Philly Callback/Offer Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I also have a Ballard offer & am waiting to hear from DM. Out of curiosity, mind sharing what you liked that prompted you not even to do the CBs at Fox, Blank, and Drinker?


Did you tell Duane/any other firms about your Ballard offer? Do you plan to?


also, just out of curiosity when was your CB with drinker scheduled? (i have a bunch of philly CBs scheduled for next week and was thinking of contacting drinker to see if they could fit me in).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:59 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I also have a Ballard offer & am waiting to hear from DM. Out of curiosity, mind sharing what you liked that prompted you not even to do the CBs at Fox, Blank, and Drinker?


Did you tell Duane/any other firms about your Ballard offer? Do you plan to?


also, just out of curiosity when was your CB with drinker scheduled? (i have a bunch of philly CBs scheduled for next week and was thinking of contacting drinker to see if they could fit me in).


My Drinker CB was scheduled for 9/21.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:27 pm

So I did a Ballard CB on Thursday, August 25th, and haven't heard anything back yet. Does that mean I am rejected?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I did a Ballard CB on Thursday, August 25th, and haven't heard anything back yet. Does that mean I am rejected?


I know someone that did a callback around that time and got a ding by snail mail last wednesday. I would say no news means you're still in the running.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I did a Ballard CB on Thursday, August 25th, and haven't heard anything back yet. Does that mean I am rejected?


I know someone that did a callback around that time and got a ding by snail mail last wednesday. I would say no news means you're still in the running.


Guess im not in the running. Rejection letter was waiting for me when I got home today.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:45 pm

has anyone heard from Dechert?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone heard from Dechert?

Friend of mine got a CB with them today. T2 Philly school.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby keg411 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just joining this thread now. Philly T1, slightly above median, secondary journal, ties to the region. Have had pretty successful interview season.

CBs from:
Morris Nichols (DE)
Richards Layton (DE)
A&G
Saul
Fox
Blank
Drinker
Ballard
Cozen
Duane
Dechert
Morgan

Received offer from Ballard approx. 1 week after callback and am still waiting to hear from DM. I am canceling callbacks w/ all listed above Ballard on the list. Hope this opens spots for others.

There aren't any Philly T1s? There's Penn, then T2s. Confused.


Unless the poster above goes to Penn, I find this hard to believe. I know someone top 1/3 at Temple/Nova that didn't even get screeners with these firms let alone CB's (and that's with WE, secondary journal).

ETA: Additionally, I'm a top former top 5% transfer from a Philly school and can't get interviews with these places (which I'd kill for right now). I highly doubt someone simply "above median + secondary journal" got all of these CB's plus an offer from Ballard (who rejected me from mass mailing).
Last edited by keg411 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:06 pm

I've gotten actual decisions from 4 CB interviews (though I've gone on a total of 7 so far, but haven't heard back yet from a few). Of those 4 decisions, two are from Philly, and 2 decisions are from outside of Philly. Both firms outside of Philly made me offers (a NY and a NJ firm), while both Philly firms rejected me. Perhaps a trend? We will find out soon since I visit a few more Philly offices for CB's in the next week or 2.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7238
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby beach_terror » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:21 pm

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just joining this thread now. Philly T1, slightly above median, secondary journal, ties to the region. Have had pretty successful interview season.

CBs from:
Morris Nichols (DE)
Richards Layton (DE)
A&G
Saul
Fox
Blank
Drinker
Ballard
Cozen
Duane
Dechert
Morgan

Received offer from Ballard approx. 1 week after callback and am still waiting to hear from DM. I am canceling callbacks w/ all listed above Ballard on the list. Hope this opens spots for others.

There aren't any Philly T1s? There's Penn, then T2s. Confused.


Unless the poster above goes to Penn, I find this hard to believe. I know someone top 1/3 at Temple/Nova that didn't even get screeners with these firms let alone CB's (and that's with WE, secondary journal).

ETA: Additionally, I'm a top former top 5% transfer from a Philly school and can't get interviews with these places (which I'd kill for right now). I highly doubt someone simply "above median + secondary journal" got all of these CB's plus an offer from Ballard (who rejected me from mass mailing).

That's really weird. I know Philly firms have a bit of a bias against your former school for whatever reason, but that's pretty crazy.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby keg411 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Beach, there's no bias against my former school. People who are top 10% and still there have plenty of CB's in Philly (from what I've heard through the grapevine). They may have a bias against me for leaving the market, though... (I did have one Philly CB, but they rejected me a few weeks ago).

Still, a top 1/3 person from Temple/Nova (and NOT my former school) couldn't even get SCREENERS and most of said persons friends with only slightly better stats were only getting 1-2 SCREENERS, so I really have my doubts about the poster above (again, unless said poster goes to Penn).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:28 pm

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just joining this thread now. Philly T1, slightly above median, secondary journal, ties to the region. Have had pretty successful interview season.

CBs from:
Morris Nichols (DE)
Richards Layton (DE)
A&G
Saul
Fox
Blank
Drinker
Ballard
Cozen
Duane
Dechert
Morgan

Received offer from Ballard approx. 1 week after callback and am still waiting to hear from DM. I am canceling callbacks w/ all listed above Ballard on the list. Hope this opens spots for others.

There aren't any Philly T1s? There's Penn, then T2s. Confused.


Unless the poster above goes to Penn, I find this hard to believe. I know someone top 1/3 at Temple/Nova that didn't even get screeners with these firms let alone CB's (and that's with WE, secondary journal).

