Damage control after crappy callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Damage control after crappy callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:40 am

Is it possible to do damage control after a lukewarm callback, and if so, how? I had a really great screener with a partner on a hiring committee and didn't follow it up with my best performance by any means - I was feeling sick and even thought of calling to reschedule first thing in the morning but didn't want to risk looking flaky (cb was on a Monday morning at 10). Ended up looking very blah and being far less engaging than I usually am, and didn't really connect with any of 4 interviewers on the CB.

This is my #1 firm and I'd give anything for a redo. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Damage control after crappy callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:43 am

Move on. This has happened to other people I've known. You just have to accept your losses.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:54 am

Fairly similar experience. It sucks...but there's not much that can be done!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:01 am

What about emailing the interviewer I had for the screener? Didn't see him at the callback.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:04 am

[quote="Anonymous Use
Last edited by daesonesb on Sun May 06, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:09 am

If you email and apologize for not interviewing well you will look like a retard.

A lot of firms offer 70% of their callbackees jobs. Lukewarm might be good enough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible to do damage control after a lukewarm callback, and if so, how? I had a really great screener with a partner on a hiring committee and didn't follow it up with my best performance by any means - I was feeling sick and even thought of calling to reschedule first thing in the morning but didn't want to risk looking flaky (cb was on a Monday morning at 10). Ended up looking very blah and being far less engaging than I usually am, and didn't really connect with any of 4 interviewers on the CB.

This is my #1 firm and I'd give anything for a redo. Thoughts?

In my experience no way to do damage control. I know when I used to interview people, not for firm jobs, the interviewee had no way to go back on a bad interview-even if they just said one stupid thing. Why? Because yeah you may have been sick or something may have been going on, but you knew the interview was important and couldn't pull it off. Now when you are with a client in a few weeks/years/whatever time frame are you going to be able to pull it off with them? or have a crappy experience?

However, also remember that you are usually the toughest judge on yourself. The interview may not have gone as bad as you believe it did. Good luck on getting an offer!

An e-mail apologizing for the interview being bad when no one else realized it was bad would be hilarious though.

Return to “Legal Employment”