Callback politics

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback politics

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Can a 2nd year associate get you dinged based on callback even if seniors and partners like you? or are they really there to just check the box and you should focus on the partners/seniors??

Obviously you want to try and impress anyone, just wondering how this plays out behind the scenes.

UCLAtransfer

Re: Callback politics

Postby UCLAtransfer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Alright, who did you piss off and how did you do it?

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:01 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:Alright, who did you piss off and how did you do it?

+1. There must be a story here...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:03 pm

will post later. like in a week . even anonymous i'm uncomfortable providing details.

i wouldn't say pissed off, that's probably too extreme

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can a 2nd year associate get you dinged based on callback even if seniors and partners like you? or are they really there to just check the box and you should focus on the partners/seniors??

Obviously you want to try and impress anyone, just wondering how this plays out behind the scenes.

Really depends on the firm. At some places partner opinions will override.

At one firm, I know the way the process work is you are interviewed by three partners/seniors then taken out to lunch by 1 or 2 juniors. They fill out eval forms, in which they provide qualitative comments, then make an offer, reject, or ambivalent recommendation. If anyone gives you a reject, you won't get an offer, and you need at least two offer recommendations to get an offer (but two offer recommendations are not sufficient). FWIW, I've heard that people are told not recommend reject unless they actively didn't like you (i.e., if you're just unimpressive, that should be an ambivalent).

So yes, there are some situations where a junior can veto you, but I'm sure there are other firms where that's not the case.

Return to “Legal Employment”