ETA: Additionally, I'm a top former top 5% transfer from a Philly school and can't get interviews with these places (which I'd kill for right now). I highly doubt someone simply "above median + secondary journal" got all of these CB's plus an offer from Ballard (who rejected me from mass mailing).


Philly T1 = Penn

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby keg411 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:33 pm

Why not just say "Penn" or Philly T10/T14? Saying Philly T1 is stupid as T1 usually designates schools ranked somewhere from 20-50.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:36 pm

keg411 wrote:Why not just say "Penn" or Philly T10/T14? Saying Philly T1 is stupid as T1 usually designates schools ranked somewhere from 20-50.


I'm the OP. I go to Penn. Sorry for the confusion, I'm not a regular poster and thought Philly T1 was sufficiently clear.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby keg411 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
keg411 wrote:Why not just say "Penn" or Philly T10/T14? Saying Philly T1 is stupid as T1 usually designates schools ranked somewhere from 20-50.


I'm the OP. I go to Penn. Sorry for the confusion, I'm not a regular poster and thought Philly T1 was sufficiently clear.


Well, obviously then the CB list makes sense :). Usually when people talk about top schools, they use T14 or T10, not T1. I originally thought it was someone who thought the whole top 100 is T1 and that it was BS, but since you go to Penn it makes total sense. Congrats on all the CB's and the offer!

Still, guess I should have stayed when I didn't get into Penn as a transfer since people with my stats/worse at my old school are doing well overall, and I'm pretty sure the Penn transfers are doing well, and I'm... not :(.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:17 pm

keg411 wrote: Well, obviously then the CB list makes sense :). Usually when people talk about top schools, they use T14 or T10, not T1. I originally thought it was someone who thought the whole top 100 is T1 and that it was BS, but since you go to Penn it makes total sense. Congrats on all the CB's and the offer!

Still, guess I should have stayed when I didn't get into Penn as a transfer since people with my stats/worse at my old school are doing well overall, and I'm pretty sure the Penn transfers are doing well, and I'm... not :(.


Sorry to hear you're having trouble this cycle (I'm pretty surprised by that tbh, seeing as you go to a great school and must've had good grades to be in a position to transfer). Best of luck moving forward!

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7238
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby beach_terror » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:22 pm

keg411 wrote:Still, guess I should have stayed when I didn't get into Penn as a transfer since people with my stats/worse at my old school are doing well overall, and I'm pretty sure the Penn transfers are doing well, and I'm... not :(.

How are you articulating your ties/desire to stay in Philly? You and I both know how incestuous the market is - my out of state friends are having a lot of trouble breaking in this go around.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby keg411 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:39 pm

beach_terror wrote:
keg411 wrote:Still, guess I should have stayed when I didn't get into Penn as a transfer since people with my stats/worse at my old school are doing well overall, and I'm pretty sure the Penn transfers are doing well, and I'm... not :(.

How are you articulating your ties/desire to stay in Philly? You and I both know how incestuous the market is - my out of state friends are having a lot of trouble breaking in this go around.


I know, and I think the Philly firms probably see my transfer as a huge red flag. Still pissed at that B+ in ConLaw that likely kept me out of Penn :( (not that there's anything wrong with Mich, and I love the people so far... I just would have had better access to firms that I might have been a better "fit" for).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:05 pm

keg411 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
keg411 wrote:Still, guess I should have stayed when I didn't get into Penn as a transfer since people with my stats/worse at my old school are doing well overall, and I'm pretty sure the Penn transfers are doing well, and I'm... not :(.

How are you articulating your ties/desire to stay in Philly? You and I both know how incestuous the market is - my out of state friends are having a lot of trouble breaking in this go around.


I know, and I think the Philly firms probably see my transfer as a huge red flag. Still pissed at that B+ in ConLaw that likely kept me out of Penn :( (not that there's anything wrong with Mich, and I love the people so far... I just would have had better access to firms that I might have been a better "fit" for).


ties to philly seem really important for firms there (i think they're afraid of people jumping up/down 95 to NYC or DC firms). i'm also a transfer to michigan this year and i think the only reason i have CBs with philly firms is because all of my WE is there and i'm from there. i've had no luck with other markets i interviewed for.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:16 pm

I think the ties are super important for places like Philly. I am from the general area (not really from Philly though) and transferred from further away into NYU. I figured that coming home to the mid-Atlantic would be enough, especially given a story about how NYC itself is a bit too much hustle and bustle for me, and I really like Philadelphia's warmer attitude (which is certainly true). But I don't know if they were buying it, and they probably assumed I transferred to NYU to go to NY, which is a mistaken assumption since I'm very seriously considering both Philly and NJ, in addition to NY.

And the numbers hold up to support this. Both Philly CB's resulted in dings, while both NJ/NY CB's are offers. I'm sure I will start getting a few dings from CB's on the NY side, but its interesting that the numbers panned out this way so far.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7238
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby beach_terror » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:17 pm

Yeah, ties to the city are incredibly important. Thank god I'm west Philadelphia, born and raised!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:22 pm

Though I'd say I still have a pretty good chance for something in Philly. Still have Morgan Lewis, Blank Rome, and Cozen CB's coming up, and I just had what I think was a solid screener with Pepper Hamilton. So perhaps one Philly firm will come through. It would be a shame if none do, since I am really becoming endeared to the city the more I visit, and the more I compare it to crazy NYC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:31 am

CB from Skadden Wilmington via email.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Philly CB Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:CB from Skadden Wilmington via email.


When was your screener? Stats?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.