Attire for EIW Receptions?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cosmopolitan

Attire for EIW Receptions?

Postby cosmopolitan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:49 pm

For those who have already been to cocktail receptions hosted in the evenings of EIW, what's the appropriate attire?

bconly

Re: Attire for EIW Receptions?

Postby bconly » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:09 am

No experience with these, but judging this is in the employment forum and has to do with securing a job, wouldn't suit and tie be proper?

It seems like the only time suit/tie is questionable is when QE enters the picture.

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:28 am

bconly wrote:No experience with these, but judging this is in the employment forum and has to do with securing a job, wouldn't suit and tie be proper?

It seems like the only time suit/tie is questionable is when QE enters the picture.

i haven't been to one yet, either, but most of the one's i've been invited to have said business casual. that said, if the invitation doesn't specify, it certainly wouldn't hurt you to err on the side of caution and where a suit (though i don't think you'd be judged for wearing business casual).

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:32 am

Wear a suit unless the invitation specifies otherwise.

Even if the invitation specifies otherwise, you might be more comfortable in a suit. Many people come straight from EIW and will be wearing suits. Even if you are up to the written dress code, you might look/feel out of place if everyone else is suited up.

thrillerjesus

Postby thrillerjesus » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:28 am

I went to a bunch of them. Every invitation I had specified business casual, and that's what everybody there was wearing. Shirt, pants, no tie, most people had no jacket. A suit wouldn't look extremely out of place, but most people were not wearing one. The attorneys were universally wearing business casual.

Return to “Legal Employment”