Is my a friend a douche for doing OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: Is my a friend a douche for doing OCI?

Postby bjsesq » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:07 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
bjsesq wrote:I never paid enough attention to you (other than trying to get into you pants) to listen to your talk about big law being evil. But if you are looking at working for an evil firm, I can definitely understand kids who came in to school looking to go corporate being irritated. I think anything more than irritation is fucking stupid, though. It's your goddamn life.

I just don't see why everyone else cares so damn much about other people's life choices. If I realized that this is something that I should maybe do for a couple of years so that eventually I can do what I really want to, how is that any of your fucking business? And why do other people even give a shit?

Arg. I'm just annoyed with everyone lately.

Answer: OCI stress. I've lashed out at people I care about lately because of it. I think (hope) it will pass.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:09 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
bjsesq wrote:I never paid enough attention to you (other than trying to get into you pants) to listen to your talk about big law being evil. But if you are looking at working for an evil firm, I can definitely understand kids who came in to school looking to go corporate being irritated. I think anything more than irritation is fucking stupid, though. It's your goddamn life.

I just don't see why everyone else cares so damn much about other people's life choices. If I realized that this is something that I should maybe do for a couple of years so that eventually I can do what I really want to, how is that any of your fucking business? And why do other people even give a shit?

Don't you see? When you mentioned that you had plans other than biglaw, that immediately took you out of the running and landed me with entitlement to your spot there. You can't just take that back! I'm entitled to your spot!

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:22 pm

I only have a problem with people who do OCI for "the interviewing experience." That is bullshit (unless you are just doing open sign ups for interviews in Louisville or something).

Or holier than thou types. And neither BJS nor HGL were that type.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:28 pm

+ 1 on disliking the save the world type people who do OCI. They feel pressured to accept an offer if they get one and then go down the slippery slope to biglaw. Then they are miserable when they get there and make everyone else miserable with their misery. Its like a member of PETA going to work for Fresh Farms.

Disclaimer - I don't know anyone who is actually doing this, but it WOULD piss me off.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

I love this life-in-vacuum logic. When people who don't want biglaw, who have shit talked biglaw for a year, interview at OCI and take cbs, it affects everyone. As for doing biglaw for the "experience," that's illogical. You get far more working experience in the public sector, or at a small law firm. Your first years at biglaw are all about doc review and other drudge work.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When people who don't want biglaw, who have shit talked biglaw for a year, interview at OCI and take cbs, it affects everyone.

But she wants big law now and has the ability to pursue it. This isn't an on point criticism.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

I love this life-in-vacuum logic. When people who don't want biglaw, who have shit talked biglaw for a year, interview at OCI and take cbs, it affects everyone. As for doing biglaw for the "experience," that's illogical. You get far more working experience in the public sector, or at a small law firm. Your first years at biglaw are all about doc review and other drudge work.

You have no idea what you are talking about, and hiding behind anonymous posting is just absurd. If you want to be a jackass, at least do so on your real account. Also, what bjs said.

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:39 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

You have no idea what you are talking about, and hiding behind anonymous posting is just absurd. If you want to be a jackass, at least do so on your real account. Also, what bjs said.

Didn't mean to post anonymously. I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

(I don't personally know any of the posters on this thread so I'm not specifically referring to anybody on TLS)

I think the people who talk shit about biglaw during 1L don't realize just how holier-than-thou they came across. At my school, it seems like those students turn into the biggest gunners during OCI. I'm not afraid of the additional competition. I also don't particurily care about anybody's personal life choices. I just wonder about the sincerity of all the biglaw trash talk from the previous year.

Also, I have a great deal of respect for the true believers who are 100% committed to PI work. It seems to me the students who previously did things like social work or some legit PI work pre-LS are the ones who stay committed to that path during LS.

I would advise every other 0L out there to come to LS under the assumption that he/she will want biglaw.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:43 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:Didn't mean to post anonymously. I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Because you know me and my career goals? Fuck off.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I would advise every other 0L out there to come to LS under the assumption that he/she will want biglaw.

This is good advice. Very few of the PI people who start, end up there in the end.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Silly for disliking people who do this unless they are 100% committed to PI. However, a lot of these PI people (like me) for example are say 80% committed to Pub. Serv./Gov/Non-firm work. Because there's only a very small chance that we actually want a firm should we forgo the OCI process entirely? That's ridiculous. Take a look at it from the other side.

We pay the same tuition dollars there is no "Non-OCI track tuition law school" and frankly, a lot of that goes towards making sure your students are put in front of firms at OCI. It's a dog eat dog world out there. People are always going to be less interested and passionate about something but be applying for the same positions nonetheless.

