Feeling Extremely Down Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rayiner

Platinum

Re: Feeling Extremely Down

Post by rayiner » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Inter-t14 transfers are weird as fuck because there is zero benefit in doing the transfer.
And are willing to give up their friends to do so.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:38 pm

I suppose it's possible to over-estimate the prestige-whoring that goes on at big firms... but I am having a hard time imagining it.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:42 pm

rayiner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Inter-t14 transfers are weird as fuck because there is zero benefit in doing the transfer.
And are willing to give up their friends to do so.
False, they never had friends.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, don't forget transfers who are splitters and didn't get into T14's because of terrible undergrad grades -- often grades from years ago. A higher GPA would have made me competitive for the school I got into as a transfer with my LSAT. My 1L grades and work experience are WAY more indicative of the type of worker I am than grades from years ago (which basically discounts the "one year wonder" theory). I think it's ridiculous to generalize that people lack "je ne sais quoi" because they weren't motivated at 18, but could have easily changed by 28.
This was me as well. 168 LSAT (taken absolutely cold with no prep whatsoever), and 2.3 UGPA because 7 years ago when I was an undergrad I didn't give a single fuck. This put me into a TTT where the median LSAT was 155. Unsurprisingly I absolutely crushed 1L year, which required diligent work, but nothing even approaching superhuman effort. Transferred into T14 this year. So far am enjoying being around other smart people for a change. There are certainly classmates who are my intellectual superiors, but there are more that are not. Luckily I have no interest in the Biglaw slave factory, so I don't have to deal with being judged by screening interviewers who often wouldn't have made the cut themselves pre-ITE.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also, don't forget transfers who are splitters and didn't get into T14's because of terrible undergrad grades -- often grades from years ago. A higher GPA would have made me competitive for the school I got into as a transfer with my LSAT. My 1L grades and work experience are WAY more indicative of the type of worker I am than grades from years ago (which basically discounts the "one year wonder" theory). I think it's ridiculous to generalize that people lack "je ne sais quoi" because they weren't motivated at 18, but could have easily changed by 28.
This was me as well. 168 LSAT (taken absolutely cold with no prep whatsoever), and 2.3 UGPA because 7 years ago when I was an undergrad I didn't give a single fuck. This put me into a TTT where the median LSAT was 155. Unsurprisingly I absolutely crushed 1L year, which required diligent work, but nothing even approaching superhuman effort. Transferred into T14 this year. So far am enjoying being around other smart people for a change. There are certainly classmates who are my intellectual superiors, but there are more that are not. Luckily I have no interest in the Biglaw slave factory, so I don't have to deal with being judged by screening interviewers who often wouldn't have made the cut themselves pre-ITE.
Yeah, no, my mistake. Clearly transfers are all normal, well-adjusted people. Just look at this guy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote: This was me as well. 168 LSAT (taken absolutely cold with no prep whatsoever), and 2.3 UGPA because 7 years ago when I was an undergrad I didn't give a single fuck. This put me into a TTT where the median LSAT was 155. Unsurprisingly I absolutely crushed 1L year, which required diligent work, but nothing even approaching superhuman effort. Transferred into T14 this year. So far am enjoying being around other smart people for a change. There are certainly classmates who are my intellectual superiors, but there are more that are not. Luckily I have no interest in the Biglaw slave factory, so I don't have to deal with being judged by screening interviewers who often wouldn't have made the cut themselves pre-ITE.
What are you planning on doing?

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:56 pm

RBG did it, and it worked out for her.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:56 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, no, my mistake. Clearly transfers are all normal, well-adjusted people. Just look at this guy.
You mistake honesty for rudeness. Obviously I'd never demonstrate that attitude IRL. On this bitch-fest of a forum though...

lawschoolROCKS22

New

Post by lawschoolROCKS22 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:57 pm

nymario wrote:
RBG was also weird as fuck.
Last edited by lawschoolROCKS22 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You mistake honesty for rudeness. Obviously I'd never demonstrate that attitude IRL. On this bitch-fest of a forum though...

lawschoolROCKS22

New

Post by lawschoolROCKS22 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:07 pm

Anyone else find it amusing that OCI season is going on and the hottest thread on this forum right now is one called "feeling extremely down"?

