Smart Phone Fail: I blocked law firms from calling me

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273493
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Smart Phone Fail: I blocked law firms from calling me

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:31 pm

I just realized/remembered that I installed a program many months ago that blocks private calls. It doesn't send them to voicemail. either. Well, it logs the blocked calls and when I had this realization a few minutes ago, I looked and it blocked three private calls, all within two days after my first OCIs, all during business hours. These are the only calls it has blocked in several weeks, so the probability of it being a firm is high.

Needless to say, I feel pretty screwed right now. On the one hand, they could email me if they really liked me. On the other, I could see them just moving to the next person in line.

Should I attempt to contact the firms, maybe do a hybrid thank you note / note that I had some temporary phone problems?

User avatar
The Valkyrie
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Smart Phone Fail: I blocked law firms from calling me

Postby The Valkyrie » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:33 pm

my experience is that they use email for this kind of thing. that said, change your phone situation asap. in the meantime, you should call them and check.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273493
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Smart Phone Fail: I blocked law firms from calling me

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:42 pm

Call and check. Can't hurt. However, when you say "private" numbers, do you mean numbers that come up as unlisted/private? Or just numbers that you don't have in your phone? Because I have had a number of callbacks and every one has been from a number that shows up.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Smart Phone Fail: I blocked law firms from calling me

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:56 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:my experience is that they use email for this kind of thing. that said, change your phone situation asap. in the meantime, you should call them and check.

I think you are in the distinct minority if you received callbacks through email. Every firm I received a callback from last year (~15 in the V50) made phone calls.

Anonymous User wrote:Call and check. Can't hurt. However, when you say "private" numbers, do you mean numbers that come up as unlisted/private? Or just numbers that you don't have in your phone? Because I have had a number of callbacks and every one has been from a number that shows up.

This has also been my experience -- the number is normally just a regular phone number, with maybe just a generic ending (like 212-555-9000) that if you call back takes you to the firm's reception. If the number was actually unlisted/blocked on your phone, it's less likely that it's a firm, since firms normally want the people they call to realize who's calling.

User avatar
The Valkyrie
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Smart Phone Fail: I blocked law firms from calling me

Postby The Valkyrie » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:58 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:my experience is that they use email for this kind of thing. that said, change your phone situation asap. in the meantime, you should call them and check.

I think you are in the distinct minority if you received callbacks through email. Every firm I received a callback from last year (~15 in the V50) made phone calls.

Anonymous User wrote:Call and check. Can't hurt. However, when you say "private" numbers, do you mean numbers that come up as unlisted/private? Or just numbers that you don't have in your phone? Because I have had a number of callbacks and every one has been from a number that shows up.

This has also been my experience -- the number is normally just a regular phone number, with maybe just a generic ending (like 212-555-9000) that if you call back takes you to the firm's reception. If the number was actually unlisted/blocked on your phone, it's less likely that it's a firm, since firms normally want the people they call to realize who's calling.



i should have qualified my answer - I have no experience with biglaw firms, just shitlaw.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Smart Phone Fail: I blocked law firms from calling me

Postby blurbz » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:01 am

Half of the CBs I've received have been from blocked numbers, so it does happen.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273493
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Smart Phone Fail: I blocked law firms from calling me

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:54 pm

got a callback from a v10 with "unknown number" listed. was called twice by them and both times it came up as unknown so it seems to be standard for them.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.