Talk to me about hospitality suites, please?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Talk to me about hospitality suites, please?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:22 pm

What is up with the hospitality suites that firms host? Has anyone been successful in getting an interview/CB by popping in - what is the general strategy? I'm bummed I could not land an interview through the lottery, so, I have to resort to this...

Julio_El_Chavo

Re: Talk to me about hospitality suites, please?

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is up with the hospitality suites that firms host? Has anyone been successful in getting an interview/CB by popping in - what is the general strategy? I'm bummed I could not land an interview through the lottery, so, I have to resort to this...

I got a CB from a firm after a mediocre screening interview and after I hung out for 10-15 minutes talking to the firm's recruiting coordinator in a hospitality suite. Not sure if it's the reason I got the CB, but it probably didn't hurt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:32 pm

I was able to nab an interview with a firm that eventually gave me a callback by e-mailing in advance, but probably went to a dozen hospitality suites and dropped resumes to no avail. It seemed like maybe a couple took the resume drops seriously (e.g., actually looking materials over and then trying to squeeze in a person or two at lunch), but I'm almost positive that most recruiters were filing dropped resumes in their trash cans.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was able to nab an interview with a firm that eventually gave me a callback by e-mailing in advance, but probably went to a dozen hospitality suites and dropped resumes to no avail. It seemed like maybe a couple took the resume drops seriously (e.g., actually looking materials over and then trying to squeeze in a person or two at lunch), but I'm almost positive that most recruiters were filing dropped resumes in their trash cans.

Should I bring both a resume and transcript? So I just pop in, chit chat, and drop off my resume?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was able to nab an interview with a firm that eventually gave me a callback by e-mailing in advance, but probably went to a dozen hospitality suites and dropped resumes to no avail. It seemed like maybe a couple took the resume drops seriously (e.g., actually looking materials over and then trying to squeeze in a person or two at lunch), but I'm almost positive that most recruiters were filing dropped resumes in their trash cans.

Should I bring both a resume and transcript? So I just pop in, chit chat, and drop off my resume?

Resume and transcript, and you should have a few writing samples and reference sheets on hand just in case (both for suites and interviews - probably got asked for about 5-8 writing samples over 25 interviews and once in a suite, and one reference sheet in an interview). But yeah, that's the idea.

spondee

Postby spondee » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:08 pm

I had success with hospitality suites last year w/o any emailing or other contact beforehand. Went by the suite multiple times in the morning to try and find a time when it wasn't very busy. Then chatted with the attorneys/recruiting people for a few minutes. Then gave them my resume, transcript, & cover letter.

agm82

Postby agm82 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is up with the hospitality suites that firms host? Has anyone been successful in getting an interview/CB by popping in - what is the general strategy? I'm bummed I could not land an interview through the lottery, so, I have to resort to this...

Largely a waste of time unless you land a room where its just you and an interviewer.

Usually, it'll be you and a recruiter. When an interviewer or hiring partner is around, law students appear like bees to honey. At that point, its largely useless becuse the hiring partner's pretty much enjoying being the granter of money and jobs etc., and he's on his own little ego-trip. And your classmates are groveling and sucking up for a job. Low rate of return in that environment.

nycdweller

Postby nycdweller » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Got a few extra screeners this way where:

-I had met with recruiters before at career fairs or receptions or targeted them through mass emails and they remembered my interest
-I had an interesting story about meeting w attorney from said firm and how that piqued my interest in the firm
-Recruiter liked my résumé and slotted me into a shadow schedule / 20-min break in interviewer's schedule

You gotta work it. Go early in the morning and beat the crowd. And good numbers help.

barry

Postby barry » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:49 pm

Largely a waste of time unless you land a room where its just you and an interviewer.

Usually, it'll be you and a recruiter. When an interviewer or hiring partner is around, law students appear like bees to honey. At that point, its largely useless becuse the hiring partner's pretty much enjoying being the granter of money and jobs etc., and he's on his own little ego-trip. And your classmates are groveling and sucking up for a job. Low rate of return in that environment.

this made me lol

nyutransfer

Postby nyutransfer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:56 pm

go as early in the day as possible and ask if they can fit you in to the schedule. a few firms fit me in during lunch last year and called if times opened up.

Return to “Legal Employment”