should I even bother to meet them again? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

should I even bother to meet them again?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:38 am

I cold-emailed a very small firm and they scheduled a meeting with me and the "interview" lasted for more than an hour. The partner told me that he would tell me in a few days what they're up to. A few days later he told me that they decided to draft an ad and placed it on several popular websites. Then they will immediately invite me up for a "chat" again and decide the matters as quickly as possible.

I think the firm and its people are quite decent and sincere. However, my gut reaction is that if they like me enough they would have hired me straight away.

In a down economy, should I even bother to meet them again for that "chat"?

Tanicius

Gold

Re: should I even bother to meet them again?

Post by Tanicius » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:40 am

I don't think they would express continued interest in you if you they weren't actually interested. It costs them no loss in the recruiting pool to cut you loose at the outset.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:I cold-emailed a very small firm and they scheduled a meeting with me and the "interview" lasted for more than an hour. The partner told me that he would tell me in a few days what they're up to. A few days later he told me that they decided to draft an ad and placed it on several popular websites. Then they will immediately invite me up for a "chat" again and decide the matters as quickly as possible.

I think the firm and its people are quite decent and sincere. However, my gut reaction is that if they like me enough they would have hired me straight away.

Just from your story, it would seem that you are clearly still in the running for the job. Cheer up.

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:51 am

Indulge them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:I cold-emailed a very small firm and they scheduled a meeting with me and the "interview" lasted for more than an hour. The partner told me that he would tell me in a few days what they're up to. A few days later he told me that they decided to draft an ad and placed it on several popular websites. Then they will immediately invite me up for a "chat" again and decide the matters as quickly as possible.

ITE is precisely why you should. Some people/firms are strange.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LoyalRebel

Bronze

Post by LoyalRebel » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:24 am

I'd say it looks like they probably want some other people in the firm to meet you before they make the final decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:06 pm

thanks - now I have some perspective.
but my gut reaction was really very negative.

especially since they need to put an ad.

However, the vibes I got were all rather positive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”