Dechert callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TrueBlue221

Dechert callback

Postby TrueBlue221 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I just received a callback interview with Dechert. Because this is my first callback, I came here hoping for some tips or advice about what to expect. If any of you know anything about the firm (beyond what I can find on their website/ NALP directory/ etc.), I'd love to hear.

Thanks so much.
Last edited by TrueBlue221 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazyblink653

Re: Dechert callback

Postby crazyblink653 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:39 pm

TrueBlue221 wrote:Hi everyone,

I just received a callback interview with Dechert in Philadelphia. Because this is my first callback, I came here hoping for some tips or advice about what to expect. If any of you know anything about the firm (beyond what I can find on their website/ NALP directory/ etc.), I'd love to hear.

Stats:
T20 school
~3.5 gpa

Thanks so much.

bump. interested in this, as well.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Search the employment forums, there's quite a lot of information on preparing for your callbacks.

A quick rundown though is basically you are going to interview with 3 to 4 attorneys (usually 2 partners and 2 associates). They'll be 30 minutes each, and quite like your initial 20 minute interview if you had one of those on campus.

What you should be prepared for is questions about anything on your resume, some stuff about your law school experience, and basic interview type questions like strength/ weaknesses/ special skills, etc. You want your answers to go beyond surface level and display your legal and analytical ability (by things you DID, not just by saying you have these skills).

Then you also want to know enough about Dechert and whichever office your interviewing at to be able to ask relevant and specific questions, particularly in the practice groups where you are interested in working. This is because usually around 10 minutes out of the 30 will be left open for you to question your interviewer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:01 pm

Interestingly, I didn't receive a callback from Dechert Philly in spite of being in the top 1% of my t14 class - it was a very low-energy interview, but he was an incredibly low-energy interviewer. I was pretty weak, I suppose, on the "what kind of firm would you like to work at" part of the interview. But I did ask him good questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:53 pm

that's so strange that the "Anonymous" above didn't receive a call back. I wonder what dechert's usual stats are for hiring. I thought 3.5 sounded kind of low

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:that's so strange that the "Anonymous" above didn't receive a call back. I wonder what dechert's usual stats are for hiring. I thought 3.5 sounded kind of low

philly firms are somewhat big on ties. do you have any ties to the region or at least a compelling reason for wanting to go to philly over the other big market firms in the area (NYC and DC)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:19 pm

I have family ties and employment ties in Philly. What about you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have family ties and employment ties in Philly. What about you?

same. i think i just really hit it off with the interviewer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:that's so strange that the "Anonymous" above didn't receive a call back. I wonder what dechert's usual stats are for hiring. I thought 3.5 sounded kind of low

philly firms are somewhat big on ties. do you have any ties to the region or at least a compelling reason for wanting to go to philly over the other big market firms in the area (NYC and DC)?

I am Mr. "that's so strange." I'm from here. Indeed, I'm sitting in Philly right now. And though I don't really want to work here, I don't think I telegraphed that at all; he said why Philly, I said, I'm from it, and he moved on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have family ties and employment ties in Philly. What about you?

Were you offered a position?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:43 pm

If you're top 1% at a T14, you have to really have a good reason for the "Why X firm?" question when a firm that isn't super-selective asks it, or you won't get a callback. They assume you're probably not interested.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:01 pm

All the needless anonymity makes this thread really confusing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you're top 1% at a T14, you have to really have a good reason for the "Why X firm?" question when a firm that isn't super-selective asks it, or you won't get a callback. They assume you're probably not interested.

They're probably the best firm in Philly and I said I wanted to live in Philly because that's where I'm from. Hardly an unconvincing story. And I'm a 3L, with no 2L SA position (I transferred into the t14, mis-bid - it's a long story). I think I just had an extremely blase interview. A friend who interviewed with him had the same experience. Just one of those guys, I guess, where you have to take matters in to your own hands to enliven the conversation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Were you offered a position?

i got a CB

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:35 am

So I just tried to schedule a callback at Dechert NY and they couldn't get me in until late October. What gives? I feel like I was basically no callbacked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I just tried to schedule a callback at Dechert NY and they couldn't get me in until late October. What gives? I feel like I was basically no callbacked.

What school do you go to? I just scheduled mine with them yesterday for mid/late September. I guess it's possible I got a date that someone had cancelled out of, but they offered my September date.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I just tried to schedule a callback at Dechert NY and they couldn't get me in until late October. What gives? I feel like I was basically no callbacked.

What school do you go to? I just scheduled mine with them yesterday for mid/late September. I guess it's possible I got a date that someone had cancelled out of, but they offered my September date.

I had gotten one for mid-October as well. They said to call every week to try and move it earlier.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:10 am

I go to a T25. Maybe I'm not a real candidate, but that seems like a waste of money to fly me in just to reject me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:37 am

I haven't been able to schedule mine at all (for NY) despite calling and emailing several times. I can't wait until October because I have an offer that is only open 28 days, so I don't know....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't been able to schedule mine at all (for NY) despite calling and emailing several times. I can't wait until October because I have an offer that is only open 28 days, so I don't know....

i called almost immediately after i got my CB and they still couldn't get me in until mid-September (at the Philly office). I think Dechert may not start doing CBs as early as everyone else, so maybe an October interview isn't so bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:56 pm

anyone get an offer/rejection from dechert CB yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't been able to schedule mine at all (for NY) despite calling and emailing several times. I can't wait until October because I have an offer that is only open 28 days, so I don't know....

I had to schedule mine for mid/late October, and the person told me to call back if I have a deadline coming up and they will move me if they have any slots open up.

Dechert is one of these places that rejects about 3/4 of its callbacks, according to some other info on this site, so maybe they're just not as concerned with the process in general. Or maybe they fill the class by mid-September and reject everyone who hasn't interviewed yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:11 pm

I also have a 28 day offer window closing so maybe they will be able to fit me in early. Also remember that many people will be cancelling callbacks as they get offers, so slots will open up earlier.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I had to schedule mine for mid/late October, and the person told me to call back if I have a deadline coming up and they will move me if they have any slots open up.

Dechert is one of these places that rejects about 3/4 of its callbacks, according to some other info on this site, so maybe they're just not as concerned with the process in general. Or maybe they fill the class by mid-September and reject everyone who hasn't interviewed yet.

How do you know that Dechert rejects 3/4 of its callbacks?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:53 am

Heartford wrote:All the needless anonymity makes this thread really confusing.

Fucking a right.

Return to “Legal Employment”