Quinn Emanuel Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Quinn Emanuel

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:02 am

Wore business casual to my CB (LA). One interviewer gave me props on not wearing a suit, and said that most of their candidates showed up in suits even though they recommended business casual. Offer on the spot, probably going to accept it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Wore business casual to my CB (LA). One interviewer gave me props on not wearing a suit, and said that most of their candidates showed up in suits even though they recommended business casual. Offer on the spot, probably going to accept it.
Do you think this really has to do with your attire? Or just your qualifications / fit? I think that's really weird if it's just b/c you dressed bizcasual.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:10 pm

I hear if you show up in jeans and a t-shirt to their screeners they skip the CB stage and just give you an offer right there.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:56 pm

A rapist among us.. Quinn Emanuel

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:48 pm

Grizz, are you considering Quinn or do you just post in all the threads because you like the "QUINN REMAINS" meme?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:09 pm

Saw in another thread that in the past Quinn has has a post-CB offer rate of close to 80% at CLS. Is this an anomaly or does Quinn really have an unusually high offer rate? I'm mostly wondering about NYC, but I'm sure others would appreciate thoughts on the other offices as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Saw in another thread that in the past Quinn has has a post-CB offer rate of close to 80% at CLS. Is this an anomaly or does Quinn really have an unusually high offer rate? I'm mostly wondering about NYC, but I'm sure others would appreciate thoughts on the other offices as well.
Sort of related question, has Quinn NYC been doing same day/next day offers this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wore business casual to my CB (LA). One interviewer gave me props on not wearing a suit, and said that most of their candidates showed up in suits even though they recommended business casual. Offer on the spot, probably going to accept it.
Do you think this really has to do with your attire? Or just your qualifications / fit? I think that's really weird if it's just b/c you dressed bizcasual.
All I was pointing out was: (1) they suggest wearing business casual; (2) one of the interviewers said most people don't; (3) they take note of people who do. I suspect it might help in some intangible way (it's a good way to suggest that you're a strong fit with the culture) but I wasn't claiming that it had a significant effect, let alone that it got me the offer.

That said, they are not very choosy at the callback stage, partially because they realize that they have the sort of reputation where people who are a good fit will self-select in and those who are not will go somewhere else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:58 pm

so for the people who dressed "business casual," what did you actually wear?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so for the people who dressed "business casual," what did you actually wear?
Suit pants and dress shirt. Got an offer before I left the office. I doubt that what you wear affects their decision much, but I would've felt awkward dressed any nicer (felt a bit out of place dressed business casual).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:so for the people who dressed "business casual," what did you actually wear?
Suit pants and dress shirt. Got an offer before I left the office. I doubt that what you wear affects their decision much, but I would've felt awkward dressed any nicer (felt a bit out of place dressed business casual).
edit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:06 pm

when does NY office give offers?
seems like people got it right after interviews. otherwise ding?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:when does NY office give offers?
seems like people got it right after interviews. otherwise ding?
bump...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:30 pm

I got mine the Monday after my interview. The right away is an LA thing, I think.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Got mine the next day. (NY)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:43 pm

GeePee wrote:I got mine the Monday after my interview. The right away is an LA thing, I think.
Friend interviewing in Bay Area got an offer after meeting only two interviewers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:48 pm

bay area. got offer after lunch at the office

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody got CB's at Quinn DC?
did they actually recruit for the DC office at your school? they didn't at HLS
I strongly doubt an office that literally was just opened is taking in summer associates.
really? lets think about that logically bro.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bay area. got offer after lunch at the office
SV or SF?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:01 pm

So what do you guys think, is Quinn a good place to work? I liked the people, but, as usual, am afraid of the hours. Thoughts from those considering it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So what do you guys think, is Quinn a good place to work? I liked the people, but, as usual, am afraid of the hours. Thoughts from those considering it?
Here's my analysis of SF office. The points can go either way depending on where your priorities lie.

-> SF location. Most biglaw opportunities in the bay area are in SV. Some associates do the commute but I've heard its terrible. This is very preferable for someone planning to live in SF.

-> Strong reputation/prestige. One of the best for IP. Bigname cases like Samsung v. Apple (Quinn represents Samsung). A goto firm for IP lit.

-> Very social firm. Associates seem to hang out a lot, go out to bars, etc. Could be a pro or con depending on your personality.

-> Litigation focus. Less conflicts (for example, Quinn = P firm for the financial crisis litigation..pretty cool). Also surrounded with like-minded folks who are interested in lit.

-> The hours *are* worse. Known as the longest in the bay area. It's work-hard/play-hard..work hard is part of that. Then again associates report what matters is that the work gets done..no face time requirement etc. I've also heard the bay area offices are a bit better than NY office hours wise.

-> Money-focused firm. Doesn't care about pro-bono, diversity, formal training, or other perks that most firms have. Very down to business.

-> Branch seems to revolve around Charles Verhoeven. IE the cases are setup so that they can be handed off for him to go to trial, he is the name on all the docs, etc. Seems like you could be f*cked if you rub him the wrong way lol.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:49 pm

how is the offer rate after SA at quinn?
and anyone know the summer class this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:02 pm

Offers are 100% for SAs, as far as I know. Career stability seems good in that it's not an up-and-out kind of joint. As long as you are billing, you're welcome to stay even if you're not on partner track. That said, people do burn out and leave all the time.

It's got a unique sort of atmosphere that's not for everyone. It's a good fit for aggressive self-starters who definitely want litigation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So what do you guys think, is Quinn a good place to work? I liked the people, but, as usual, am afraid of the hours. Thoughts from those considering it?
Here's my analysis of SF office. The points can go either way depending on where your priorities lie.
-> Branch seems to revolve around Charles Verhoeven. IE the cases are setup so that they can be handed off for him to go to trial, he is the name on all the docs, etc. Seems like you could be f*cked if you rub him the wrong way lol.
Thanks for a very helpful post. We seem to have similar impressions. Any idea HOW many more hours you work at Quinn than the other bay area firms? I love the idea of being scarppy, hardworking, being the best, but I don't want to be taken advantage of and work more than my peers - that just seems stupid. :( It's a very difficult decision. I also have an offer from Simpson Thacher in NY and, weirdly enough, it seemed like the people there weren't working so much that they were sick. I got the feeling from some of the Quinners that they really, really work a lot. But they seemed to like it. Is it stupid to go to Simpson when you just have an idea of maybe doing transactional, but you're pretty sure you want lit? Re handing off trials to Verhoeven - do you think juniors at Quinn really get more experience like they say? Do the big dogs take over when things get interesting?

peter2009

New

Post by peter2009 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:34 pm

Anyone know about Quinn's bankruptcy practice in NY? Their financial Lit has been hot and now they seem to be expanding their bankruptcy practice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”