Quinn Emanuel

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Quinn Emanuel

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:03 am

Should I wear a suit to the callback? It seems like they take the "wear what you want" thing pretty seriously.

Anonymous User

Re: Quinn Emanuel

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Should I wear a suit to the callback? It seems like they take the "wear what you want" thing pretty seriously.

Yes

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:58 am

QUINN REMAINS

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:58 am

Also, lol.

goreman

Postby goreman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:06 pm

I actually asked this of the associate who was in my interview during the post-interview dinner. She said they really do take the "wear what you want" thing seriously, though most candidates still end up wearing suits. She said that while jeans were acceptable, it has never really been done and didn't recommend it. She actually just recommended wearing something in the business casual sense - nice slacks, shoes, and a dress shirt - and that would be perfectly fine. She said wearing either would not really cause an issue at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Wore a suit, was totally comfortable, got an offer.

Plenty of people in the office were either in suits or approaching suits. Most big law firms have some form of business casual dress these days so you're likely to be "over dressed" basically everywhere you interview, which is a good thing. As long as you're not strutting around in a tux, a standard suit is perfectly acceptable for interview situations whatever the person on the other side of the table is in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:20 pm

Not sure what office you are interviewing at, but in LA almost everyone was in jeans/super casual clothing. NY might be more formal. Our career services said wear a suit in these situations, but IDK.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:41 pm

consider the casual dress code a reward for AFTER you get an offer. before that point you are still competing against the other applicants who will be showing up in suits.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:46 pm

englawyer wrote:consider the casual dress code a reward for AFTER you get an offer. before that point you are still competing against the other applicants who will be showing up in suits.

I'm inclined to agree. The callback email specifically says "we recommend you wear business casual to your callback interview" though. Always better to air on the side of caution, I'd think, but going against their explicit instructions seems a bit odd to me too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:50 pm

No. A 3L at my school who just summered in SF told me explicitly not to. I hadn't even asked.

So, I wore chinos and a button-down shirt. I was the most dressed-up guy in the house, because everybody had on jeans and sneakers. And while I know that doesn't mean anything -- you still need to wear a suit at Jones Day even if everyone's wearing Friday jeans -- at Quinn, they honestly do not care. If anything, they might think you don't "fit" if you wear a suit to the callback.

ETA: I was at the SF office. NYC may be more formal. I don't know. But if you're West Coast, do what the firm tells you to do and don't wear a suit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:05 pm

I am interviewing in NYC.

I definitely wasn't planning on wearing jeans and flip flops to the interview, but am having a tough time deciding between suit or business casual. I'm inclined to err on the side of caution, but I don't want to come in looking overdressed like I don't fit in.

I can't imagine they would actually fault me for wearing a suit though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No. A 3L at my school who just summered in SF told me explicitly not to. I hadn't even asked.

So, I wore chinos and a button-down shirt. I was the most dressed-up guy in the house, because everybody had on jeans and sneakers. And while I know that doesn't mean anything -- you still need to wear a suit at Jones Day even if everyone's wearing Friday jeans -- at Quinn, they honestly do not care. If anything, they might think you don't "fit" if you wear a suit to the callback.

ETA: I was at the SF office. NYC may be more formal. I don't know. But if you're West Coast, do what the firm tells you to do and don't wear a suit.

I'll repeat for effect: I wore a suit to my callback and got an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:52 pm

For my SF callback, they specifically said "we recommend business casual, but a suit is OK." I did business casual. I was still dressed nicer than everyone else there (which is a similar dynamic as wearing a suit to any other Biglaw firm). Got an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:55 pm

Wear a suit. Every interviewee I have ever seen at Quinn (NYC) has worn a suit. Quinn attorneys also wear suits when they go to court or have important meetings that require suits, so it's not like anyone will think you're a douche for not wearing flip flops to an event you take seriously.

The NYC office is somewhat dressier than the CA offices, but not by requirement -- people in NYC generally just tend to dress better (or at least less casually) than people in LA. There's a big range. Some people do in fact wear jeans and sneakers to the office. Others wear something that more resembles business casual. Anything within that range is really fine and no one pays attention to what you have on. But, that's an after-you-get-the-offer wardrobe assessment. For the interview, wear a suit. It's what people do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No. A 3L at my school who just summered in SF told me explicitly not to. I hadn't even asked.

