Associate at top 5 Michigan firm taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Associate at top 5 Michigan firm taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a UofM 2L and was recently offered a callback after a phone screener from mass mailing a top 5 Michigan firm. I am from a NYC/DC/SF/LA area (not midwest) and never lived in the midwest prior to 1L.

I was wondering if the callback is pretty much a waste of time? Based on what I've read in this thread, I'm pretty surprised I got a callback at all.

It's never a waste of time to get in front of people with hiring power, IMO. There's obviously a higher hurdle for candidates with no in-state ties, but you're obviously attractive on paper and did well in the phoner.

Plus, once you get the callback, the ties issue is a considerably lesser hurdle.

If you're sincerely interested in the firm, I don't see why you wouldn't take a shot.

OP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:33 am

SBL wrote:Whose bk groups seem to me the most involved in Detroit's chapter 9 case (of the Michigan firms)?

Not my practice group, but my impression is that all the large firms have some piece of it (as you're probably aware, Jones Day has the largest piece). I know at my place there were a lot of conflict discussions about representing multiple creditors and how to work out related issues.

OP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I noticed Clark Hill seemed to be missing from your recent discussions of top Detroit/Michigan firms. Do you have any insight on it, e.g. culture/lifestyle, stability, etc.

Clark Hill is a good firm, but has fewer quality institutional clients and a higher bar for initial partnership than most Detroit firms (there's an unofficial rule that associates have to originate a certain amount of business). They seem very focused on growth, but I'm not sure what their end game is there. Acquisition? I'm not sure.

OP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:what are the order of prestige for detroit law firms

My top 5 on the previous page would represent my general opinion.

If you're generally considering firms within that list, the fit you feel on interviews and your desired practice group should have more influence on your decision than any subjective 1-5 ranking.

OP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:22 pm

I know market for entry-level associates is around 100k for the big firms in Detroit, but is there any information out there on what the pay increases per year are and what non-equity and equity partners make?

KingsleyZissou

Postby KingsleyZissou » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:23 pm

Can anyone tell me the top firms in Michigan for someone interested in litigation?

- KZ

Return to “Legal Employment”