DPW offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DPW offers

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:08 pm

irie wrote: for CLS nearly half of those who screen with them get a callback
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm at Chicago. I don't know what the numbers are here, but it seems to me (from the conversations I've had with people) that the number is much, much lower than that for us.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:12 pm

Got an offer from DPW today. MVP, top 1/4th, not URM, some WE after college.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer from DPW today. MVP, top 1/4th, not URM, some WE after college.

What day did you interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm at Chicago. I don't know what the numbers are here, but it seems to me (from the conversations I've had with people) that the number is much, much lower than that for us.
Interesting. I guess they have a different hiring strategy for CLS/NYU than for other schools. Wonder if the same extends to other NYC schools. Hard to know as Fordham is mostly preselect and every other NYC school is all preselect, and that changes the dynamics a lot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What time? Which school (if you don't mind)?
No, I don't mind. NYU, some time between 2 and 4 (not sure, I was in class).
And you interviewed on the 31st?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What time? Which school (if you don't mind)?
No, I don't mind. NYU, some time between 2 and 4 (not sure, I was in class).
And you interviewed on the 31st?
Yes. Sorry :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Interesting. I guess they have a different hiring strategy for CLS/NYU than for other schools. Wonder if the same extends to other NYC schools. Hard to know as Fordham is mostly preselect and every other NYC school is all preselect, and that changes the dynamics a lot.
Yes, it is very very different--I go to CLS and my callback literally cost them $0 (if you don't count the 2 hours of attorney time I took up). They can afford to bring in 100+ CLS students for callbacks and make a very thorough evaluation b/c of our location. Probably the same for NYU. I would assume their strategy for non-NY area schools would be the same as all other NY firms.

Frankly, I think it's genius... if I were a NYC firm I'd mimic the DPW model for CLS/NYU hires.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, it is very very different--I go to CLS and my callback literally cost them $0 (if you don't count the 2 hours of attorney time I took up).
let's not forget lunch. i ordered an outrageously expensive entree, and i wasn't even originally scheduled for a lunch during my cb.

Bramwell

New

Post by Bramwell » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DPW has ~20% offer rate for CBs at Columbia. I assume it's similar elsewhere. They bring back a ton of people and then ding most of them, so it's totally possible that only 5-6 people out of 30 in a day would get offers. And most of the people I know who got offers received them 1-2 days after their callback.
Davis Polk's offer rate for HLS students that do a callback is actually 55%. So those kids had some basis for thinking that they had a decent shot at an offer once they got the callback invite.

Not sure why there is such a large disparity between the rate for HLS and CLS students though
How large is the pool of HLS students given CBs? I believe they brought back about 110 CLS students last year for CBs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:17 pm

Bramwell wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DPW has ~20% offer rate for CBs at Columbia. I assume it's similar elsewhere. They bring back a ton of people and then ding most of them, so it's totally possible that only 5-6 people out of 30 in a day would get offers. And most of the people I know who got offers received them 1-2 days after their callback.
Davis Polk's offer rate for HLS students that do a callback is actually 55%. So those kids had some basis for thinking that they had a decent shot at an offer once they got the callback invite.

Not sure why there is such a large disparity between the rate for HLS and CLS students though
How large is the pool of HLS students given CBs? I believe they brought back about 110 CLS students last year for CBs.
115 callback invitations extended, 109 callbacks accepted at HLS last year

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bramwell wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

115 callback invitations extended, 109 callbacks accepted at HLS last year
I was taken aback until I realized that's only something like 10% of the class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:44 pm

bro, that's like 20%

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:46 pm

also note that 171 actually interviewed with DPW which means almost 70% got cb

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:38 pm

haven't written thank you's for any other firm, however, dpw was the first to give me the names of the interviewers before i left and was told "in case you wanted to contact them."

did anyone write thank you's to their interviewers? if so, were they emails or snail mail?

thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:haven't written thank you's for any other firm, however, dpw was the first to give me the names of the interviewers before i left and was told "in case you wanted to contact them."

did anyone write thank you's to their interviewers? if so, were they emails or snail mail?

thanks
I didn't write to any of the interviewers but still got an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:haven't written thank you's for any other firm, however, dpw was the first to give me the names of the interviewers before i left and was told "in case you wanted to contact them."

thanks
Same here. And for the record, I'm pretty sure committee's decision to give me an offer came within 24 hours of my CB (this assumes the decision was made on the date of the letter). So it's not like I would've had time to write a persuasive thank you before the evaluation(s) were sent in, anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

thanks
Same here. And for the record, I'm pretty sure committee's decision to give me an offer came within 24 hours of my CB (this assumes the decision was made on the date of the letter). So it's not like I would've had time to write a persuasive thank you before the evaluation(s) were sent in, anyway.
I did write a thank you--only 1-2 sentences, very short and standard to each of the 4 people I met with.

3 of them wrote back, and the 4th one called to extend me an offer two days later.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:36 pm

Anyone get a rejection letter? Haven't heard anything since my cb which was 2+ weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Haven't heard anything since my cb which was 2+ weeks ago.
As somebody who has a CB next week, this is a little terrifying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Haven't heard anything since my cb which was 2+ weeks ago.
Same here. Every other firm I interviewed with got back to me with an offer or rejection within one week. Not sure why DPW is an outlier here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Stanford 2010: 32 screening interviews, 16 CBs offered, 14 accepted, 10 offers extended, 1 accepted.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Haven't heard anything since my cb which was 2+ weeks ago.
Same here. Every other firm I interviewed with got back to me with an offer or rejection within one week. Not sure why DPW is an outlier here.
I know people who got rejections (not sure if it was email or paper), so they definitely do exist. You may be on a hold list or something

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Stanford 2010: 32 screening interviews, 16 CBs offered, 14 accepted, 10 offers extended, 1 accepted.
Thank you so much for this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Offer today, over a week after my callback. Don't give up hope people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer today, over a week after my callback. Don't give up hope people.
Congrats!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”