Random Callback Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Random Callback Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Have a couple of small questions for upcoming CBs and figured I would start a thread for the small/ mostly meaningless questions.

1. Some of the firms I have CBs with have put a typical meal on the schedule, but 2 of the firms have not mentioned anything. Is it 100% standard practice to have some sort of meal? One of the CBs is at 2 and lasts 2 1/2 hrs, so it sort of falls into a non existent meal time.

2. What is standard practice for hotel rooms? Is it appropriate to stay the night after your CB if you have an afternoon CB or is it expected that you clear out of town once you are finished? I'm traveling to Boston from DC. There is an overnight train back.

3. Is it a good idea to tell firms that you have other interviews in whatever city when scheduling callbacks or do you just work around their schedule and keep what you have going on quiet.

Thanks!

agm82

New

Re: Random Callback Questions

Post by agm82 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:18 pm

1. eat burger and fries wherever you go, that's what I did
2. clear out is what I'd imagine, its not an opportunity for you to explore the city
3. yeah tell them everything you've got - hiring partners will never know, these recruiters aren't "impressed" - they're just trying to work out the logistics.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have a couple of small questions for upcoming CBs and figured I would start a thread for the small/ mostly meaningless questions.

1. Some of the firms I have CBs with have put a typical meal on the schedule, but 2 of the firms have not mentioned anything. Is it 100% standard practice to have some sort of meal? One of the CBs is at 2 and lasts 2 1/2 hrs, so it sort of falls into a non existent meal time.

2. What is standard practice for hotel rooms? Is it appropriate to stay the night after your CB if you have an afternoon CB or is it expected that you clear out of town once you are finished? I'm traveling to Boston from DC. There is an overnight train back.

3. Is it a good idea to tell firms that you have other interviews in whatever city when scheduling callbacks or do you just work around their schedule and keep what you have going on quiet.

Thanks!
1) If they don't mention it, probably no meal.

2) I'm traveling 6 hours via pane for a callback that ends at 4:30, and the travel coordinator automatically booked me a second night at the hotel. With time difference, I would have gotten home at 4 in the morning, and the firm should probably be generous enough to spare you from that.

3) They'd prefer it because they save $ by splitting costs

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:21 pm

When scheduling a CB in Boston, the firm seemed to expect me to go up and back in one day until I told them I had another scheduled the following morning. My trip is shorter, however (coming from NYC), so YMMV. Also, it seems to me that flying rather than Amtrak is the way to go for that trip; is that an option?

frost

Bronze

Post by frost » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:00 pm

There's no meal if you schedule your CBs later in the afternoon. I started doing that last year after a particularly awkward CB lunch so that I could avoid the meal and get out in 2 hours rather than 4.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

azntwice

Bronze

Post by azntwice » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When scheduling a CB in Boston, the firm seemed to expect me to go up and back in one day until I told them I had another scheduled the following morning. My trip is shorter, however (coming from NYC), so YMMV. Also, it seems to me that flying rather than Amtrak is the way to go for that trip; is that an option?
For a NY to Boston trip, I would even say bus... flying and amtrak are both very expensive options for what is generally seen as a pretty inexpensive trip.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:05 pm

azntwice wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When scheduling a CB in Boston, the firm seemed to expect me to go up and back in one day until I told them I had another scheduled the following morning. My trip is shorter, however (coming from NYC), so YMMV. Also, it seems to me that flying rather than Amtrak is the way to go for that trip; is that an option?
For a NY to Boston trip, I would even say bus... flying and amtrak are both very expensive options for what is generally seen as a pretty inexpensive trip.
Right, I was referring to the DC --> BOS trip. For the record, the firm wanted me to fly from NYC initially but I asked for the train instead.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”