Do NYC firms do more than one round of Callbacks?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do NYC firms do more than one round of Callbacks?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:01 pm

They've all made calls to some people at my school. But I haven't heard shit other than 2 rejection letters. Am I shit out of luck in NYC? Or do some firms make more callbacks later?

Anonymous User

Re: Do NYC firms do more than one round of Callbacks?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:03 pm

I'm not sure, but it seems like the only people with cb's at my T10 are top quarter I have to imagine some of less selective firms will be moving down to lower gpas eventually, especially since most SA classes are bigger this year
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badfish

Postby badfish » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They've all made calls to some people at my school. But I haven't heard shit other than 2 rejection letters. Am I shit out of luck in NYC? Or do some firms make more callbacks later?

Depends on the firm and the interviewer. Some firms do more than one round of callbacks, some interviewers get their callback lists in later than others from the same firm.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not sure, but it seems like the only people with cb's at my T10 are top quarter I have to imagine some of less selective firms will be moving down to lower gpas eventually, especially since most SA classes are bigger this year

I've seen the same thing at my school. It seems like people at 15 CBs or none.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not sure, but it seems like the only people with cb's at my T10 are top quarter I have to imagine some of less selective firms will be moving down to lower gpas eventually, especially since most SA classes are bigger this year

I've seen the same thing at my school. It seems like people at 15 CBs or none.

Exactly. This is the only thing giving me some hope, since it seems like the firms are calling back the surefire candidates quickly, but are holding onto a number of others so that they can discuss/consider the candidate, and perhaps make a call next week.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:16 pm

They may make a second round of callbacks eventually, but you are kidding yourself if you think "most SA classes are bigger this year". Most firms have realized that they no longer need 100+ new associates every year, especially with the still shaky economy, and since they all want to give 100% offer rates, the summer classes have been shrunk to compensate. From everything I've heard at my V30, and from friends at other biglaw firms, most anticipate having similar class sizes to what they've had the past two years.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Sup Kid wrote:

They may make a second round of callbacks eventually, but you are kidding yourself if you think "most SA classes are bigger this year". Most firms have realized that they no longer need 100+ new associates every year, especially with the still shaky economy, and since they all want to give 100% offer rates, the summer classes have been shrunk to compensate. From everything I've heard at my V30, and from friends at other biglaw firms, most anticipate having similar class sizes to what they've had the past two years.

Yea, I think this year will be about the same as last.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:

I'm just going off NALP predictions, it seems like especially the top firms are taking more SA's this year compared to last (i'm not saying tons more but just some more) which can help lower ranked students if there are more spots for top students at the best firms

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:26 pm

NALP estimations were for summer 2011. Not next summer.

oops accidential annon, it's DF.

Return to “Legal Employment”