Is this sentence gramatically correct?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is this sentence gramatically correct?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:23 am

"I am particularly interested in working at XYZ LLP because of the firm's broad range of business-related expertise, including tax law, a practice area that I am very drawn to."

Specifically, should I use a comma or semi-colon after competition law?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Is this sentence gramatically correct?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:26 am

Comma is correct.

However, you need an extra word: "... because of the firm's broad range of business-related expertise, including in competition law, a practice area that I am very drawn to."

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:41 am

I think it's correct, but it's a bit awkward. Maybe two sentences?

"I am particularly interested in working at XYZ LLP because of the firm's broad range of business-related expertise. For example, I am very drawn to competition law [because . . . ]."

Also keeps you from ending the sentence with a preposition.

Riles246

Postby Riles246 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"I am particularly interested in working at XYZ LLP because of the firm's broad range of business-related expertise, including tax law, a practice area that I am very drawn to."

Specifically, should I use a comma or semi-colon after competition law?

Where does the original sentence say "competition law"? I see "tax law". Anyway, if you are truly interested in tax law and the firm is big in tax law, I think you should make a bigger deal out of it- "I am particularly interested in working at XYZ LLP because of the firm's expertise in the area of tax law, as well as its broad range of business-related expertise in its other practice areas."

What's competition law?

mbaino

Postby mbaino » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:46 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:I think it's correct, but it's a bit awkward. Maybe two sentences?

"I am particularly interested in working at XYZ LLP because of the firm's broad range of business-related expertise. For example, I am very drawn to competition law [because . . . ]."

Also keeps you from ending the sentence with a preposition.

+1. Make shorter, punchier sentences. Shorter sentences sound much better than rambling sentences with multiple clauses.

Return to “Legal Employment”