I'll repeat for effect: I wore a suit to my callback and got an offer.

Good for you. But your success has nothing to do with the suit or lack of suit.

OP: Wear what you think best, but know that Quinn is not trying to test you or play games, in either direction.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll repeat for effect: I wore a suit to my callback and got an offer.

Was this just now in NYC? I remember being told very specifically that Quinn dings anyone who wears a suit to a callback. Maybe that's just the Cali offices.

In any case it's probably not worth the risk - I'd wear a button-down and khakis. No way you'll look either over- or under-dressed that way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:18 pm

Quinn doesn't have a dress code because Quinn doesn't really give a shit what you wear, but is more interested in the work that you do/can do. There is no "automatic ding" for wearing anything to a callback. That's absurd.

I am not as familiar with the CA offices, but I have seen many interviewees at the Quinn NYC offices, in suits. Sometimes being interviewed by attorneys in suits (who just came from court, or client meetings). Most people wear suits to interviews, because that's what lawyers wear when the occasion calls for it -- even those who work for Quinn.

Honestly, no one is going to think about, comment on, or base a decision on whether or not you wear a suit. The lack of dress code thing is about clothes not being very important, not about sending the right message with your cool laid-back sneakers.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:36 pm

Wear a suit. If you become uncomfortable with the level of formality or someone comments when you show up, you can always just lose the tie and unbutton the top button on your shirt (preferably not where anyone is looking at you). Instant business casual, especially if you go with a shirt not generally the most appropriate for formal interviews (I'm thinking a plain, understated white pinstripe or a very pale beige, gray, or even lilac pastel).

-Pufer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:40 pm

does wearing suits mean "suit + tie", totally formal as you would to any other firm?

for business casual, is the navy blazer with golden buttons ok?
or is that "casual casual", something you would wear to a sunday brunch?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:46 pm

What I've seen (NYC) is normal, lawyer interview attire. Dark suit, tie.

If you are the kind of dude who wears a navy blazer with gold buttons to brunch, you really might not fit in at Quinn.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are the kind of dude who wears a navy blazer with gold buttons to brunch, you really might not fit in at Quinn.

what do you mean? isn't that normal if you go to a cliff house with nice view?

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you are the kind of dude who wears a navy blazer with gold buttons to brunch, you really might not fit in at Quinn.

A nautical blazer (the gold buttons make it nautical) is appropriate if it is (1) a casual event (i.e., you're be fine wearing the blazer over jeans), (2) during late spring/early summer, and (3) is outdoors, on a boat, or at a nautical/fraternal club.

An interview is not this kind of casual, is not outdoors, and it's almost September.

-Pufer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Pufer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

A nautical blazer (the gold buttons make it nautical) is appropriate if it is (1) a casual event (i.e., you're be fine wearing the blazer over jeans), (2) during late spring/early summer, and (3) is outdoors, on a boat, or at a nautical/fraternal club.

An interview is not this kind of casual, is not outdoors, and it's almost September.

-Pufer

thanks! this confirms my thought.
although never knew it's seasonal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Just wear a suit - it's easier. I wore a suit last year and nobody blinked twice (and I got an offer).

Supposedly people show up in more casual clothes and I'm sure that's fine. But many people show up in suits and they're certainly not going to hold it against you at all.

Keep in mind also that you will meet with people in all different types of dress. One guy I interviewed with was wearing shorts and a t shirt. But another was wearing a suit (sans tie) because he had a client meeting earlier that day. Personally, I would feel uncomfortable being less dressed than anyone I interviewed with, so I wore a suit.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
englawyer wrote:consider the casual dress code a reward for AFTER you get an offer. before that point you are still competing against the other applicants who will be showing up in suits.

I'm inclined to agree. The callback email specifically says "we recommend you wear business casual to your callback interview" though. Always better to air on the side of caution, I'd think, but going against their explicit instructions seems a bit odd to me too.

1) Listen to what the firm tells you before you listen to anyone else. 2) This article mentions someone in the NYC office thinking the casual dress code in CA goes too far.

Business casual will make everybody happy.

Return to “Legal Employment”