Philly Callback/Offer Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Philly Callback/Offer Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are the most "prestigious" philly firms?
depends what you mean by "prestigious." morgan lewis and dechert pay the most and tend to get the most interesting clients/cases, but on the other hand they're not a "philly firm" in the purest sense. despite the fact that both were founded in the city and still have strong roots here, they have branched out significantly and are more national.

pepper hamilton and duane morris are very well-regarded, as are cozen o'connor and blank rome. these are more "philly firms" than the two above and are not as "national" as those two.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are the most "prestigious" philly firms?
Well, the most prestigious is probably Levine Sullivan Koch & Schultz... but if we're excluding boutiques and talking about big law offices with summer associates, probably Dechert, Morgan, Akin Gump, Skadden (DE), MNAT (DE)...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Well, the most prestigious is probably Levine Sullivan Koch & Schultz... but if we're excluding boutiques and talking about big law offices with summer associates, probably Dechert, Morgan, Akin Gump, Skadden (DE), MNAT (DE)...
i don't know if i'd put akin gump on that list..their philly office is really small and isn't it mostly IP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Any Morgan Lewis offer yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:25 pm

Cancelled my CBs with Ballard Spahr, Drinker Biddle - hope that opens up some spots for you all!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:20 pm

post-CB ding from Duane Morris. I thought the CB went really well, strong ties to the area, etc. Oh well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Had CB with Morgan Lewis and Blank Rome. Blank Rome went pretty good, but I got a really good vibe from Morgan Lewis and was pretty impressed with the experience today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any Morgan Lewis offer yet?
I know their hiring committee meets on Thursdays, so I would imagine a batch should be going out very soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I know their hiring committee meets on Thursdays, so I would imagine a batch should be going out very soon.
You mean, as in tonight?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:16 pm

I just got offered a DM callback through mass mail. No ties to Philly- I don't much about the firm, is this going to be a huge issue? And would 9/26 be too late to schedule the callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You mean, as in tonight?
possibly, if it's good news. who knows. all i know is i was told that the committee meets this Thursday and to expect to hear back within a week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got offered a DM callback through mass mail. No ties to Philly- I don't much about the firm, is this going to be a huge issue? And would 9/26 be too late to schedule the callback?
it seems DM must be very picky this year. they don't have a very large summer class but have been doing CBs since early August. if you got an interview you have a shot. i will say, though, that the no philly ties could be an issue, so have VERY good reasons for why you want to work not only at the firm, but also in the city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Just being honest w/o ties to philly I don’t see you as having a chance with them this year... I did a CB in early August and know of 3 others who did a CB there in early/mid August (one offer, one ding - mine, two still waiting to hear) but good l luck nonetheless!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just being honest w/o ties to philly I don’t see you as having a chance with them this year... I did a CB in early August and know of 3 others who did a CB there in early/mid August (one offer, one ding - mine, two still waiting to hear) but good l luck nonetheless!
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for the insight. I was very surprised to get the CB at this point in the game when they have such a small class and my resume clearly shows a lack of significant ties. I will definitely give it a shot since it seems like a great firm, but not get my hopes up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:13 pm

In last 48 hours: Dinged after CB by Drinker, Duane Morris. Offers at Schnader, Cozen. Already had offer at Ballard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In last 48 hours: Dinged after CB by Drinker, Duane Morris. Offers at Schnader, Cozen. Already had offer at Ballard.
dang. has Duane Morris given ANY offers? it seems like they're giving a ton of CBs and dinging 99% of them. for those of you who have already done CBs, any insight into what they're looking for?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In last 48 hours: Dinged after CB by Drinker, Duane Morris. Offers at Schnader, Cozen. Already had offer at Ballard.
School / Grade Range?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
School / Grade Range?
Penn. Not top of the class. Strong Philly ties. For what it's worth, I also have a V10 NYC offer. So yeah, I don't know what it takes to get into Duane.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:25 pm

I have friend with a DM offer. Got it a long time ago after an early direct application.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:26 pm

still no offer/ding from Morgan Lewis?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:46 pm

when was your Cozen CB?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
when was your Cozen CB?
It was the early part of this week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:31 pm

Does anyone know if any Philly firms follow a lockstep model after the first year, excluding Dechert and MLB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:32 pm

I mentioned this trend earlier in the thread, and it has still held up to this point. Five of my callbacks have given me decisions, 3 offers, and 2 rejections. The 3 offers are all in the NY/NJ area. The 2 rejections are both Philadelphia. Odd trend, but hopefully Morgan Lewis will break it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I mentioned this trend earlier in the thread, and it has still held up to this point. Five of my callbacks have given me decisions, 3 offers, and 2 rejections. The 3 offers are all in the NY/NJ area. The 2 rejections are both Philadelphia. Odd trend, but hopefully Morgan Lewis will break it.
are you from NY/northern NJ? if so, it wouldn't be especially surprising that the philly firms rejected you. those are the types of candidates they seem most leery of, because they don't think you'll be serious about staying in philly long-term.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”