Fordham 3L taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MayomiSanchez

Fordham 3L taking questions

Postby MayomiSanchez » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:37 pm

Hi all,

Since I just signed up as an advisor I figured I would start giving back to the community by taking questions on OCI, Working, or Law School at Fordham.

I summered at a V20 after a long and stressful OCI process last fall.

Ask away.

Anonymous User

Re: Fordham 3L taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Fordham-3L wrote:Hi all,

Since I just signed up as an advisor I figured I would start giving back to the community by taking questions on OCI, Working, or Law School at Fordham.

Ask away.

I'm at Fordham, going through 2L oci hell. You say you're an advisor- what is this program? Now that I have 3 days of Oci under my belt with 3 more to go, I'd love to sit down for a couple of minutes with someone who was successful last year and talk about what I might be doing wrong. Are you an advisor in a program through the CPC?

Thanks!

MayomiSanchez

Postby MayomiSanchez » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fordham-3L wrote:Hi all,

Ask away.

I'm at Fordham, going through 2L oci hell. You say you're an advisor- what is this program? Now that I have 3 days of Oci under my belt with 3 more to go, I'd love to sit down for a couple of minutes with someone who was successful last year and talk about what I might be doing wrong. Are you an advisor in a program through the CPC?

Thanks!

I am an advisor with the SBA for incoming 1L students so this is not exactly my job but it just put me into the helping mood. I am going to be around Fordham tomorrow from 4:45 to 7 for new student orientation and I would be happy to chat with you sometime around then if you like.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:33 pm

How is NY hiring looking? Forecast of 2012 OCI?

ETA: I'm actually a GW student but we're at peer schools and NYC is my target market. What were your grades/OCI experience?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Have you received your offer from the summer?

MayomiSanchez

Postby MayomiSanchez » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:44 am

Naked Dude wrote:How is NY hiring looking? Forecast of 2012 OCI?

ETA: I'm actually a GW student but we're at peer schools and NYC is my target market. What were your grades/OCI experience?

I was 10% first year which made the process much easier for sure. While I obviously can't speak to the New York market as a whole, I can say that from everything I have heard the hiring is getting better than in the recent few years past.

MayomiSanchez

Postby MayomiSanchez » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:45 am

MrAnon wrote:Have you received your offer from the summer?

Yes, during the exit interview

kx121

Postby kx121 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:17 am

how hard is Fordham's part time program? Is it true that job prospects for them are not that good?

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Fordham-3L wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:How is NY hiring looking? Forecast of 2012 OCI?

I was 10% first year which made the process much easier for sure. While I obviously can't speak to the New York market as a whole, I can say that from everything I have heard the hiring is getting better than in the recent few years past.

Thanks a lot, and congrats on your success.

MayomiSanchez

Postby MayomiSanchez » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:46 pm

kx121 wrote:how hard is Fordham's part time program? Is it true that job prospects for them are not that good?

The evening program is a great one but I think they are currently scaling it back to make it mainly for students that work. I think that job prospects from the evening program are similar to the job prospects for the rest of Fordham but Career Services I'm sure has better data than I do on that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:13 pm

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A few questions:

(1) why would anyone go to Fordham?

(2) why would anyone want advice from someone that went to Fordham? Granted, you are obviously the top of your class, but is it really that tough to be the smartest kid in a special ed class?

And lastly, congrats on your V20 - that is a great accomplishment.

You're right, Fordham is a terrible school. That's why it has one of the best track records at placing students at top firms in NY...ahead of other T14 schools.

What is the point of your post though? Upset that a bunch of us get better jobs than you?

MayomiSanchez

Postby MayomiSanchez » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:21 pm

DrGuano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A few questions:

(1) why would anyone go to Fordham?

(2) why would anyone want advice from someone that went to Fordham? Granted, you are obviously the top of your class, but is it really that tough to be the smartest kid in a special ed class?

And lastly, congrats on your V20 - that is a great accomplishment.

You're right, Fordham is a terrible school. That's why it has one of the best track records at placing students at top firms in NY...ahead of other T14 schools.

What is the point of your post though? Upset that a bunch of us get better jobs than you?

I just saw this post, LOL. I actually think Fordham students are a great combination of intelligent, hard-working and still fun to be around. I went to an Ivy League undergrad and I much prefer the Fordham student body.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:36 pm

To OP, congrats! It's very cool and thoughtful of you to answer questions. I am also a Fordham 3L, and I summered at a large nonprofit, made possible via a grant. I've been very happy here and can also speak to the general coolness of the student body. Gunners obviously exist, but people tend to maintain their outside interests to a much larger extent than I had feared. I've had time to make jewelry, write, and volunteer.

MayomiSanchez

Postby MayomiSanchez » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:40 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:To OP, congrats! It's very cool and thoughtful of you to answer questions. I am also a Fordham 3L, and I summered at a large nonprofit, made possible via a grant. I've been very happy here and can also speak to the general coolness of the student body. Gunners obviously exist, but people tend to maintain their outside interests to a much larger extent than I had feared. I've had time to make jewelry, write, and volunteer.

I think I may know who you are just based on that, which is not very fair :)

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:55 pm

Fordham-3L wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:To OP, congrats! It's very cool and thoughtful of you to answer questions. I am also a Fordham 3L, and I summered at a large nonprofit, made possible via a grant. I've been very happy here and can also speak to the general coolness of the student body. Gunners obviously exist, but people tend to maintain their outside interests to a much larger extent than I had feared. I've had time to make jewelry, write, and volunteer.

I think I may know who you are just based on that, which is not very fair :)

:D To be fair, I was never the best at being all mysterious and secretive. I won't try to speculate, but pleased to hear we know one another and you had such a great summer!

Return to “Legal Employment”