Thank you emails

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thank you emails

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:49 pm

When should the thank you emails be sent? I had my callback today from 10am-12pm.
Thanks.

Edited to fix AM/PM mixup./
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Re: Thank you emails

Postby MrKappus » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:55 pm

You should wait until morning.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:58 pm

I'd just do it a few hours afterward. I don't think you need to wait till morning.

Whatever.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Doubtful it really matters. Nobody is going to go "ZOMG HE SENT IT A FEW HOURS AFTER, WHAT AN UNGRATEFUL INTERVIEWEE."

I typically send it an hour or two after the interviewer is done for the day.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:39 pm

OBJECTION: Asked and answered.

nyutransfer

Postby nyutransfer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Many firms collect your emails so make sure not to send the same thing to multiple interviewers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:38 pm

Why would it make a difference if you sent it late at night or early the next morning? If you send it late at night... won't they read it the next morning? Personally, I won't have time to send them the next morning, since I have another callback and don't want to be thinking about the first one, which will confuse me. I can't imagine this would really be a huge problem, but then, first go-round for me, so what do I know?

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:39 pm

My advice: don't write thank you emails unless you have something VERY specific to thank the interviewer about that doesn't make you look like a sycophantic loser. They score you no points if they're generic and they have the potential to hurt you.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:42 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:My advice: don't write thank you emails unless you have something VERY specific to thank the interviewer about that doesn't make you look like a sycophantic loser. They score you no points if they're generic and have the potential to hurt you.

It should go -> thank you again for talking to me -> I enjoyed talking with you about x y z -> I hope that my interview highlighted x y z qualities about why I would be a good fit -> let me know if you have any questions about my candidacy.

Sending thank you emails is a courteous thing to do, as long as you make it somewhat personal, it doesn't make you a sycophantic loser. :roll:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:50 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:My advice: don't write thank you emails unless you have something VERY specific to thank the interviewer about that doesn't make you look like a sycophantic loser. They score you no points if they're generic and they have the potential to hurt you.

It really depends on the market, IMO. Attorneys in smaller markets or smaller firms seem to appreciate this stuff more, and they might make a small bit of difference for a variety of reasons... (slower turnaround from screener to CB, more selective since they are hiring only a few people, greater emphasis on "fit" and interest level of the candidate than some larger firms, etc.) I generally send them when I think an interview went well, but I think they might be skeptical about my interest in the firm (like if it is an out of town firm). It may not help, but I think it could, and some of my friends and some of the 3Ls swear by them. I've also been told they are a good idea by some recruiters and mock interviewers in my market. YMMV

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:59 am

beach_terror wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:My advice: don't write thank you emails unless you have something VERY specific to thank the interviewer about that doesn't make you look like a sycophantic loser. They score you no points if they're generic and have the potential to hurt you.

It should go -> thank you again for talking to me -> I enjoyed talking with you about x y z -> I hope that my interview highlighted x y z qualities about why I would be a good fit -> let me know if you have any questions about my candidacy.

Sending thank you emails is a courteous thing to do, as long as you make it somewhat personal, it doesn't make you a sycophantic loser. :roll:

Everyone has their own opinion, and I understand your point of view. The bottom line is that I've NEVER heard of an attorney EXPECTING a thank you email from someone. I can't imagine someone would ding you for not writing a thank you email. Almost all of them are immediately deleted anyway.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:02 am

romothesavior wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:My advice: don't write thank you emails unless you have something VERY specific to thank the interviewer about that doesn't make you look like a sycophantic loser. They score you no points if they're generic and they have the potential to hurt you.

It really depends on the market, IMO. Attorneys in smaller markets or smaller firms seem to appreciate this stuff more, and they might make a small bit of difference for a variety of reasons... (slower turnaround from screener to CB, more selective since they are hiring only a few people, greater emphasis on "fit" and interest level of the candidate than some larger firms, etc.) I generally send them when I think an interview went well, but I think they might be skeptical about my interest in the firm (like if it is an out of town firm). It may not help, but I think it could, and some of my friends and some of the 3Ls swear by them. I've also been told they are a good idea by some recruiters and mock interviewers in my market. YMMV

I agree somewhat with the smaller market theory, but I still think it should be highly personalized. The second someone senses a hint of boilerplatey-ness, I'm sure the email gets auto-deleted.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:03 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Everyone has their own opinion, and I understand your point of view. The bottom line is that I've NEVER heard of an attorney EXPECTING a thank you email from someone. I can't imagine someone would ding you for not writing a thank you email. Almost all of them are immediately deleted anyway.

Agreed with you until the last sentence, which seems very pulled out of your ass.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:04 am

romothesavior wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

Agreed with you until the last sentence, which seems very pulled out of your ass.

These are busy people we're talking about. I'm sure once they read the first few words which would be something like: "Thank you for taking the time to interview me," they delete the shit out of that email and go back to the 400 other emails they have to read before they can actually start billing. Admittedly, this doesn't apply to highly personalized emails.

Return to “Legal Employment”