What To Do With Alternates Post-OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What To Do With Alternates Post-OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:55 pm

I was selected by five firms as an alternate for OCI, but slots never opened up and these firms didn't take walk-ins or resume drops during interview days. I'm now past OCI and wondering whether I should forget about these firms (treat the alternate-with-no-interview as the same as a rejection) or send e-mails to recruiters to see if I can get screeners at some other point (treat alternate as a sign that the firm is willing to talk to me). I know it's getting late already and I'm not sure whether I should expend more energy chasing these firms. Thanks for any and all advice...

Sup Kid

Re: What To Do With Alternates Post-OCI

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was selected by five firms as an alternate for OCI, but slots never opened up and these firms didn't take walk-ins or resume drops during interview days. I'm now past OCI and wondering whether I should forget about these firms (treat the alternate-with-no-interview as the same as a rejection) or send e-mails to recruiters to see if I can get screeners at some other point (treat alternate as a sign that the firm is willing to talk to me). I know it's getting late already and I'm not sure whether I should expend more energy chasing these firms. Thanks for any and all advice...

In the 10 minutes that you'll spend writing on TLS and waiting for advice, you can send 5 generic emails to the firms saying "I was an alternate, can I come to your office for a screening interview, please find attached my resume, thank you." Just do it -- it can't hurt you.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:01 am

Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was selected by five firms as an alternate for OCI, but slots never opened up and these firms didn't take walk-ins or resume drops during interview days. I'm now past OCI and wondering whether I should forget about these firms (treat the alternate-with-no-interview as the same as a rejection) or send e-mails to recruiters to see if I can get screeners at some other point (treat alternate as a sign that the firm is willing to talk to me). I know it's getting late already and I'm not sure whether I should expend more energy chasing these firms. Thanks for any and all advice...

In the 10 minutes that you'll spend writing on TLS and waiting for advice, you can send 5 generic emails to the firms saying "I was an alternate, can I come to your office for a screening interview, please find attached my resume, thank you." Just do it -- it can't hurt you.

Good advice, was on the fence, but doing this now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:08 am

OP here, I sent my five e-mails this morning, for the benefit of future classes I'll update this post at some point to reflect whether there was any benefit to contacting these firms . . . though I agree there's absolutely no reason not to take the time and send the messages (it can't hurt!).

Return to “Legal Employment”