Advice on difficult 1L SA offer situation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Advice on difficult 1L SA offer situation

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:18 pm

I received an offer from my 1L SA position to come back and split with them 2L summer. Of course I was relieved at the offer, but they only gave me 2 weeks to decide. This timing is difficult for me because I have to give them an answer before OCI season. I have 20+ OCI screening interviews scheduled. I also have a call back from one of the OCI's that I already did.

What should I do in this situation? I want to ask for an extension of time, but I feel like the attorneys are pressuring me to accept before OCI season. Furthermore, it's a pure transactional firm, and I want to do litigation. However, in this economy, I understand I cannot be picky.

The only risk I see in not accepting the offer by their deadline is me striking out at OCI and not having a job at all. At the same time, I cannot make an informed decision before all (or most) of my options are on the table.

Please let me know how to make the best of this situation!

Stats: T25, top 10%, secondary journal.

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Advice on difficult 1L SA offer situation

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:34 pm

I thought they had to give you 28 days or something like that to accept.

User avatar
smokyroom26
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:56 am

Re: Advice on difficult 1L SA offer situation

Postby smokyroom26 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:38 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:I thought they had to give you 28 days or something like that to accept.


They might not be a NALP-member firm.

I would go ahead and ask for an extension. Although they already know, tell them you are beginning the OCI process and want to be able to fully evaluate all of your options so you can make an informed decision or something like that. I'd also give your CSO a call if the firm is in the same market as your school - ask if previous students have been in the same position with that firm, etc.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Advice on difficult 1L SA offer situation

Postby Unitas » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received an offer from my 1L SA position to come back and split with them 2L summer. Of course I was relieved at the offer, but they only gave me 2 weeks to decide. This timing is difficult for me because I have to give them an answer before OCI season. I have 20+ OCI screening interviews scheduled. I also have a call back from one of the OCI's that I already did.

What should I do in this situation? I want to ask for an extension of time, but I feel like the attorneys are pressuring me to accept before OCI season. Furthermore, it's a pure transactional firm, and I want to do litigation. However, in this economy, I understand I cannot be picky.

The only risk I see in not accepting the offer by their deadline is me striking out at OCI and not having a job at all. At the same time, I cannot make an informed decision before all (or most) of my options are on the table.

Please let me know how to make the best of this situation!

Stats: T25, top 10%, secondary journal.


Did they say the split must be 6 weeks or something? Otherwise accept and if you get a better firm offer do two weeks at this firm after doing your other 10 week SA. Would that work?

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Advice on difficult 1L SA offer situation

Postby blurbz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:43 pm

The above is what I was about to suggest. I know that a two week "victory lap" at the 1L firm is pretty common. Check to see if that's what they mean.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Advice on difficult 1L SA offer situation

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:39 pm

OP here: They're a NALP firm, and the summer has to be a minimum of 6 weeks.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Advice on difficult 1L SA offer situation

Postby blurbz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:04 am

Well the six weeks makes it harder, but the NALP guidelines say you should have 28 days to accept their offer. I'd call the recruiter and tell them you're excited about it but need to see if another firm will split the summer for you before you can commit so you plan on utilizing the 28 day window.

nymario
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Advice on difficult 1L SA offer situation

Postby nymario » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:09 am

28 days does NOT apply in this situation -- 28 days applies to candidates NOT previously employed. OP's firm is not following NALP guidelines by giving him/her only 2 weeks.

From http://www.nalp.org/fulltextofnalpprinc ... _Standards
V. C(3)
Employers offering positions for the following summer to candidates previously employed by them should leave those offers open until at least November 1. Candidates should reaffirm these offers within thirty days from the date of the offer letter. Employers may retract any offer that is not reaffirmed within the 30 day period.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Advice on difficult 1L SA offer situation

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:16 am

nymario wrote:28 days does NOT apply in this situation -- 28 days applies to candidates NOT previously employed. OP's firm is not following NALP guidelines by giving him/her only 2 weeks.

From http://www.nalp.org/fulltextofnalpprinc ... _Standards
V. C(3)
Employers offering positions for the following summer to candidates previously employed by them should leave those offers open until at least November 1. Candidates should reaffirm these offers within thirty days from the date of the offer letter. Employers may retract any offer that is not reaffirmed within the 30 day period.

I think that means offers for permanent employment. Regardless, OP, you should ask your firm either for an extension, or if you can do a 4-week summer (which tends to be the most common time amount for a second summer at a firm). That would allow you to do a 10-week full summer at another firm, and 4 weeks at this firm.

nymario
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Advice on difficult 1L SA offer situation

Postby nymario » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:47 am

Sup Kid wrote:
nymario wrote:Employers offering positions for the following summer to candidates previously employed by them should leave those offers open until at least November 1. Candidates should reaffirm these offers within thirty days from the date of the offer letter. Employers may retract any offer that is not reaffirmed within the 30 day period.

I think that means offers for permanent employment.


Try again; I switched the bolding around to compensate for your complete lack of reading comprehension.

barry
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Advice on difficult 1L SA offer situation

Postby barry » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:53 am

is the firm a V100? does it pay market? if so I would probably take it and run there were stories of ND's LR kids striking out last year

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Advice on difficult 1L SA offer situation

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:58 am

OP here: It's not a market paying firm, nor is it V100. However, that doesn't concern me since the firm pays close to market, and rankings don't matter to me.

It's a job, but I hesitate to accept it so soon because I'm concerned I don't 'fit' with the firm, it doesn't have my practice interest (litigation), and they don't have such a good offer rate for 2Ls.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Advice on difficult 1L SA offer situation

Postby Unitas » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: It's not a market paying firm, nor is it V100. However, that doesn't concern me since the firm pays close to market, and rankings don't matter to me.

It's a job, but I hesitate to accept it so soon because I'm concerned I don't 'fit' with the firm, it doesn't have my practice interest (litigation), and they don't have such a good offer rate for 2Ls.


The options as I see them:
1. Accept, if something better comes along rescind the acceptance. Are there any potential consequences for doing so? Probably not. They are breaking the rules requiring you to accept now, telling on them or pointing out the rules may make the situation awkward, so accepting then breaking if necessary seems ok.

2. Call them and tell them you hope to accept but want to make sure any other firm you choose to work with allows splitting like they want. Explain that you really liked the practice/firm but also want to see some litigation to get the experience and make sure transactional is for you. If they could take a conditional acceptance on getting another firm that will allow a split. Only do this if you are willing to split.

3. Accept and drop OCI since you seem happy at this firm.

4. Tell them NALP requires them to keep the offer open until Nov. Play lawyer on them. *I think this is the riskiest option since the firm will think you are being "difficult."

Career services may have some advice for you, but beware and make sure they are going to treat anything you say as confidential otherwise they may try and call the firm for you making situation 4 even more awkward.

Also, the offer rate is probably greater for those that work there for two summers (this is based on my assumption and may be incorrect if they do not have the work for you-you didn't mention if the firm is busy or slow). After two summers you will likely be able to get running after graduation a lot quicker and have much less of a negative impact on the firms earnings. Meaning most associates are a drain for period, whereas you with 16 weeks of experience at the firm will likely already be past the drain stage.

Good luck.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.