Philly Callback/Offer Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Omerta

Re: Philly Callback/Offer Thread

Postby Omerta » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:24 pm

Queenjane87 wrote:Any word from Potter Anderson?

They're planning to conduct another 15-16 callbacks -- at least they were when I talked to their recruiting coordinator last week. I'm on the callback waitlist.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:30 pm

Omerta wrote:

They're planning to conduct another 15-16 callbacks -- at least they were when I talked to their recruiting coordinator last week. I'm on the callback waitlist.

Yikes for how many spots? Guess that means even if I do get a CB it is unlikely to get an offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Omerta wrote:

Yikes for how many spots? Guess that means even if I do get a CB it is unlikely to get an offer

don't be so sure. i just turned down a CB from them, but my understanding is that the DE firms have a lower yield rate, so they give more offers. i'd say you have AT LEAST a 50/50 shot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:44 pm

Anyone know Pepper Hamilton's offer rate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know Pepper Hamilton's offer rate?

+1. would like to know this, as well. interviewed with them this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Omerta wrote:

don't be so sure. i just turned down a CB from them, but my understanding is that the DE firms have a lower yield rate, so they give more offers. i'd say you have AT LEAST a 50/50 shot.

Good to know, your post def lifted up my spirits haha any idea how respected they are? I honestly do not know too much about them

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Very respected. Potter, RLF, MNAT, and YCST are the "big 4" DE firms. You can throw Skadden in there too, but there a bit of a different beast. I had callbacks with RLF, MNAT, and Skadden over the past few days and really liked all three firms, definitely interested to hear back from them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:34 pm

Omerta wrote:Very respected. Potter, RLF, MNAT, and YCST are the "big 4" DE firms. You can throw Skadden in there too, but there a bit of a different beast. I had callbacks with RLF, MNAT, and Skadden over the past few days and really liked all three firms, definitely interested to hear back from them.

Nice thanks for the info, i’ll let everyone know what happens (if anything)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:22 pm

accepted an offer from YCST (DE). Withdrew from DLA Piper, RLF, Connolly Bove, EG, and Skadden. Good luck everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:54 am

Penn 1L here. Also a local with extremely strong ties to the area (4th generation Philadelphian w/a lot of legal contacts in and around the area). What kind of grades do I need to have a reasonable shot at Philly biglaw/large midlaw?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Penn 1L here. Also a local with extremely strong ties to the area (4th generation Philadelphian w/a lot of legal contacts in and around the area). What kind of grades do I need to have a reasonable shot at Philly biglaw/large midlaw?

if you're at penn, median should be enough to make you a shoo-in. penn is one of the few schools in the bottom half of the T10 that still places the majority of its grads in big law positions. i know of kids near the bottom of the class with big firm jobs.

that said, don't bank on that, as the economy could take a turn making it much harder. i would begin using your network of legal contacts now (i.e., reach out to them, ask for a time to meet and chat about their experience in the legal profession, how they got to where they are, etc.). after you've made that initial contact, just keep in touch with them every few months. then when it comes time to apply next summer, you have someone that can make sure your resume gets noticed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Are you sitting on any other offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Anyone know what Potter's offer rate was for this past summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes but I would take pepper over my current offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Penn 1L here. Also a local with extremely strong ties to the area (4th generation Philadelphian w/a lot of legal contacts in and around the area). What kind of grades do I need to have a reasonable shot at Philly biglaw/large midlaw?

You'll be fine at Median-ish. Only like 25% of Penn people go after Philly biglaw, and only like 15% will be very serious about it. Of that crew, the ones who will be shut out will be either awkward or have tenuous ties.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't know their rate, but I know someone who just accepted a Pepper offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:02 pm

Anyone under the impression that some firms have ditched the SA program (either entirely or substantially) in favor of 3L hiring? I've received a few mass mailing rejection letters basically saying "we liked your credentials but we only have 1 or 2 spots (or we don't have a program) but we want you to apply next year if you don't get anything else."

Maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic about striking out, but I've received 4 or 5 of these types of letters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone under the impression that some firms have ditched the SA program (either entirely or substantially) in favor of 3L hiring? I've received a few mass mailing rejection letters basically saying "we liked your credentials but we only have 1 or 2 spots (or we don't have a program) but we want you to apply next year if you don't get anything else."

Maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic about striking out, but I've received 4 or 5 of these types of letters.

i have received only one letter like that, except it was for a huge firm that typically does 3L OCI in addition to 2L OCI. how big were these firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone under the impression that some firms have ditched the SA program (either entirely or substantially) in favor of 3L hiring? I've received a few mass mailing rejection letters basically saying "we liked your credentials but we only have 1 or 2 spots (or we don't have a program) but we want you to apply next year if you don't get anything else."

i have received only one letter like that, except it was for a huge firm that typically does 3L OCI in addition to 2L OCI. how big were these firms?

They all paid >100k, so that's "big" enough for me - I'd guess 70-120 for the most part.

IAmNietzche

Postby IAmNietzche » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:59 am

Got an offer at the end of last week from a Philly firm V60-100.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:24 am

If anyone hears back from potter if they could post on here that would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:43 pm

Bump. Anyone have any ideas from Potter? Hiring committee met today. CB calls have gotten made on Wednesday late afternoon. Any idea when offer calls go out and who make them? Anyone sitting on a Potter Anderson offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:48 pm

Anyone care to share potter stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:57 pm

Question for anybody that has done a Potter callback:

What time did it start? Sounds absurd, but I have one tomorrow morning and I just looked at the schedule that was e-mailed to me and it doesn't include a starting time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:23 pm

anyone with a pepper offer, when did you get the call? i know their HC meets on fridays, but do the calls go out then, too, or do they trickle into next week?

Return to “Legal Employment”