Cancelling callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cancelling callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:20 pm

How much notice do you have to give? I have one tomorrow but have decided to accept another offer. I'm guessing it would be extremely rude to cancel first thing in the morning tomorrow? Should I just go for it?

Anonymous User

Re: Cancelling callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Don't go. It may be uncomfortable to call, but it's ruder to waste their time if you have accepted another offer.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:24 pm

I have no experience with this and I am not aware of prevailing thought on the issue. That being said, I think it would be less considerate of you to waste the firm's time and money than to simply waste their money. Perhaps that's oversimplifying things, but those are my thoughts. HTH.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:27 pm

I don't think it's a big deal unless you're currently in a hotel that they've paid for.

Assuming you're not, the people you'd interview with tomorrow all bill out between 3 and 7 hundred dollars an hour--You'll do them a favor if you free up their time for that.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:30 pm

if you can't give them 24 hours notice, i think you need to be there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much notice do you have to give? I have one tomorrow but have decided to accept another offer. I'm guessing it would be extremely rude to cancel first thing in the morning tomorrow? Should I just go for it?

CANCEL.

Rude is wasting thousands of dollars worth of partner and associate time when you know you will not work there.

If there is a significant possibility that you will change your mind, then give it a shot and go.

Law firms are businesses and they are used to people turning them down. They expect it and are comfortable with it. They are all adults and will not be offended/hurt/devastated.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How much notice do you have to give? I have one tomorrow but have decided to accept another offer. I'm guessing it would be extremely rude to cancel first thing in the morning tomorrow? Should I just go for it?

CANCEL.

Rude is wasting thousands of dollars worth of partner and associate time when you know you will not work there.

If there is a significant possibility that you will change your mind, then give it a shot and go.

Law firms are businesses and they are used to people turning them down. They expect it and are comfortable with it. They are all adults and will not be offended/hurt/devastated.

Hit Anon by accident. Apologies.

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:50 pm

I dunno, I've been told that you should at least give 24-48 hours of notice. A lot of the partners you would be meeting with have already slotted out a time for you in their very busy schedules, and law firms talk amongst themselves - you don't really want to be that guy who canceled at the last minute. You don't have to tell them that you accepted another offer for a little while, anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:56 pm

azntwice wrote:I dunno, I've been told that you should at least give 24-48 hours of notice. A lot of the partners you would be meeting with have already slotted out a time for you in their very busy schedules, and law firms talk amongst themselves - you don't really want to be that guy who canceled at the last minute. You don't have to tell them that you accepted another offer for a little while, anyway.

If OP actually accepts the offer, then he absolutely cannot go on the callback. He needs to tell the firms where he has outstanding callbacks immediately.

"Candidates should, upon acceptance of an offer of employment, notify their office of career services and notify all employers who consider them to be active candidates that they have accepted a position."

I do not think, from reading OP's post, that OP has confirmed acceptance to his/her firm of choice, but has decided too.

Lawyers are very much used to people cancelling and I can assure they have other stuff to do. Wasting their time by interviewing with no intention of accepting an offer at a firm is much, much worse. That is completely wasting their time. Cancelling, even the morning of, gives them an opportunity to use their time effectively.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
azntwice wrote:I dunno, I've been told that you should at least give 24-48 hours of notice. A lot of the partners you would be meeting with have already slotted out a time for you in their very busy schedules, and law firms talk amongst themselves - you don't really want to be that guy who canceled at the last minute. You don't have to tell them that you accepted another offer for a little while, anyway.

If OP actually accepts the offer, then he absolutely cannot go on the callback. He needs to tell the firms where he has outstanding callbacks immediately.

"Candidates should, upon acceptance of an offer of employment, notify their office of career services and notify all employers who consider them to be active candidates that they have accepted a position."

I do not think, from reading OP's post, that OP has confirmed acceptance to his/her firm of choice, but has decided too.

Lawyers are very much used to people cancelling and I can assure they have other stuff to do. Wasting their time by interviewing with no intention of accepting an offer at a firm is much, much worse. That is completely wasting their time. Cancelling, even the morning of, gives them an opportunity to use their time effectively.

Accidental anon again. Ive been posting in the employment forums nonstop so hitting anon is becoming reflexive.

Return to “Legal Employment”