received offer- tell other firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

received offer- tell other firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:48 pm

If I have received an offer but because of the NALP guidelines, I have a date I need to let them know by, can I tell another firm I have an offer if I need to schedule my call-back before that date but they do not have any available?

User avatar
starchinkilt
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:22 am

Re: received offer- tell other firms?

Postby starchinkilt » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:53 pm

Yes

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: received offer- tell other firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:09 pm

I've had at least two firms actually tell me to contact them ASAP if I get an offer elsewhere. I assume that this is common practice.

So, yes. Spread the word.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: received offer- tell other firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:15 am

Would I tell another firm during the call back? Maybe the recruiting person or hiring partner?

User avatar
starchinkilt
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:22 am

Re: received offer- tell other firms?

Postby starchinkilt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Would I tell another firm during the call back? Maybe the recruiting person or hiring partner?


Tell the recruiter at the end of the call back when you're leaving.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: received offer- tell other firms?

Postby dood » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:24 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Would I tell another firm during the call back? Maybe the recruiting person or hiring partner?


Tell the recruiter at the end of the call back when you're leaving.


a lot of time they ask too

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: received offer- tell other firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:46 pm

I have a similar question.
I went to a job fair in late July and as a result I received an offer for a job last Thurs, but I'm still doing some screener interviews with firms I'm very interested in at my school's OCI this week. I like the firm that I got the offer from, but it's not one of my top picks. Is it ever appropriate to mention in screener interviews that I would like to hear back about a call back as soon as possible if they decide to give me one?
I got a good vibe from my interviewer this morning about a call back coming up, so would it be possible to talk to the recruiting manager at that firm? Or would any of this come across in a negative way?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: received offer- tell other firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:08 am

Got an offer from a firm late Friday that is generally considered better than or at least on the same tier as my #1 choice firm. Should I wait until Tuesday to call the recruiting office and let them know that the clock is ticking (and that a good firm wants me) or should I e-mail ASAP? I'm already expecting a ding (and probably currently on a hold list) from this firm, so my hope is that letting them know about my other offers might get them to take a second look. I don't want to blow it by waiting too long.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: received offer- tell other firms?

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer from a firm late Friday that is generally considered better than or at least on the same tier as my #1 choice firm. Should I wait until Tuesday to call the recruiting office and let them know that the clock is ticking (and that a good firm wants me) or should I e-mail ASAP? I'm already expecting a ding (and probably currently on a hold list) from this firm, so my hope is that letting them know about my other offers might get them to take a second look. I don't want to blow it by waiting too long.

Wait until Tuesday and call. It's better than sending an email over a long weekend where there's a chance it'll get lost in the pile of emails they'll have to sort through when they get back to the office.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: received offer- tell other firms?

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it ever appropriate to mention in screener interviews that I would like to hear back about a call back as soon as possible if they decide to give me one?

Do NOT do this -- firm's have their own schedule, and the screening interviewer normally has no say in when the callback decisions are made. Plus, it'd be really awkward, which is what you are trying to avoid in interviews...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: received offer- tell other firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:50 pm

A lot of the advice in this thread seems to conflict with what I got here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=164369

WTF?

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: received offer- tell other firms?

Postby Bosque » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:01 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it ever appropriate to mention in screener interviews that I would like to hear back about a call back as soon as possible if they decide to give me one?

Do NOT do this -- firm's have their own schedule, and the screening interviewer normally has no say in when the callback decisions are made. Plus, it'd be really awkward, which is what you are trying to avoid in interviews...


I disagree. Wait until the end of the interview, and then tell them as you are gathering your things/headed to the door. Just because the screening interviewer has no say on when callback decisions are made does not mean they cannot pass along your message to those who do. If they like you enough they will make an effort to accelerate you, and if they don't you are not leaving the firm who did hanging.

This advice only applies if you like the firm who already gave you an offer. If you don't and have no intention of taking it, don't do this as it might backfire if you are a marginal candidate.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: received offer- tell other firms?

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A lot of the advice in this thread seems to conflict with what I got here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=164369

WTF?

I've never heard that you shouldn't talk about your offers.

When I received an offer I let the other firms I was interviewing with know and received 2 more offers by the end of the week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: received offer- tell other firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:26 pm

I got two offers on Thursday. On Friday morning, nursing a hell of a hangover, I sent e-mails to the recruiting coordinators at 3-4 firms I remain interested in and basically, and respectfully, asked 'em to hurry the hell up. In one case it had been 2+ weeks since my callback.

Result? 1 additional offer - from the 2+ weeks firm; this came about 3 hours after the e-mail. Also, 2 firms told me they'd get to me by middle of this week.

Note: The firms I contacted had explicitly ended my callbacks with a request to be notified if I received offers elsewhere.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: received offer- tell other firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A lot of the advice in this thread seems to conflict with what I got here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=164369

WTF?


I posted this. In my case, the firm where I have an offer is my #1 choice, so even if I got an offer from the CB in that thread, I probably wouldn't take it. But because you never know (firm #1 could be hit by a meteor tomorrow -- j/k, but yeah), I want that offer anyway. I now officially regret leaving that CB without mentioning it.

I got two offers on Thursday. On Friday morning, nursing a hell of a hangover, I sent e-mails to the recruiting coordinators at 3-4 firms I remain interested in and basically, and respectfully, asked 'em to hurry the hell up. In one case it had been 2+ weeks since my callback.

Result? 1 additional offer - from the 2+ weeks firm; this came about 3 hours after the e-mail.

Would it be douchy to then turn down the additional offer? Would you have engaged in this exercise if the first offer was your first choice?

Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: received offer- tell other firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would it be douchy to then turn down the additional offer? Would you have engaged in this exercise if the first offer was your first choice?

Thanks.

I'm the poster you questioned.

Answer: No and no.

My thinking is that unless you're 100% certain on a given firm, there is nothing wrong, douchey, etc. with getting as many offers as NALP/your school allows - and that you would very seriously consider - and comparing them against each other.

In my case, 1 of my initial offers was with a firm that's very high on my list. But I don't yet have a clear-cut favorite. Instead, I've got about 4-5 firms that have equally great selling points but vary in many ways.

If it happens that I ultimately choose that first firm, then so be it. The firms that extended later offers aren't gonna get all upset that they extended me an offer that I ultimately rejected, as long as I'm not obviously doing it to put notches in my belt.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.