Feeling Extremely Down Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Feeling Extremely Down

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm not sure if this has been covered yet, but transferring to NU without work experience probably wasn't a great move. I've always thought Northwestern's placement was inflated because basically you're looking at an entire class of people with work experience. I would imagine there are a number of schools that would start looking a lot more attractive if the only students considered for placement stats were those with work experience. Also, a lot of employers go to NU expecting people to have work experience. Pretty much everybody before and after your interview has work experience. You're going to stand in stark contrast to everybody else. NU is just a horrible choice if you don't have work experience. I would take Michigan over NU any day of the week if I was in that position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:59 pm

MrAnon wrote: They dont really care whether or not you get a job. The more fannies in the seats, the more cash they get.
Chicago actually drastically reduced the number of transfers it took this year. So much for more fannies in the seats.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not sure if this has been covered yet, but transferring to NU without work experience probably wasn't a great move. I've always thought Northwestern's placement was inflated because basically you're looking at an entire class of people with work experience. I would imagine there are a number of schools that would start looking a lot more attractive if the only students considered for placement stats were those with work experience. Also, a lot of employers go to NU expecting people to have work experience. Pretty much everybody before and after your interview has work experience. You're going to stand in stark contrast to everybody else. NU is just a horrible choice if you don't have work experience. I would take Michigan over NU any day of the week if I was in that position.
I've thought about this quite a bit and it certainly makes sense to a degree but logically I really don't think it should make a difference. You are a transfer student with the exact same stats, resume, etc., and whether a firm interviews you when they come to Michigan or when they come to Northwestern shouldn't really make a difference in their determination of whether they want to hire you. The only argument is that at the moment you are being interviewed you are being compared to other students at your school, and at NU you stand out as someone w/o WE, but at Michigan it is all fine and dandy that you don't have any. Seems silly, but I guess I can see it happening. I was tempted to throw into the whole "Why transfer?" answer that I was accepted to Michigan and chose NU cause I want to work in Chicago and NU made just as much sense as Michigan.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:12 pm

The benefit to transferring is not that you can get jobs you otherwise couldn't. If you transfer from DePaul to NU with top 15% grades, firms will just treat you the same as they would have at DePaul. The benefit comes from having access to all the OCI firms, which wouldn't be at DePaul. It increases your odds at firms you already had a shot at, by getting you face to face with them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:19 pm

OP - this thread has gotten so far off track with areyouinsane's diarrhea all over it. normally he's interesting, here not so much.

I'm in a similar but slightly better situation - CCN transfer (from T2) with 5 CBs so far, hopefully a few more will trickle in. Interviews didn't go as well at first before I figured out what to do: YOU NEED TO SELL YOURSELF. As a transfer, you have great grades at a previous school, which is better than median at CCN, but of course not as good as top 1/3 students at CCN. Firms need more than just "I was top 2% at my old TTT."

I got CBs at V20 firms by emphasizing how being a transfer will translate well to being an associate. I did whatever I could to subtly sell myself without bragging (too much). TALK ABOUT HOW YOU WILL EXCEL. Mention that you had to be proactive as a transfer, had to set ambitious goals from early in first semester, had to get your applications, LORs, and undergrad certs in EARLY. How you are hungry for a greater challenge. How you will bring that same mentality not only to your 2L and 3L courses at your new school, but how you will approach your SA and eventual full-time gig with the same mentality. You are the type of person who will go out and get what you want, and will not sit back and see what happens. If this is all bullshit, then you need to fake it till you make it. Channel your inner Tebow and show that you are greater than the sum of your academic parts because you are driven and will not let yourself fail.

If it sounds corny, then so be it. Use this anxiety to work harder, and don't feel sorry for yourself.

Go get a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP - this thread has gotten so far off track with areyouinsane's diarrhea all over it. normally he's interesting, here not so much.

I'm in a similar but slightly better situation - CCN transfer (from T2) with 5 CBs so far, hopefully a few more will trickle in. Interviews didn't go as well at first before I figured out what to do: YOU NEED TO SELL YOURSELF. As a transfer, you have great grades at a previous school, which is better than median at CCN, but of course not as good as top 1/3 students at CCN. Firms need more than just "I was top 2% at my old TTT."

I got CBs at V20 firms by emphasizing how being a transfer will translate well to being an associate. I did whatever I could to subtly sell myself without bragging (too much). TALK ABOUT HOW YOU WILL EXCEL. Mention that you had to be proactive as a transfer, had to set ambitious goals from early in first semester, had to get your applications, LORs, and undergrad certs in EARLY. How you are hungry for a greater challenge. How you will bring that same mentality not only to your 2L and 3L courses at your new school, but how you will approach your SA and eventual full-time gig with the same mentality. You are the type of person who will go out and get what you want, and will not sit back and see what happens. If this is all bullshit, then you need to fake it till you make it. Channel your inner Tebow and show that you are greater than the sum of your academic parts because you are driven and will not let yourself fail.

If it sounds corny, then so be it. Use this anxiety to work harder, and don't feel sorry for yourself.

