Unique situation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unique situation

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:41 am

I want to apply to this biglaw firm (NLJ250) in another part of my state. In that part of the state they ahve two offices about 1.5 hours away from each other. I have ties to both towns and would be willing ot work at either. They only haev one recruiting director for the whole firm who we are instructed to send our materials to. How should I go about expressing interest in both offices without sounding desperate. Should I mention both cities in my cover letter? But then what if the other office sees that I'm also interested in the other? I plan to email alum at both offices but I first need to know how to handle the initial application.

Thanks.

ResIpsa21

Re: Unique situation

Postby ResIpsa21 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:47 am

This really shouldn't be that huge of an issue. 1.5 hours apart is practically the same market, so expressing interest in both offices isn't nearly as bad as saying something like "I really want to practice in Dallas, but I really want to practice in Philadelphia."

I would suggest applying to both and then having a sentence in your cover letter that sounds like "I am particularly interested in joining either the [First City] or [Second City] offices, since [I have X tie to First City] and [I have Y tie to Second City]." If you can do that succinctly and effectively, then I doubt this will hurt you at all.

If you have an interview, just remember that they probably haven't bothered reading your cover letter anyway, and you should be prepared to explain where you want to work and why. At that stage, though, it should also be pretty easy to handle. You should be able to explain this without sound like you are uncommitted, and you can also make it sound like you love the firm so much that you are happy to work in either office.

Anonymous User

Re: Unique situation

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:57 am

I just expressed interest in two different cities (100 miles apart) in 2 of my cover letters last week, my current location (been here long before law school) and a big city where I used to live and still have family. The law firms had offices in both cities, and though I'd prefer the big city, I thought it would be safer to hedge my bets. Can't say whether it will work (pre-select time is still a week away), but I really don't see anything wrong with that. I don't see why I should restrict my interest to a single city when, despite a preference for one, I would be OK with, and have strong ties to both.

Return to “Legal Employment”