Proper way to contact non-OCI firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Proper way to contact non-OCI firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:05 am

I feel stupid asking this, but I'm not sure how standardized this process may or may not be. I am looking to contact firms in my target region that are not attending my OCI and I'm not completely sure how to approach this or how standardized or not things may be.

Do you just email the firm with a cover letter explaining your interest in their summer program and let them figure out, if they are interested, what sort of interviewing procedure they want (I'm not in the geographic area)? Do I ask for a phone interview? Should I say I'll be in the area in about a month, and then if they are interested...actually get to the area in about a month? Should I ask for something in particular, or just express my interest?

Or am I over-thinking this and it is the same thing as the 1L job search for the most part?

barry

Bronze

Re: Proper way to contact non-OCI firms?

Post by barry » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:08 am

Just email them and attach a cover letter, resume, and transcript. You basically let them decide, but if you are going to be in town definitely let them know (b/c it may up your chances since they won't have to foot the transportation), also tell them you would be open to a phone interview as well if you want. Make sure that you put in something about why you like the firm and perhaps the region if it is unclear from your resume.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:I feel stupid asking this, but I'm not sure how standardized this process may or may not be. I am looking to contact firms in my target region that are not attending my OCI and I'm not completely sure how to approach this or how standardized or not things may be.

Do you just email the firm with a cover letter explaining your interest in their summer program and let them figure out, if they are interested, what sort of interviewing procedure they want (I'm not in the geographic area)? Do I ask for a phone interview? Should I say I'll be in the area in about a month, and then if they are interested...actually get to the area in about a month? Should I ask for something in particular, or just express my interest?

Or am I over-thinking this and it is the same thing as the 1L job search for the most part?
I have had great success e-mailing firms that don't come to my OCI. In the body of the e-mail I discuss who I am, how I'm disappointed they don't come to my OCI because qualities X, Y, and Z of the firm really appeal to me, how I'm going to be in town from Date X to Date Y, and how I would love to be able to do an interview with the firm. I attach my résumé, and that's it. In my experience, you either get no reply, a reply wishing to set up an interview, or a reply asking for more info (such as a writing sample or transcript). More than likely, if they're interested, they'll want you to come in for a 20-30 minute in-office screener. It's a fairly easy process.

EDIT: Didn't realize that you're not going to be in the area for another month; in that case, explicitly state you'll be open for a phone interview. I don't think they're going to want to wait until the third of fourth week of September to do a screener.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:29 am

This is the OP:

The situation is that I was a 1L in the city I want to work in, but am transferring to a T10 out of state. I've been in the city/region I want to work in for nearly a decade for school and work. I don't really have a date I'll be back, but I'm more than happy to make a trip back to visit for interviews, but I am concerned about being circumspect about dates I'll be there and getting interviews a week apart (flights ain't cheap).

Also, is it really the standard to attach a PDF cover letter rather than just have the body of an email be the cover letter with an attached resume?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:33 am

Anonymous User wrote: Also, is it really the standard to attach a PDF cover letter rather than just have the body of an email be the cover letter with an attached resume?
I would recommend the cover letter being in the body of the e-mail, but I'm not sure how much it matters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”