Go get a job.
+1. best advice ITT.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrAnon wrote: They dont really care whether or not you get a job. The more fannies in the seats, the more cash they get.
Chicago actually drastically reduced the number of transfers it took this year. So much for more fannies in the seats.
yeah from the looks of it, it seems Michigan has taken slightly fewer transfers than it has in years past, as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Maybe it's a school-to-school thing then. I don't think it's unheard of here at my CCN school for a third to half of the transfers to get V10 of V15.
I'm not a transfer, but I've met a few transfers at our OCI (also one of CCN), and they universally seem to feel as if they overbid and are getting slapped down by the selective firms. (And we're talking about people who were top 5-10% at T30 schools, very realistic chance of biglaw had they stayed put.) I think it might be different this year, for whatever reason, and firms have decided they don't like transfers as much as they used to.
Are you at Columbia or NYU? I'm at Chicago, and for the most part, transfers do awesome here. We only have something like 15 transfers this year—2 of them wrote onto our Law Review—and I'm not sure it ever goes over 25 transfers for any given year. Maybe the small number of transfers at UofC compared to the amount at NYU/CLS makes a bigger difference than people would have expected.

It seems like transfers to UofC who target NYC, especially, absolutely kill it. It's not really unheard of for some of those students to get multiple V15 offers. I know that it might make sense on some level for CLS and NYU to take gigantic transfer classes since they are both gigantic schools to start off with anyway, but I can't shake the feeling that it's kind of scary to be part of a 50-person transfer class.
Yeah, I'm at CLS/NYU. The huge transfer class size might well have something to do with it, but I think transfers have ordinarily done very well here in years past, even in 2009 and 2010. I believe you that they usually do very well at Chicago as well, but I'd be curious to know how they're doing this year, since it seems like this year is a lot worse than years past for transfers at my CLS/NYU school (but not for non-transfers; everyone I know who isn't a transfer has at least a few CBs).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:57 pm

CLS took 77 xfers in 2010...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP - this thread has gotten so far off track with areyouinsane's diarrhea all over it. normally he's interesting, here not so much.

Go get a job.
+1. best advice ITT.
CCN transfer as well and I completely agree with this post...mostly because I didn't follow it and now find myself in a not-so-favorable position

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Go get a job.
+1. best advice ITT.
CCN transfer as well and I completely agree with this post...mostly because I didn't follow it and now find myself in a not-so-favorable position
Me too, in that I didn't employ this technique. In retrospect, it would have been a good seque from the "why did you transfer" question.

Ffuuu

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I'd be curious to know how they're doing this year, since it seems like this year is a lot worse than years past for transfers at my CLS/NYU school (but not for non-transfers; everyone I know who isn't a transfer has at least a few CBs).
I'm curious too. I'm sure some of them will start posting on here as OCI starts for us. My hunch is that they're going to do even better this year than in previous years. First, I think that a greater percentage of the transfers wrote onto a journal this year (we only have two secondary journals at Chicago, so this is a bigger deal than at schools like Michigan, UVA, etc. with a boatload of journals). It's been years and years (somebody told me that it's been a decade) since a transfer student has straight-up written onto Law Review. Two did it this year. Second, the transfer class is something like 15 students, down from the traditional 20-25 in previous years. It's still anybody's guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of them do incredibly well.

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:13 pm

Transfers killed it at NYU last year, it's hard to understand why firms would treat them any differently this year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Go get a job.
+1. best advice ITT.
I know people who took this exact route and struck out. What else are you going to say/do when firms ask you about transferring? Apologize? However, for you, it sounds like your success has been an inevitable result of your hard work, intelligence, and great interviewing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Samples sizes are simply too small to generalize. I would say it's also difficult to pinpoint on what part of the interview you might have won over the interviewer.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Go get a job.
+1. best advice ITT.
I know people who took this exact route and struck out. What else are you going to say/do when firms ask you about transferring? Apologize? However, for you, it sounds like your success has been an inevitable result of your hard work, intelligence, and great interviewing.
Bragging about your ability to transfer schools isn't something anyone wants to hear about. You got your LORs in early? Whoa I'm blown away. That's a minor point in life that is taken for granted that you can handle. What about you is interesting and different?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:03 pm

MrAnon wrote:Bragging about your ability to transfer schools isn't something anyone wants to hear about. You got your LORs in early? Whoa I'm blown away. That's a minor point in life that is taken for granted that you can handle. What about you is interesting and different?
He mentioned it as part of a larger picture. He is absolutely right that you must sell yourself. Stop being so dense.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:08 pm

MrAnon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Go get a job.
+1. best advice ITT.
Bragging about your ability to transfer schools isn't something anyone wants to hear about. You got your LORs in early? Whoa I'm blown away. That's a minor point in life that is taken for granted that you can handle. What about you is interesting and different?
this poster was actually careful to clarify that he attempted to do so without bragging, and from what it seems, his/her strategy worked pretty well. i think his main point was that you have to sell your positives, and one way to do that is to drawing attention to the fact that transferring does require some initiative, diligence and hard work - all traits that law employers look for. to me, this doesn't sound so much like bragging as showing how you're a good fit for their firm/work environment.