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:47 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:Didn't mean to post anonymously. I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Lol. What does knowing you or you career goals have to do with it? I think you're a little confused.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:51 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Lol. What does knowing you or you career goals have to do with it? I think you're a little confused.

I'm not. I still think your criticism wasn't on point. If you were saying it generally, then fine.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:53 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

And I think you're a douchebag who has no idea what he's talking about. Soooo...

Anyway, even for someone who knows they want to end up in government/PI, working biglaw for a few years first can make a lot of sense. For example, the SEC does not generally hire new grads, but loves people who have done securities work at a big firm for a few years first. This goes for a lot of other positions, as well. Doing OCI or working biglaw does not mean that a person is necessarily not committed to something; it might simply mean that they have realized the best path to where they want to be involves a big firm.

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:54 pm

bjsesq wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

I'm not. I still think your criticism wasn't on point. If you were saying it generally, then fine.

I was referencing the many comments made on this thread claiming that biglaw would provide good experience for other career aspirations. Some boutique law firms want big law experience, but really the place to hit the ground running is a DAs office or something.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:56 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:I was referencing the many comments made on this thread claiming that biglaw would provide good experience for other career aspirations. Some boutique law firms want big law experience, but really the place to hit the ground running is a DAs office or something.

If you want to go USAO, big law is a great option. Pay off your debt, and get a solid resume for transfer. Anecdotally, DPW puts a solid amount of outgoing associates into the USAO.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:58 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:I was referencing the many comments made on this thread claiming that biglaw would provide good experience for other career aspirations. Some boutique law firms want big law experience, but really the place to hit the ground running is a DAs office or something.

Not talking about the experience, bro. Talking about exit options. Those are different things entirely.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:01 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:Silly for disliking people who do this unless they are 100% committed to PI. However, a lot of these PI people (like me) for example are say 80% committed to Pub. Serv./Gov/Non-firm work. Because there's only a very small chance that we actually want a firm should we forgo the OCI process entirely? That's ridiculous. Take a look at it from the other side.

We pay the same tuition dollars there is no "Non-OCI track tuition law school" and frankly, a lot of that goes towards making sure your students are put in front of firms at OCI. It's a dog eat dog world out there. People are always going to be less interested and passionate about something but be applying for the same positions nonetheless.

Again, I don't know anybody on this thread and my comments are generalizations.

I get coming to LS with the hope/desire/intent/plan of pursuing PI/BigGov/Non-firm work.

I think where some people (myself included) question motives is when PI/BigGov/Non-firm students spend all of 1L extensively trashing biglaw and then show up at OCI looking for firm work.

It is the additional step of staking out the "biglaw sucks and I would never do it" position that makes me wonder if all that trash talk was sincere.

To flip this around, I have no interest in lower paying legal work (I had a decent paying pre-LS career). But I have never publicily criticized/looked down on PI/Gov/Non-firm work.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:03 pm

ITT: existential angst bubbles to surface. 8)

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:09 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

Not talking about the experience, bro. Talking about exit options. Those are different things entirely.

Bro? Lol. Yes, biglaw has great exit options. To clarify, I'm the person who wrote the post about people shit talking biglaw, and then doing OCI. My problem isn't with people who pursue biglaw planning to exit down the line. That's part of the business model. I just dislike people who act as if they had some moral objection to big private firm work, but are willing to do it as their back up plan. The end.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:10 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Bro? Lol. Yes, biglaw has great exit options. To clarify, I'm the person who wrote the post about people shit talking biglaw, and then doing OCI. My problem isn't with people who pursue biglaw planning to exit down the line. That's part of the business model. I just dislike people who act as if they had some moral objection to big private firm work, but are willing to do it as their back up plan. The end.

And I have a moral objection to a lot of the work that these firms do and yet am still pursing it. So I guess you dislike me. I am terribly upset about all of this.
Last edited by Holly Golightly on Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:12 pm

I don't give a shit when people change their minds so long as they don't spend OCI whining to everyone how life has forced their hand into choosing a firm. Really grateful no one at my school did this.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:13 pm

dresden doll wrote:I don't give a shit when people change their minds so long as they don't spend OCI whining to everyone how life has forced their hand into choosing a firm. Really grateful no one at my school did this.

I haven't heard anyone do this at all. Instead I have just heard people bitch about others doing it. Interesting how that happens...

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:14 pm

dresden doll wrote:I don't give a shit when people change their minds so long as they don't spend OCI whining to everyone how life has forced their hand into choosing a firm. Really grateful no one at my school did this.

+1million

Return to “Legal Employment”