How to ask questions during a two person interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yung

How to ask questions during a two person interview

Postby yung » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi everyone, I have never had a interview with 2 people at the same time and I having my first one tomorrow.
I understand the basica idea of having eye contact with both but I'm wondering how I should ask questions? Do I address it to the partner? to both?
I'm also wondering about what I should call them by (under the presumption that they do not introduce themselves)? Should it be Mr and Ms. or by first name base of both?

Any suggestiong would be greatly appreciated

TigerBeer

Re: How to ask questions during a two person interview

Postby TigerBeer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:23 pm

yung wrote:Hi everyone, I have never had a interview with 2 people at the same time and I having my first one tomorrow.
I understand the basica idea of having eye contact with both but I'm wondering how I should ask questions? Do I address it to the partner? to both?
I'm also wondering about what I should call them by (under the presumption that they do not introduce themselves)? Should it be Mr and Ms. or by first name base of both?

Any suggestiong would be greatly appreciated

Call them by their first names.

Often if it's a 2 person interview, it'll be one partner and one associate. If you have questions about the summer program or associate-level work, address it to the associate. Broader questions can be addressed to both. I can't really think of any questions that you can address solely to the partner that wouldn't feel awkward.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:34 pm

I disagree with the above. Start with Mr./Ms. and if they introduce themselves using their first names, switch to first names. Have separate questions for each one and have some questions that you can address to both. It's not too bad: often they'll play off of one another's answers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:51 pm

I can't think of any reason you would need to use names at all during the course of the interview, certainly not before they introduce themselves. If you want to direct a question at just one, maintain eye contact, use gestures, etc. to indicate. If you do feel a need to use names, I would use first names, though. Mr./Ms. XXXX is stilted and formal, and doesn't create the friendly atmosphere you want in a legal interview.

yung

Postby yung » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:56 pm

so is the consensus addressing questions to seperate interviewers? I shouldn't have questions that ask both?
Would it be considered kind of rude to only address the associate in certain questions?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:00 pm

yung wrote:so is the consensus addressing questions to seperate interviewers? I shouldn't have questions that ask both?
Would it be considered kind of rude to only address the associate in certain questions?

During one of my interviews the 2 year associate was in a group I was interested in and the partner was in a group I wasn't that interested in. All of my questions went to the associate only and the partner would add overarching themes to the associate's answer. I got a callback within 24 hours. Be tactful of course, but address questions to those who can answer them best. Remember to joke around and have a good time while selling yourself.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Inflect your tone of voice upward at the end of your sentence to signal that you are asking a question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:03 pm

yung wrote:so is the consensus addressing questions to seperate interviewers? I shouldn't have questions that ask both?

There's nothing wrong with questions for both of them. One of the better questions IMO is "Why did you choose X firm?", which goes to both of them and can get very different answers from each. There's usually some insightful information in there as well, although a lot of it is recruiting BS as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:

There's nothing wrong with questions for both of them. One of the better questions IMO is "Why did you choose X firm?", which goes to both of them and can get very different answers from each. There's usually some insightful information in there as well, although a lot of it is recruiting BS as well.

This kind of question is the exact kind that I am worried about. I am planning on asking them why particular practice area(They are both in the same practice area), but I'm wondering how I should phrase such question? Should I address both of their names? Should I say something like "I am wondering for both of you...." or should it be something just like "Why did you choose so and so practice area" and not address either one?

Also do I have to ask any questions that is just for one lawyer or another? And if I do how should I address the question? Should it be like "This question is for so and so..."?

Sorry Guys I have never had one of these before and the first one I'm having is going to be with my top choice firm which makes me nervous as hell..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This kind of question is the exact kind that I am worried about. I am planning on asking them why particular practice area(They are both in the same practice area), but I'm wondering how I should phrase such question? Should I address both of their names? Should I say something like "I am wondering for both of you...." or should it be something just like "Why did you choose so and so practice area" and not address either one?

Also do I have to ask any questions that is just for one lawyer or another? And if I do how should I address the question? Should it be like "This question is for so and so..."?

Sorry Guys I have never had one of these before and the first one I'm having is going to be with my top choice firm which makes me nervous as hell..

i can understand your nerves, but i think you're over thinking it too much. if you go in with a script in mind, the conversation is going to feel forced and awkward. you want the conversation to flow organically. have a few questions in your back pocket in case the conversation lulls, but otherwise just play off their answers and ask questions that flow naturally from that. your goal should be to make them feel as comfortable as possible, and if you're not comfortable because you're straining to find the perfect question and the perfect way to ask it, then they're not going to be, either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Op here- just want to thank you all for the advices I think I did pretty well

Return to “Legal Employment”