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:15 pm

lawschoolROCKS22 wrote:Anyone else find it amusing fitting that OCI season is going on and the hottest thread on this forum right now is one called "feeling extremely down"?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:27 pm

minnbills wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: This was me as well. 168 LSAT (taken absolutely cold with no prep whatsoever), and 2.3 UGPA because 7 years ago when I was an undergrad I didn't give a single fuck. This put me into a TTT where the median LSAT was 155. Unsurprisingly I absolutely crushed 1L year, which required diligent work, but nothing even approaching superhuman effort. Transferred into T14 this year. So far am enjoying being around other smart people for a change. There are certainly classmates who are my intellectual superiors, but there are more that are not. Luckily I have no interest in the Biglaw slave factory, so I don't have to deal with being judged by screening interviewers who often wouldn't have made the cut themselves pre-ITE.
What are you planning on doing?
I networked into a midlaw firm over the summer that has a practice area in the specific niche I want to work in. And a short partnership track. To be clear, it's not the biglaw hours I object to. It's the bureaucracy inherent in working for any giant organization combined with the fact that I have zero interest in most business litigation. I think a lot of people get so lost in the anticipation of biglaw money and prestige that they forget that business litigation is just boring as fuck compared to most other kinds of litigation. I have WE, and I know for a fact that if I'm doing 80 hour weeks I have to really like the work or else I'm just miserable all the time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:31 pm

nymario wrote:
Who is rbg? Also just because there is no benefit doesn't mean it hurts. That reasoning is why I got into my school on the first try.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
nymario wrote:
Who is rbg? Also just because there is no benefit doesn't mean it hurts. That reasoning is why I got into my school on the first try.
Ruther Bader Ginsburg

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:38 pm

nymario wrote:
So did the Dean of Georgetown Law.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:44 pm

Wholigan wrote:
nymario wrote:
So did the Dean of Georgetown Law.
So clearly it is ttt behavior.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:13 pm

I just overheard an NYC hiring partner at brunch mocking the idea that his firm would hire transfers at a T14. I could barely make out what school but I know he said interviews were on Tuesday. Does anybody recognize the school?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:15 pm

MrAnon wrote:I just overheard an NYC hiring partner at brunch mocking the idea that his firm would hire transfers at a T14. I could barely make out what school but I know he said interviews were on Tuesday. Does anybody recognize the school?
Oh my god you're so full of shit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:15 pm

MrAnon wrote:I just overheard an NYC hiring partner at brunch mocking the idea that his firm would hire transfers at a T14. I could barely make out what school but I know he said interviews were on Tuesday. Does anybody recognize the school?
Hmm, sort of convenient that you would "overhear" this at the moment you did. I smell a liar

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:22 pm

this is just terrific.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:26 pm

Lol, CLS releases info on which firms took transfers, and all of the top firms did, so even if this is true, I doubt transfers will care about this ttt firm while they're at a bunch of firms(from V5's to regionals).

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:28 pm

rayiner wrote:
+1

and temp-banned

seriously, dude

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:35 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
rayiner wrote:
+1

and temp-banned

seriously, dude
Thanks, this thread has gone in million directions thanks to him and areyouinsane.

Does anyone know if transfer students typically take a little bit longer to hear back from firms, as they may have some trouble deciding how to evaluate them? I guess this isn't the first time they have ever dealt with transfer students before, though, so maybe that wouldn't quite explain it.

For those who are in a similar situation (approaching OCI strikeout, transfer or not), what are you thinking now? What are people telling you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
rayiner wrote:
+1

and temp-banned

seriously, dude
Thanks, this thread has gone in million directions thanks to him and areyouinsane.

Does anyone know if transfer students typically take a little bit longer to hear back from firms, as they may have some trouble deciding how to evaluate them? I guess this isn't the first time they have ever dealt with transfer students before, though, so maybe that wouldn't quite explain it.

For those who are in a similar situation (approaching OCI strikeout, transfer or not), what are you thinking now? What are people telling you?
What am I thinking? End of the world.

Career services is trying to be optimistic, telling me (and giving me a list) of people who got firm jobs a little later in the hiring season. I'm not too optimistic on that front, but I understand where they are coming from - in fact, I need the optimism.

In the interim, the CSO is going to make some discreet phone calls to firms and find out what exactly is going on, especially at places where (a) i thought I had a good interview and (b) i'm well within the grade-range from which they normally hire. Maybe I am just an epically bad interviewer.

We're also revving up plan B, which is to continue mass mailing, including to secondary markets where I might have some semblance of a connection. I'm also looking at government options (SLIP, USAO, etc), though I know those are just as difficult to get.

In conversations with friends, it gets kind of awkward when they discuss their CBs and then ask where I'm doings CBs. So I just try to avoid that topic from now on.

20+ interviews, 12-14 dings, about 10 outstanding. Yeah.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”