A Williams and Connolly Screener Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

A Williams and Connolly Screener

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:58 am

I didn't win a W&C interview in my school's OCI lottery, but then they invited me to a screener with them because of my great grades. I'm kind of flattered, esp. being a 3L, but one hears so many W&C interview horror stories. One career services woman instructed me that I need to come off like a "dynamo," like some former W&C partner who's now on a cooking reality show (???), while a Harvard student I know told me that she went 23/24 in callbacks, the one exception being W&C, who she said actually grilled her about the law. So if anyone has any insights into what I should expect, that might be helpful.

Anonymous User

Re: A Williams and Connolly Screener

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:03 am

My W&C interview and callback (last year) were indistinguishable in terms of substance from any of the other firms I interviewed with. No idea where those stories come from. Just regular conversations, some more intense people and some more relaxed people, but honestly nothing out of the ordinary. The firm and the people there fit the personality you'd expect from a firm like that, but it really wasn't anything to write home about. If we talked about the law (I honestly don't recall) it certainly wasn't "grilling."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:09 am

I suppose it varies. I also worked with a clerk on one of the circuits with the greatest resume ever whom they didn't hire; he said that one of the partners took a look at his resume, decided that all his pre-law-school experience with various prestigious NGOs (e.g. the Hague) meant that he wanted to be in politics, and then spent the rest of the half hour asking him whether he was sure that he didn't really want to be a politician. I guess I was kind of hoping that there would be some grilling, as if it's just the usual chatter about nothing, I'm not an extraordinarily gifted or personable small talker - but I do hold up well in a grilling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:My W&C interview and callback (last year) were indistinguishable in terms of substance from any of the other firms I interviewed with. No idea where those stories come from. Just regular conversations, some more intense people and some more relaxed people, but honestly nothing out of the ordinary. The firm and the people there fit the personality you'd expect from a firm like that, but it really wasn't anything to write home about. If we talked about the law (I honestly don't recall) it certainly wasn't "grilling."
I had the same experience at my initial interview this year (callback coming this week). OCS here tells us that W&C has a "rigorous and unique" interview process, so maybe this is something I'll experience in a few days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:34 am

Do you mind letting me know when you applied and how long they took to get back to you?

I sent my materials through the online application system a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything, so I'm wondering if I should assume that's a no.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:36 am

ive heard a range of W&C stories, from an intense interviewer that resulted in some people walking out 5min in to pretty run of the mill stuff (albeit still a bit pointed in the question-asking/personalities). guess it varies.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:11 am

Could people elaborate on these horror stories? I have a CB coming up and want to be prepared since it is my top choice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:39 pm

So I (the OP) had a very pleasant screener.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:04 pm

At UVA last year, W&C brought two interviewers, had 30 minute screeners, and had interviewees switch interviewers halfway through (so it was like two 15 minute interviews). The interviews themselves were normal though; I got asked about an experience when I had previously been an advocate, but other than that, nothing unusual.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:41 pm

Just talked to W&C and they said they aren't hiring 3Ls for summer positions but will be interviewing for permanent employment. Can someone confirm this information, particularly those who've already done screeners? Were you interviewing for a 3L summer (i.e., the firm just lied to me), or for a job after graduation or clerkship?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just talked to W&C and they said they aren't hiring 3Ls for summer positions but will be interviewing for permanent employment. Can someone confirm this information, particularly those who've already done screeners? Were you interviewing for a 3L summer (i.e., the firm just lied to me), or for a job after graduation or clerkship?
That's what I was told, the same thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:00 pm

My W&C screener was actually one of the most relaxed and enjoyable interviews of my OCI season. Sort of like it would be hard to get nervous batting against Roy Halladay. He's sitting me down in three pitches, nothing I can really do about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My W&C screener was actually one of the most relaxed and enjoyable interviews of my OCI season. Sort of like it would be hard to get nervous batting against Roy Halladay. He's sitting me down in three pitches, nothing I can really do about it.
Yes, I (the OP) actually ended up having a very enjoyable and rather promising screener as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”