3L Callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:56 pm

Can we get a list going with firms that have given callbacks to 3Ls? Also, is their process generally slower than it is for 2Ls?

Anonymous User

Re: 3L Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:10 am

This is an interesting question. I had a screener with a firm today, and at the end she's like, so let us know how the clerkship process goes. And on the one hand, that seems to foreclose the possibility of my being rejected out of hand - I won't even know until mid-to-late September so you'd think by then they'd reject me if they were going to reject me, and you wouldn't ask for that info from someone you were going to reject - but on the other, is that supposed to mean a callback is contingent on where/whether I clerk? Because normally, in the typical OCI process, I'd know by the end of the week whether I had a callback, and the callback might even happen prior to my clerkship interviews.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:53 pm

I have heard that some firms wait until 2L hiring slows down before they move to 3L, but don't you think they would have a better idea of 3L needs than 2L?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have heard that some firms wait until 2L hiring slows down before they move to 3L, but don't you think they would have a better idea of 3L needs than 2L?

Yes. 3L needs are much easier to predict. That's why a few of us have moved exclusively to 3L hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:06 pm

so lawfirmrecruiter, what am I to make of this "tell us if you clerk" thing?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so lawfirmrecruiter, what am I to make of this "tell us if you clerk" thing?

Well with 3L hiring, there is usually a defined need. They are asking about clerkships to see if you are going to defer which will still mean they need to fill a spot. It wouldn't be out of bounds to ask what their ploy is about clerkships and offer deferrals.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:21 pm

But does it mean that I am in consideration for a spot? Otherwise, if they hate me, I can go clerk for merrick garland himself and my doing so doesn't affect their plans. (though maybe if that happened they'd reconsider.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:This is an interesting question. I had a screener with a firm today, and at the end she's like, so let us know how the clerkship process goes. And on the one hand, that seems to foreclose the possibility of my being rejected out of hand - I won't even know until mid-to-late September so you'd think by then they'd reject me if they were going to reject me, and you wouldn't ask for that info from someone you were going to reject - but on the other, is that supposed to mean a callback is contingent on where/whether I clerk? Because normally, in the typical OCI process, I'd know by the end of the week whether I had a callback, and the callback might even happen prior to my clerkship interviews.

Williams and Connoly?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:56 am

Um, in that ballpark. But I suppose I shouldn't announce precisely where that happened.

Return to “Legal Employment”