Is my a friend a douche for doing OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
existenz

Silver

Re: Is my a friend a douche for doing OCI?

Post by existenz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:16 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:To clarify, I'm the person who wrote the post about people shit talking biglaw, and then doing OCI. My problem isn't with people who pursue biglaw planning to exit down the line. That's part of the business model. I just dislike people who act as if they had some moral objection to big private firm work, but are willing to do it as their back up plan. The end.
Guess what -- many people who actually work in biglaw talk shit about it. You need to get over it.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:19 pm

existenz wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:To clarify, I'm the person who wrote the post about people shit talking biglaw, and then doing OCI. My problem isn't with people who pursue biglaw planning to exit down the line. That's part of the business model. I just dislike people who act as if they had some moral objection to big private firm work, but are willing to do it as their back up plan. The end.
Guess what -- many people who actually work in biglaw talk shit about it. You need to get over it.
Yeah but they usually shit talk hours and the inanity of work, not how they wish life had allowed them to go around saving puppies. You can call it arbitrary, but I'd handle people being miserable over 90 hour workweeks far better than the 'zomg I sold out' bleeding heart style complaints.

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:20 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote: I was referencing the many comments made on this thread claiming that biglaw would provide good experience for other career aspirations. Some boutique law firms want big law experience, but really the place to hit the ground running is a DAs office or something.
Not talking about the experience, bro. Talking about exit options. Those are different things entirely.
Bro? Lol. Yes, biglaw has great exit options. To clarify, I'm the person who wrote the post about people shit talking biglaw, and then doing OCI. My problem isn't with people who pursue biglaw planning to exit down the line. That's part of the business model. I just dislike people who act as if they had some moral objection to big private firm work, but are willing to do it as their back up plan. The end.
And I have a moral objection to a lot of the work that these firms do and yet am still pursing it. So I guess you dislike me. I am terribly upset about all of this.
So you admittedly have a moral objection to the work done at biglaw, and you're vying for the chance to do that work? I think anyone would dislike that sort of person.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Oh my God someone is willing to do work they're not comfortable with because of the pay and exit options. Someone call the moral high-horse police.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:22 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote: So you admittedly have a moral objection to the work done at biglaw, and you're vying for the chance to do that work? I think anyone would dislike that sort of person.
Yeah, I'm clearly a friendless loner cunt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:22 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote: So you admittedly have a moral objection to the work done at biglaw, and you're vying for the chance to do that work? I think anyone would dislike that sort of person.
lulz are you 14?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Yeah, I'm clearly a friendless loner cunt.
Hey I'm your friend. 2/3 ain't bad.

PitchO20

Bronze

Post by PitchO20 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Another classic TLS shit show of a thread.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:24 pm

dresden doll wrote:Yeah but they usually shit talk hours and the inanity of work, not how they wish life had allowed them to go around saving puppies. You can call it arbitrary, but I'd handle people being miserable over 90 hour workweeks far better than the 'zomg I sold out' bleeding heart style complaints.
I have respect for people who are morally troubled by horrible biglaw behavior. When they complain, I usually agree with them.

Sadly, biglaw is one of the best ways to pay down massive law school debt, so even people who hate it tend to do it if they are smart.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:25 pm

Working long hours for a firm that whose work you morally object to sounds like an awful existence IMO
Last edited by dr123 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:25 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Oh my God someone is willing to do work they're not comfortable with because of the pay and exit options. Someone call the moral high-horse police.
I think you're misunderstanding the tenor of the argument. No one cares that someone chooses to do that kind of work despite the discomfort as long as they're not going around obnoxiously trumpeting their moral qualms to their classmates/associates/colleagues. Special minus points if they choose to do it in the middle of OCI.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:25 pm

dood wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:As an unemployed 3L who sees 3L's looking to "trade-up" at every interview I did, yes, I think your friend is a douche, at least moreso than PI-converts or people without offers yet but who will probably get them. No-offers are worse IMO.
so u think u'd be able to get those interviews if i didnt bid on them?
I go to a lottery school, so yes.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:26 pm

