How necessary is it to attend callback receptions?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How necessary is it to attend callback receptions?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:29 am

So I fortunately have several callback receptions to attend throughout this week, but I had been planning on going home and relaxing for a few days before the semester began.

Is it a bad idea to not attend these? Is it a serious strike against you come actual CB time? Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: How necessary is it to attend callback receptions?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:40 am

Not at all, people have not gone to these things and still received offers. However, it might be a good idea to email the recruiter and tell them you'll be out of town on that date, although you appreciate the invitation.

Sup Kid

Re: How necessary is it to attend callback receptions?

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:12 am

It probably won't hurt you, but why would you take the chance just to relax for a few days? They receptions are for firms to see you in a less formal setting, and you can make connections there (or just leave a good enough impression) to help you get an offer. If you need to go home for a more pressing reason, don't worry about it, but otherwise, I think you should basically suck it up, realize that the beginning of 2L year is the most important and time-consuming aspect of law school, and do everything you can to get yourself an offer.

Return to “Legal Employment”