When should I give up on getting a callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Transfer from a lower T14 to a much higher ranking T14, now I am half-way through the OCI and received no CB from any NY office I interviewed with (the worse part is, 80% of my interviews are for NY offices). Interviews were done on Wed and Thu, and I hear that almost all the NY offices I interviewed with have made CBs to other students. Although no ding has been received, I begin to worry a lot. I can't helping thinking that all my interviews with NY offices are screwed and I just won't get a job. I don't know what to do now.

ResIpsa21
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:46 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby ResIpsa21 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:54 pm

You must have had a very strong GPA to transfer up like that; unless you know that you are extremely bad in interviews, I don't think it's time to worry yet. Interviewing on Wednesday and Thursday is very recent; you just never know how long it's going to take for callbacks to come out. OCI is very stressful but try to stay optimistic . . . at least until Tuesday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:05 pm

I was in a similar position to you last year, transferred to the same school in fact. My problem, which I might be the same is yours, was poor interviewing. I would do two things, first start mass mailing firms you did not get interviews with/go to hospitality suites next week to do resume drops requesting interviews. Second is have a friend or career services do a mock interview with you. I assure you it can be taught, I am now a 3L and have already scored one CB, even though the market is very tough for 3ls. I think the change from last year is due to my totally rethinking my interviewing.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby rayiner » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:15 pm

You're getting dinged for being douchey enough to transfer from Duke to Penn.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was in a similar position to you last year, transferred to the same school in fact. My problem, which I might be the same is yours, was poor interviewing. I would do two things, first start mass mailing firms you did not get interviews with/go to hospitality suites next week to do resume drops requesting interviews. Second is have a friend or career services do a mock interview with you. I assure you it can be taught, I am now a 3L and have already scored one CB, even though the market is very tough for 3ls. I think the change from last year is due to my totally rethinking my interviewing.


I went through mock interviews in my old law school, the advisers said that I was fine, at least not bad. I want to schedule a mock interview in the current law school, the thing is that, I do not have time! OCI will continue next Monday and Tuesday, where can I find time to do a mock interview? And what buggs me the most is that, I got one CB from a biglaw's DC office!! I have no tie whatsoever to DC, and I only interviewed with three DC offices, but I got one CB. On the other hand I do have a strong connnection to NYC and interviewed with ten NYC offices, so what is wrong with the NYC interviews I went through!!?? Just becasue a large number of the students in my current law school are willing to stay in NYC so a transfer is not preferred?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:22 pm

rayiner wrote:You're getting dinged for being douchey enough to transfer from Duke to Penn.


Not from uke and not to Penn

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby rayiner » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:You're getting dinged for being douchey enough to transfer from Duke to Penn.


Not from uke and not to Penn


If transferring within T4-14, still dinged for douchiness.

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Z3RO » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:24 pm

Next guess is Cornell to Columbia.

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby oneforship » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:25 pm

when you get a rejection letter.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby rayiner » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:26 pm

Z3RO wrote:Next guess is Cornell to Columbia.


Same-market transfers are the douchiest.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:27 pm

I've gotten pwnd in New York myself. And I'm top 25% at a T14. I did half nyc half other, all my CBs from not NYC, including a V10 CB. Any chance NYC isn't as good as we thought or am I just TTT.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:27 pm

ResIpsa21 wrote:You must have had a very strong GPA to transfer up like that; unless you know that you are extremely bad in interviews, I don't think it's time to worry yet. Interviewing on Wednesday and Thursday is very recent; you just never know how long it's going to take for callbacks to come out. OCI is very stressful but try to stay optimistic . . . at least until Tuesday.


Thanks. The thing is, NYC offices are really very quick in making CBs. The NYC offices I interviewed with began to make CBs on spot or the next day, but I get nothing. I think if they begin to make CBs, they will give out all or most of them. Sigh. I don't think I screwed up, I feel pretty good for some interviews, but the phone just does not ring. Anyone know any NYC offive that is making CBs gradually rather than throwing them out altogether?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:29 pm

Z3RO wrote:Next guess is Cornell to Columbia.


Wrong~~ And I am not transfering within the same market.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:31 pm

In absolutely the same spot. Was told I'm a great interviewer (practice interview feedback was all positive, and the woman who did it told me I would likely have a bunch of CB's given my personable style and relatively strong credentials). 1 CB out of 15 interviews, with a whopping ZERO CB's from NYC firms. I believe I am at the same school at OP. No clue what is going on seeing as a number of interviews went very well (just as well as interviews I did on the side which led to lots of positive results/feedback)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:31 pm

rayiner wrote:
Z3RO wrote:Next guess is Cornell to Columbia.


