finnegan DC best for patents? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

finnegan DC best for patents?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:08 am

trying to figure out whats the best shop for patent lit. Seems like they're in charge of most of the patent cases, and have the most # of patent attorneys in one office.

Also, didn't lay off a bunch of people like Fish few years ago.

What are other good ones?

Anonymous User

Re: finnegan DC best for patents?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:trying to figure out whats the best shop for patent lit. Seems like they're in charge of most of the patent cases, and have the most # of patent attorneys in one office.

i don't know if it's the best, but it's top 3, at the very least. can't go wrong working there. only heard good things.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:24 am

I don't think there's a "best" patent firm. The kind of work you do in IP varies dramatically based on what kinds of companies (large or small) and what kinds of technology (biotech vs. EE, etc.) you're dealing with. If you want to do IP work for start-ups, Finnegan is not even close to the best IP firm. But if you're looking for high-profile biotech patent prosecution or high-profile, tech-heavy IP lit, Finnegan might be close to the best if not the best.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:49 am

CB'ed there. Hoping for that call. Great people, great firm, would LOVE to work there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:05 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:I don't think there's a "best" patent firm. The kind of work you do in IP varies dramatically based on what kinds of companies (large or small) and what kinds of technology (biotech vs. EE, etc.) you're dealing with. If you want to do IP work for start-ups, Finnegan is not even close to the best IP firm. But if you're looking for high-profile biotech patent prosecution or high-profile, tech-heavy IP lit, Finnegan might be close to the best if not the best.
what're some others? Fish? Kirkland? Ropes?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:I don't think there's a "best" patent firm. The kind of work you do in IP varies dramatically based on what kinds of companies (large or small) and what kinds of technology (biotech vs. EE, etc.) you're dealing with. If you want to do IP work for start-ups, Finnegan is not even close to the best IP firm. But if you're looking for high-profile biotech patent prosecution or high-profile, tech-heavy IP lit, Finnegan might be close to the best if not the best.
what're some others? Fish? Kirkland? Ropes?
http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/42670

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:28 am

Quinn Emmanuel won best IP litigation dept last year from American Lawyer. Of course if you want to work there you have to realize that billing 2400 hours = slacking :wink: .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:36 am

I think # of patent attorneys is a silly metric. For example, desmarais llp or Matt Powers' new firm could very well be considered amongst the top IP lit places even though they are tiny. You really want to look at quality rather than quantity, and from the associates perspective, I think smaller is actually better because you will have more opportunities to interact with the key partners and will get more responsibility early on.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think # of patent attorneys is a silly metric. For example, Desmarais LLP or Matt Powers' new firm could very well be considered amongst the top IP lit places even though they are tiny. You really want to look at quality rather than quantity, and from the associates perspective, I think smaller is actually better because you will have more opportunities to interact with the key partners and will get more responsibility early on.
Do we know of any Matt Powers cases yet? Who is he going to be able to sue? He's probably conflicted out of cases involving most of Silicon Valley.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:05 pm

# of attorneys maybe references depth of bench.

Among the band 1 firms, only Finnegan Mofo Kirkland and Quinn have deep IP benches.
The rest, eg. Wilmer Hale, Weil, Irell, etc. only have like one guy each. And Weil's "one guy" was Matt Powers. Sounds like they had other deflections too. I always thought Weil's strength was bankruptcy, not IP.

Anyway, I'd say Finnegan, MoFo, Kirkland, and Quinn are the best. You can't do prosecution at Kirkland or Quinn though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:06 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think # of patent attorneys is a silly metric. For example, Desmarais LLP or Matt Powers' new firm could very well be considered amongst the top IP lit places even though they are tiny. You really want to look at quality rather than quantity, and from the associates perspective, I think smaller is actually better because you will have more opportunities to interact with the key partners and will get more responsibility early on.
Do we know of any Matt Powers cases yet? Who is he going to be able to sue? He's probably conflicted out of cases involving most of Silicon Valley.
I know someone who works at Weil, he/she seemed pretty happy that Powers left. I bet he's going to make a ton of money at his new firm though, wherever that is.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:trying to figure out whats the best shop for patent lit. Seems like they're in charge of most of the patent cases, and have the most # of patent attorneys in one office.

Dooderino, sharpen your internetz research skillz.

There's not really one "best" shop for patent lit because the field is so specialized and nuanced. For example, tech patent cases and pharma cases are like apples and oranges. Some firms kill it in EE/tech lit, but some firms kill it in pharma/etc lit. Moreover, there's a patent/lit/transactional breakdown between firms. Thus, firm/industry discrepancies make it effectively impossible to say that one firm is decidedly "better" than another.

To be fair, however, there are some firms that are awesome/less awesome than others in their respective patent fields. As one poaster mentioned above, chambers is a pretty decent metric.

On a broader note, if you wanna know anything about pharma lit, toss me a PM, kid.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:12 am

Necro, to ask a related question.

Finnegan v. Wilmer? Both DC.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Necro, to ask a related question.

IMO go to Wilmer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:18 am

gk101 wrote:

IMO go to Wilmer
Reasoning? Thats the gut reaction, looking for more concrete than prestige.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
gk101 wrote:

IMO go to Wilmer
Reasoning? Thats the gut reaction, looking for more concrete than prestige.
send me a PM

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”