Is my a friend a douche for doing OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is my a friend a douche for doing OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:25 pm

I go to a T-14 school and I've noticed some of my friends who already have offers doing OCI anyway. Is it douchey, especially if they are seriously considering the offers they already have?

Anonymous User

Re: Is my a friend a douche for doing OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:26 pm

No.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:28 pm

I'll tell you who the real douches are. The ones who come into law school on their moral high horses, being totally anti big law and all about saving the world doing poverty law or some shit. Then you see them at OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to a T-14 school and I've noticed some of my friends who already have offers doing OCI anyway. Is it douchey, especially if they are seriously considering the offers they already have?
Are you talking about 3L OCI? A lot of those firms (V10) aren't looking for people without offers, just folks with offers looking to go somewhere else.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to a T-14 school and I've noticed some of my friends who already have offers doing OCI anyway. Is it douchey, especially if they are seriously considering the offers they already have?
Are you a douche for trying to get validation from Internet strangers about thinking your "friend" is a douche? It is only dickish if your offer is from your bar-none first choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:34 pm

There is no problem at all with someone who has an offer on the table doing OCI. Hell, I have an offer on the table and I'm doing OCI. Like your friend, I want to consider all options available to me before I commit to an offer. What would bug me is seeing someone who is entirely public interest focused taking up interview slots at OCI just to get some practice with no intention of working in a firm. That bumps out people who would genuinely be interested in the firms. This is entirely different from someone who has an offer, but is genuinely interested in seeking other opportunities with other firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Are you talking about 3L OCI? A lot of those firms (V10) aren't looking for people without offers, just folks with offers looking to go somewhere else.
OP here. I was referring to rising 2Ls with firm offers from this past summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll tell you who the real douches are. The ones who come into law school on their moral high horses, being totally anti big law and all about saving the world doing poverty law or some shit. Then you see them at OCI.
That does seem worse.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll tell you who the real douches are. The ones who come into law school on their moral high horses, being totally anti big law and all about saving the world doing poverty law or some shit. Then you see them at OCI.
That does seem worse.
Yeah, it really makes you a terrible person to want to do one thing, realize that your best shot at doing it is to work at a firm for a while, and do OCI. All of those people should probably die.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That does seem worse.
Yeah, it really makes you a terrible person to want to do one thing, realize that your best shot at doing it is to work at a firm for a while, and do OCI. All of those people should probably die.
For the record, this is me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That does seem worse.
For the record, this is me.
True, because poverty law is definitely a field that you need big law experience to break into.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:True, because poverty law is definitely a field that you need big law experience to break into.
The USAO you do though.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:57 pm

I'd say stop worrying about what other people are doing...just saying!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:00 pm

a) Never said poverty law, brah.

b) Nice use of the anonymous feature, I'm sure you're not an insufferable douche at all.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:28 pm

U MAD BRO?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:30 pm

OP, if your friend doesn't take his original offer and gets a job through OCI, his original firm will have to fill that position with someone--maybe you. It's not like your friend is hogging more than his fair share of actual jobs in the end.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:33 pm

As an unemployed 3L who sees 3L's looking to "trade-up" at every interview I did, yes, I think your friend is a douche, at least moreso than PI-converts or people without offers yet but who will probably get them. No-offers are worse IMO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:34 pm

OP, were you mad at people that got into one law school and then didn't immediately withdraw all their apps everywhere else?

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Neither the PI person nor the offer person is a douche for doing OCI. Both are keeping all of their options open, as they should.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:37 pm

badfish wrote:Neither the PI person nor the offer person is a douche for doing OCI. Both are keeping all of their options open, as they should.
Naw, man. See, they changed their minds after gaining some experience. I mean, you have to be a douche to change your mind.

FTR: if they talked shit on big law as being evil, I get the hate. But if they just thought they wouldn't be happy there, wtf is the problem? Srsly.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:39 pm

timbs4339 wrote:As an unemployed 3L who sees 3L's looking to "trade-up" at every interview I did, yes, I think your friend is a douche, at least moreso than PI-converts or people without offers yet but who will probably get them. No-offers are worse IMO.
so u think u'd be able to get those interviews if i didnt bid on them?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:44 pm

dood wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:As an unemployed 3L who sees 3L's looking to "trade-up" at every interview I did, yes, I think your friend is a douche, at least moreso than PI-converts or people without offers yet but who will probably get them. No-offers are worse IMO.
so u think u'd be able to get those interviews if i didnt bid on them?
Well you can't deny that it would help his chances.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:57 pm

bjsesq wrote:
badfish wrote:Neither the PI person nor the offer person is a douche for doing OCI. Both are keeping all of their options open, as they should.
Naw, man. See, they changed their minds after gaining some experience. I mean, you have to be a douche to change your mind.

FTR: if they talked shit on big law as being evil, I get the hate. But if they just thought they wouldn't be happy there, wtf is the problem? Srsly.
Guess you hate me, then.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:00 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Guess you hate me, then.
I never paid enough attention to you (other than trying to get into you pants) to listen to your talk about big law being evil. But if you are looking at working for an evil firm, I can definitely understand kids who came in to school looking to go corporate being irritated. I think anything more than irritation is fucking stupid, though. It's your goddamn life.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:05 pm

bjsesq wrote: I never paid enough attention to you (other than trying to get into you pants) to listen to your talk about big law being evil. But if you are looking at working for an evil firm, I can definitely understand kids who came in to school looking to go corporate being irritated. I think anything more than irritation is fucking stupid, though. It's your goddamn life.
I just don't see why everyone else cares so damn much about other people's life choices. If I realized that this is something that I should maybe do for a couple of years so that eventually I can do what I really want to, how is that any of your fucking business? And why do other people even give a shit?

Arg. I'm just annoyed with everyone lately.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”