Same-market transfers are the douchiest.



Who will transfer from Cornell to Columbia?? I transfer mostly becasue I want to work in NYC.

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Z3RO » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:32 pm

I was joking, because it would be so hilariously douchey to do that. I didn't mean to come off as a douchebag myself.

These OCI threads make me nervous/depressed as hell.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby rayiner » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Z3RO wrote:Next guess is Cornell to Columbia.


Same-market transfers are the douchiest.



Who will transfer from Cornell to Columbia?? I transfer mostly becasue I want to work in NYC.


All the big NYC firms interview throughout the T14. Berkeley -> NYC transfer for NYC is only credited one.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:35 pm

I wish I had transfered to Harvard.

crazyblink653
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby crazyblink653 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was in a similar position to you last year, transferred to the same school in fact. My problem, which I might be the same is yours, was poor interviewing. I would do two things, first start mass mailing firms you did not get interviews with/go to hospitality suites next week to do resume drops requesting interviews. Second is have a friend or career services do a mock interview with you. I assure you it can be taught, I am now a 3L and have already scored one CB, even though the market is very tough for 3ls. I think the change from last year is due to my totally rethinking my interviewing.


care to share what you changed about your interview style that you think has benefited you? You can PM if you don't want to share specifics ITT.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:38 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Z3RO wrote:Next guess is Cornell to Columbia.


Same-market transfers are the douchiest.



Who will transfer from Cornell to Columbia?? I transfer mostly becasue I want to work in NYC.


All the big NYC firms interview throughout the T14. Berkeley -> NYC transfer for NYC is only credited one.



Please stop talking about this OK? I only want to figure out what went wrong and want some advice from others who have been in the similar position. Thanks

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:39 pm

crazyblink653 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was in a similar position to you last year, transferred to the same school in fact. My problem, which I might be the same is yours, was poor interviewing. I would do two things, first start mass mailing firms you did not get interviews with/go to hospitality suites next week to do resume drops requesting interviews. Second is have a friend or career services do a mock interview with you. I assure you it can be taught, I am now a 3L and have already scored one CB, even though the market is very tough for 3ls. I think the change from last year is due to my totally rethinking my interviewing.


care to share what you changed about your interview style that you think has benefited you? You can PM if you don't want to share specifics ITT.


+1

Advice needed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:40 pm

As I said OP, I'm in the exact same position (and at the same school), so I'm "glad" to know I'm not the only one. Did you overbid? I get the feeling that many firms aren't taking me seriously, even though they do some form of recruiting at my old school. I'm very confused since I have been rocking it outside of OCI in the interviews I set up on the side, and I'm carrying over all the best anecdotes, questions, energy, etc. from those great interviews into OCI. And I came out of a number of OCI interviews saying "wow, I rocked that one" only to have complete silence while the firm makes calls to others. If this is how it goes, then I should have stayed at my old school. So I definitely understand your confusion right now.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby rayiner » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:Same-market transfers are the douchiest.



Who will transfer from Cornell to Columbia?? I transfer mostly becasue I want to work in NYC.


All the big NYC firms interview throughout the T14. Berkeley -> NYC transfer for NYC is only credited one.



Please stop talking about this OK? I only want to figure out what went wrong and want some advice from others who have been in the similar position. Thanks


Your personality probably came through in the screeners. HTH.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As I said OP, I'm in the exact same position (and at the same school), so I'm "glad" to know I'm not the only one. Did you overbid? I get the feeling that many firms aren't taking me seriously, even though they do some form of recruiting at my old school. I'm very confused since I have been rocking it outside of OCI in the interviews I set up on the side, and I'm carrying over all the best anecdotes, questions, energy, etc. from those great interviews into OCI. And I came out of a number of OCI interviews saying "wow, I rocked that one" only to have complete silence while the firm makes calls to others. If this is how it goes, then I should have stayed at my old school. So I definitely understand your confusion right now.


Yes we are in the same boat now. At least three to four interviews I have with biglaw's NY offices were great (I think it is unlikely that I misread the interviewers all day long, otherwise how did I get the DC CB?), however the complete slience just slaps my face. I talked to the OCS advisers, all I got was "it takes time, the CBs will come up within one to two weeks." I just don't believe these words!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: When should I give up on getting a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:47 pm

I honestly think NYC might be making two rounds of CBs this year. The only people I know rocking it in NYC have amazing grades.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.