existenz wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Yeah but they usually shit talk hours and the inanity of work, not how they wish life had allowed them to go around saving puppies. You can call it arbitrary, but I'd handle people being miserable over 90 hour workweeks far better than the 'zomg I sold out' bleeding heart style complaints.
I have respect for people who are morally troubled by horrible biglaw behavior. When they complain, I usually agree with them.
I do too, so long as they're not the same people that got to work in biglaw after gunning for it hardcore.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:27 pm

dresden doll wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Oh my God someone is willing to do work they're not comfortable with because of the pay and exit options. Someone call the moral high-horse police.
I think you're misunderstanding the tenor of the argument. No one cares that someone chooses to do that kind of work despite the discomfort as long as they're not going around obnoxiously trumpeting their moral qualms to their classmates/associates/colleagues. Special minus points if they choose to do it in the middle of OCI.
My comment was a response to Dan's "you have a moral objection to biglaw and you're vying to do it? I think anyone would dislike that person." idiocy. I was just too lazy to quote properly.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:29 pm

dresden doll wrote:
lol, are you referencing the fact that I talk to my friends when I'm upset about things? THE HORROR!

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:34 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
My comment was a response to Dan's "you have a moral objection to biglaw and you're vying to do it? I think anyone would dislike that person." idiocy. I was just too lazy to quote properly.
Idiocy? Ha.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:35 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
lol, are you referencing the fact that I talk to my friends when I'm upset about things? THE HORROR!
Commercial leasing and asset-backed securities. And xanax. And tequila.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

royard

New

Post by royard » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:37 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote: I was referencing the many comments made on this thread claiming that biglaw would provide good experience for other career aspirations. Some boutique law firms want big law experience, but really the place to hit the ground running is a DAs office or something.
Not talking about the experience, bro. Talking about exit options. Those are different things entirely.
Bro? Lol. Yes, biglaw has great exit options. To clarify, I'm the person who wrote the post about people shit talking biglaw, and then doing OCI. My problem isn't with people who pursue biglaw planning to exit down the line. That's part of the business model. I just dislike people who act as if they had some moral objection to big private firm work, but are willing to do it as their back up plan. The end.
And I have a moral objection to a lot of the work that these firms do and yet am still pursing it. So I guess you dislike me. I am terribly upset about all of this.

I don't think anyone will have a problem with you if you keep your opinion about biglaw to yourself and do not publicly denounce their work. Life is tough, and one has to make a living, support family, whatever. If you have moral objection to biglaw but are forced to do it for whatever reason, the moral turmoil is yours to bear.

However, if someone publicly denounces biglaw and then actively seeks OCI - I would find that person very insincere. (Please note: if that person actually changed their mind about biglaw work, or at least stopped trashing biglaw firms, it will be fine with me. People change their opinion all the time, and I don't think that's problematic, as long as they don't register as "insincere.")

Edit: Also, please note that I only have issues with "public" denouncements.
Last edited by royard on Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:38 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
I wasn't at all finger pointing at you and I frankly have no idea why you feel called out.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:45 pm

It's such an absurd idea to get angry at someone who decides to interview with an employer because you disapprove of their reasons for doing it. Go get a job on your own merits and stop worrying about what other people are doing. The odds are incredibly slim that another person's decision to participate in OCI will appreciably affect your results, and if it does you probably weren't a great candidate to begin with. The only impact it would have is making it marginally harder to get an interview in a lottery bidding system, which is hugely unpredictable and arbitrary in the first place.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Emma. wrote:OP, were you mad at people that got into one law school and then didn't immediately withdraw all their apps everywhere else?
Well said.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll tell you who the real douches are. The ones who come into law school on their moral high horses, being totally anti big law and all about saving the world doing poverty law or some shit. Then you see them at OCI.
There are a lot of people who, looking at the reality of their loan obligations/financial obligations/family obligations/other obligations, realize they cannot afford to do "poverty law" (whatever that even is) right now.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:08 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:It's such an absurd idea to get angry at someone who decides to interview with an employer because you disapprove of their reasons for doing it. Go get a job on your own merits and stop worrying about what other people are doing.
This is one of the only posts that makes sense.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:27 pm

stop worrying about what other people are doing.
I don't worry about it at all unless they talk about it constantly. If they prattle on about their "higher purpose" and then gun for private equity in NYC i am going to judge.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”