Quinn Emanuel v. Boies Schiller

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Quinn Emanuel v. Boies Schiller

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interesting story, thanks for sharing. Did you get an offer after the Florida interview?

I have a callback at a different BSF office in the next few weeks; don't know what to expect in terms of CB/offer ratio.

Which office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:54 am

gulcregret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interesting story, thanks for sharing. Did you get an offer after the Florida interview?

I have a callback at a different BSF office in the next few weeks; don't know what to expect in terms of CB/offer ratio.

I did not get an offer. Apparently, and this is coming from the office's hiring partner, one of the named partners must sign off on all new hires and laterals. The office I interviewed with said they passed me along to the senior partners and I did not get a favorable decision. It took about two months after CB to receive my decision. I have no idea what the CB/offer ratio might be because I never asked that question nor have I heard of any of my peers getting in at Boies. I got my interview mostly through connections and not through my school's OCI.

I do know that they barely hire people each year and that permanent offers, especially in the smaller offices, are given to only about 1/2 to 2/3 of the summers. The office I interviewed with didn't even have a summer. I have stayed in touch with the office because I am hoping to get in after clerking. They pretty much require it, even for the associates that get in straight from school. One associate told me that he was strongly encouraged after two years at the firm to get a federal district clerkship.

Who did you interview with at the Miami office?

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
gulcregret wrote:

I did not get an offer. Apparently, and this is coming from the office's hiring partner, one of the named partners must sign off on all new hires and laterals. The office I interviewed with said they passed me along to the senior partners and I did not get a favorable decision. It took about two months after CB to receive my decision. I have no idea what the CB/offer ratio might be because I never asked that question nor have I heard of any of my peers getting in at Boies. I got my interview mostly through connections and not through my school's OCI.

I do know that they barely hire people each year and that permanent offers, especially in the smaller offices, are given to only about 1/2 to 2/3 of the summers. The office I interviewed with didn't even have a summer. I have stayed in touch with the office because I am hoping to get in after clerking. They pretty much require it, even for the associates that get in straight from school. One associate told me that he was strongly encouraged after two years at the firm to get a federal district clerkship.

Why would it be the Miami office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Which office?

I'd rather not say. One of the smaller ones.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:06 pm

for what it's worth, my impression of people's experiences is that Boies is a much, much better place to be an associate at (though still maybe awful given hours, the work is better)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:14 pm

gulcregret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
gulcregret wrote:

Why would it be the Miami office?

I forgot about the Fort Lauderdale office. Was it Miami or Ft. Lauderdale?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Which firm is better respected for its litigation ability? Also, which firm would you want on your resume if you were to lateral?

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:29 pm

There's also an Orlando office and a Hollywood office. I'd rather not say which office specifically in this forum because my other posts are pretty revealing, but feel free to PM me for more info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which firm is better respected for its litigation ability? Also, which firm would you want on your resume if you were to lateral?

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(1) They were very arrogant. Thought that there was no higher calling that working at Quinn, and that you would have to be crazy to work anywhere else. I know lots of firms like to talk about how they are great, but I definitely got a sense it was more than most, and more in a "other firms suck" sort of way rather than a "we are great" sort of way.

On the "arrogant" vein, true story from last year at CLS: Quinn name partner is doing EIP interviews. Candidate who is around median (and ended up getting a relatively good job) comes in. Partner asks for candidate's transcript. Partner informs candidate that he is below the grade cutoff and will not be getting a callback. He then says that the candidate is welcome to "continue the dog and pony show" and stick around to chat if he wants, or he can leave, since it is close to the end of the day.

They treated me quite nicely, but hearing this story really rubbed me the wrong way.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:(1) They were very arrogant. Thought that there was no higher calling that working at Quinn, and that you would have to be crazy to work anywhere else. I know lots of firms like to talk about how they are great, but I definitely got a sense it was more than most, and more in a "other firms suck" sort of way rather than a "we are great" sort of way.

On the "arrogant" vein, true story from last year at CLS: Quinn name partner is doing EIP interviews. Candidate who is around median (and ended up getting a relatively good job) comes in. Partner asks for candidate's transcript. Partner informs candidate that he is below the grade cutoff and will not be getting a callback. He then says that the candidate is welcome to "continue the dog and pony show" and stick around to chat if he wants, or he can leave, since it is close to the end of the day.

They treated me quite nicely, but hearing this story really rubbed me the wrong way.

i actually like this story for two reasons. first, a name partner is doing the interview. second, a law firm is actually transparent and honest about its recruiting policies. If i literally had 0% chance, I would want to know ASAP so I don't make an ass of myself but I guess that's just me 8)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

lolUrquhart

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:54 pm

QUINN REMAINS

nleefer

Postby nleefer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

At least at my school, Quinn was very upfront about the grade cutoffs. In the firm information section they basically said don't bid if you don't have X grades. I assume it was similar at CLS, and if so I'm not sure why the median candidate would be surprised by this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:02 pm

nleefer wrote:
At least at my school, Quinn was very upfront about the grade cutoffs. In the firm information section they basically said don't bid if you don't have X grades. I assume it was similar at CLS, and if so I'm not sure why the median candidate would be surprised by this.

(1) There's no such information at CLS. Maybe that's the school's fault rather than the firm's (i.e., CLS did not allow them to say something like that), but regardless it's not there.

(2) Maybe so, but if I were the interviewer, I would kill 20 minutes having a conversation with the kid, instead of basically saying "no, sorry, get out."

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:45 pm

englawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i actually like this story for two reasons. first, a name partner is doing the interview. second, a law firm is actually transparent and honest about its recruiting policies. If i literally had 0% chance, I would want to know ASAP so I don't make an ass of myself but I guess that's just me 8)

hearing this story would rub me the wrong way too, if i were looking at the firm

and while i too appreciate interviewers being honest and genuine, you can do it without being an ass as well -- not saying thats how it went down in that interview, maybe interviewer wasnt asinine at all, but one could certainly be less quotable (in a bad way)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:02 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

hearing this story would rub me the wrong way too, if i were looking at the firm

and while i too appreciate interviewers being honest and genuine, you can do it without being an ass as well -- not saying thats how it went down in that interview, maybe interviewer wasnt asinine at all, but one could certainly be less quotable (in a bad way)

This definitely rubs me the wrong way. Although I do appreciate the honesty (I agree- interviewing when you're below a strict cutoff is a complete waste of time), if they really wanted to play it like that, make it clear during the bidding stage. Don't make people waste bids on you, warn them away!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:27 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This definitely rubs me the wrong way. Although I do appreciate the honesty (I agree- interviewing when you're below a strict cutoff is a complete waste of time), if they really wanted to play it like that, make it clear during the bidding stage. Don't make people waste bids on you, warn them away!

I completely agree. I'm honest to firms - I won't interview with a firm that's below my strict Vault cutoff limit. In fact, I told Dechert, "let's be honest. For me, it was either see you or cancel my entire schedule and miss Cravath. Lets stop this show right now. No, I don't even need your firm flyer. Yes, I'll take your awesome earbuds."

For all the super stressed out people, relax I'm joking.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I completely agree. I'm honest to firms - I won't interview with a firm that's below my strict Vault cutoff limit. In fact, I told Dechert, "let's be honest. For me, it was either see you or cancel my entire schedule and miss Cravath. Lets stop this show right now. No, I don't even need your firm flyer. Yes, I'll take your awesome earbuds."

Dechert gave out earbuds?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:35 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Dechert gave out earbuds?

Amazing earbuds.

Return to “Legal Employment”