Do I keep going on CBs after getting an offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
johndhi

Bronze

Do I keep going on CBs after getting an offer?

Post by johndhi » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Today I had my first callback, at the firm I liked most based on pre-OCI research and my screening interview. They called me just now to give me an offer, which is super exciting, but I'm a little confused about what to do now.

I have like four other CBs scheduled this week and next and am wondering whether I should cancel or go anyways to see what they are like. On the face, I really like the people I met today and think it would be a great firm, but I am still curious about some of the other firms; it would be nice to hear them out and see how they are different.

Is it kosher to go on CBs after getting an offer you're pretty happy with? Do I tell the interviewers or HR people that I've already received an offer; do I name names?

Thanks - glad to be asking a cheery question!

quakeroats

Silver

Re: Do I keep going on CBs after getting an offer?

Post by quakeroats » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:13 pm

johndhi wrote:Today I had my first callback, at the firm I liked most based on pre-OCI research and my screening interview. They called me just now to give me an offer, which is super exciting, but I'm a little confused about what to do now.

I have like four other CBs scheduled this week and next and am wondering whether I should cancel or go anyways to see what they are like. On the face, I really like the people I met today and think it would be a great firm, but I am still curious about some of the other firms; it would be nice to hear them out and see how they are different.

Is it kosher to go on CBs after getting an offer you're pretty happy with? Do I tell the interviewers or HR people that I've already received an offer; do I name names?

Do what you feel. You have 28 days; go nuts.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:19 pm

johndhi wrote:Today I had my first callback, at the firm I liked most based on pre-OCI research and my screening interview. They called me just now to give me an offer, which is super exciting, but I'm a little confused about what to do now.

You should go on any callback where you would consider that firm over the firm you have an offer from. Even if you're leaning towards your current offer, if there's some scenario where you see yourself accepting an offer from another firm, go on a CB with that firm.

Conversely, you should cancel all the callbacks where you're pretty sure you won't accept their offer. I know you can never be 100% sure, but if you're pretty certain, might as well cancel.

Don't tell interviewers or HR people you've received an offer unless (1) they ask (which they might), or (2) your offer deadline affects the timing of your process with other firms.

azntwice

Bronze

Post by azntwice » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:20 pm

i think the general rule is, cancel cbs from firms that you aren't really that interested in, but go on cbs from firms that you still would consider accepting an offer from. give at least 24 hours of notice before canceling a cb though.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:22 pm

I think you should definitely go on the other callbacks if you feel you're even the slightest interested in the firm. This is a big decision that warrants serious consideration about where you want to start your career. Other firms want to tell you/show you what they are like, and you just might happen to like a firm that you haven't seen yet more than the one you have an offer from. You don't want any lingering doubts in your head later on in your career about whether you chose the right place or not. Visiting the other firms will make sure you limit those thoughts.

In regards to mentioning an offer, I think there are a few things. First, if you already have the callbacks scheduled soon, I don't think you mention it to the HR/recruiting team. However, if your callbacks are scheduled for a few weeks from now or haven't been scheduled at all, you should probably tell them that you have an offer that you are considering but want to be able to meet with their firm before your offer expires.

If your offer and future callbacks are in the same city and people are skeptical on you living there, that's a great opportunity to bring it up. "I want to live here because of weather, family, etc. Also, I have a few other opportunities in this market that I'm weighing right now, so I know that I want to be here."

I don't necessarily think you name names, but I think you just trust your judgment during the interviews. You're obviously a bright person who interviews well, so trusting your gut is probably the way to go. But remember that firms are probably pretty confident in their own evaluation process; name-dropping another firm isn't going to automatically make you seem more amazing in their eyes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks for the helpful answers, guys. Best of luck to all of you in your interviews. I'm going to withdraw from consideration from some firms from whom I haven't yet received CBs and am not particularly interested in, but I'm going to try to stick it out with the CBs I have.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”