 too late for a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:20 am

In NYC- probably. Other places, who knows.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is that too late or still early enough?

I would think you should schedule as early as you can, if it's in your control. If the employer does not have slots until the 14th then don't worry about it. I was just told that a firm which called me back didn't have any openings until about that time, and I don't think that's a big deal. There's also nothing to be done about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:24 am

I have one callback with Arnold & Porter in NYC on September 21. The HR person said it's not late, but I am worried. She had initially suggested the 25th, so I guess they do things later than firms that are based in NYC? A&P is DC-based, but the interview is with the NY office.

I have another callback in DC on September 12, which I hope is not too late. It seems odd that they would schedule them so late...I am a little worried.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:26 am

It depends on the firm. Some, even in NYC, do not start callbacks until September because everyone is on vacay in August.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:45 am

For the big new york firms that is very late. For other markets, or the ny branches of firms based elsewhere, that's not too bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:46 am

Yes, I'm worried too. I have a V25 NYC callback that the earliest day available was September 21st. Seems very late, but I just got the callback...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:46 am

I had my Kirkland NYC callback last year September 30ish and got an offer. September 14 is not too late.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:47 am

When I set up my callback with Clifford Chance last week, the earliest opening they had was the week of September 19th. Sidley's earliest was week of Sept. 12th, same for Willkie.

It is what it is, I can't do anything about it or control it. I call, set it up for the earliest day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:52 am

I think this entirely depends on your school's OCI and when it occurred relative to other schools. I have plenty of callbacks mid-September to late September and I'm not too worried.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:57 am

What difference does it make? Get the earliest slot that works for you and them, that's all you can do. Earlier is better but if it was "too late," i.e. they aren't hiring anymore, they wouldn't schedule them like that.

FWIW it seems most NYC firms are full until mid month already. I got CBs between sept 14 and 19. Some places haven't even done OCI yet (Chicago if I'm not mistaken) so people will definitely be doing even later callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had my Kirkland NYC callback last year September 30ish and got an offer. September 14 is not too late.

I called the day I received my CB invitation which was the same day as my screener. Even then, Kirkland did not have any slots until well into September. From what I have heard from firms, the august callbacks are a relatively recent thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I have heard from firms, the august callbacks are a relatively recent thing.

I have heard the same thing from a number of firms. Some attorneys have even expressed surprise at how far up the OCI process has been pushed. I think the TLS focus on early callbacks is a little bit overblown.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I have heard from firms, the august callbacks are a relatively recent thing.

I have heard the same thing from a number of firms. Some attorneys have even expressed surprise at how far up the OCI process has been pushed. I think the TLS focus on early callbacks is a little bit overblown.

Agreed. I set up a callback with a firm today whose earliest slot was September 26th. The recruiter sensed my hesitation, I think, and told me they were having people come in well into October and that I definitely should not worry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Agreed. I set up a callback with a firm today whose earliest slot was September 26th. The recruiter sensed my hesitation, I think, and told me they were having people come in well into October and that I definitely should not worry.

I have straight asked these firms whether it would be a disadvantage and they have said no. however, I have a ton of callbacks now and one great offer already. If a lot of other people are in a similar place as me, I wonder if those firms with late callbacks will get burned and move them up next year.

FWIW, I have heard a couple of partners say that they think NALP should do something to stop this crap. Something similar to the first application date that 1Ls have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:23 pm

They will, because of the 28-day period. I wonder how flexible firms will be with extending offers this year - I had an offer already with more callbacks scheduled right around the 28-day mark and told those firms I'd have to move them up or cancel. What a power trip... that's not good for anybody, hope they change the guidelines.

Return to “Legal Employment”