PitchO20

Bronze

Post by PitchO20 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:16 pm

areyouinsane wrote:
This is soooooo credited. The mindset about doubling down and working harder in school and putting all focus on 2L and 3L and some stupid worthless secondary journal is where people fuck up. Some guy with no journal and a lot of office experience is going to snag a small law job ahead of you at graduation. Small law doesnt care about journals, they care about people who can perform quickly without much instruction. Journals dont help that but actual small law job experience does.

Exactly. For example, at the shitlaw personal injury firm I worked at, you are sent to court the very first day of work with no guidance or instruction whatsoever. Sure it was only a preliminary conference and a motion that stipped out, but understand that no one has the time or inclination for hand holding & formal training in shitlaw. You're just thrown to the wolves & it's sink or swim.

At this shitlaw office the partners were very macho and viewed asking questions as a sign of weakness/incompetence. The trial partner even told me he "doesn't like being asked a million questions" and mocking shit like "are you suckling babies gonna come in here every 5 minutes and say "Mr. Partner, my pen ran out of ink- should I get a new one?" He said "learn by doing."

I was stuck in front of the notorious NY County Judge Ira Gammerman (known as Get 'Em Picked Gammerman" one day and a case we wanted to adjourn of course wasn't. I called the office to say I'd be gone all afternoon as we were slated for jury selection at 1 pm. I kinda hinted at like "er, what do I do?" but the partner just said "OK well start picking then" and that was that.

So I had to "wing" it, and actually did OK. My adversary was a nice guy and actually gave me some tips (he was from NYC Law Dept and could've given a shit less about this loser case). That was a good thing, as I had no idea how many preemptory challenges I had, or how to use them, or really how to do anything. I was only admitted to the bar a few weeks earlier and had done nothing before this gig but doc review.

Of course a day or two to learn the law and prepare would be nice, but that's a luxury you won't have in shitlaw. Like McDonald's, they make $$$ on volume and there just isn't any time to properly prepare or work up a file. You just have to wing it and hope for the best, and get whatever $$$ you can before moving on to the next case.

Given the above, try and find a shitlaw place that will let you shadow some lawyers in shitcourt and spend as much time at the office as possible and "learn the ropes" before bar admission. It really will help a lot getting that first personal injury, landlord tenant, or other shitlaw gig. This is a far better use of your time & effort than writing on to Sports Law Journal or some other joke law review wanna-be rag and studying the 2 L bullshit, which is 10 X more boring than first year. Treat your shitlaw internship like a full time job and avoid even going to class or studying altogether. It's almost impossible to get lower than a C- in any lawschool class, even if you don't study at all. There were 2 and 3 L classes where I literally never went to a single class and couldn't pick the prof. out of a lineup. Just pick up some study ads and cram the night before, toss in some buzzwords, take your C- and say fuck it.

I was downright incredoulous to see 2 and 3 L friends who struck out at OCI still studying balls and outlining like it was first semester of One L. These fools just didn't get it that the contest was over, and no matter how many times they checked their ticket, they didn't have the winning numbers. For shitlaw no one ever asks about grades or where you went to school, because most shitlaw "lawyers" are businessmen first and foremost. They spend 100% of their time networking with runners, designing ads, and hustling for files. They're smart enough to know that the "law" is a joke and can be cut n' pasted by any mouth-breathing monkey. There is no research and absolutley no original writing- every single pleading and motion is pure cut n' paste.

In the extremely rare event that a shitlaw case is worth appealing, the savvy shitlawyer farms it out to a per diem (usually a single mom type or retiree who works from home), gives them the file, and a few hundred bucks later gets it dropped off and filed. There is no time whatsoever for associates to do this type of work, since you're in court every morning & at depositions every afternoon. Shitlaw (esp personal injury work) is a real grind, and exhausting with all the running around etc.

My typical day was getting up at 8 am, shower & suit up, get on subway to court in Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, or Manhattan around 9:15 to 9:30, then running to the 5 or 6 different courtrooms where we had motions or conferences scheduled. You find your case on the calendar outside the courtroom, circle the plaintiff's name, and write your cell # over it so your adversary will know that you are somewhere else and can adjourn it if you can't make it on time or call you to see when you'll be down. Everything is heard on a first-come, first served basis. This isn't "court" like on TV, it's a tiny room with 50 to 100 people reading newspapers, yakking on the phone, talking about last nights Mets game, etc. Most shitlaw motions and conferences are heard by clerks who sit at little card tables. The judge usually never leaves their office- if something is really important you have to ask to see them and get called back there, which can take a loooong time. They are usually very pissed off when things can't be settled or worked out and they have to get involved, so best not to make a habit of bothering them with nonsense.

Usually court wraps up around 11 to 12 noon. Then a quick lunch and off to one of the stenographer offices at Diamond Reporting, Veri-Text, Dietz, or the other shithole broom closets for a deposition. You have to spend at least 1/2 hour prepping the client and getting them ready to answer questions, tell how things happened, etc. Usually they don't speak English so you have to call the office and have secretary interpet via phone while you prep (can't use court interpeter b/c it breaks a/c privilege). Also these "preps" (wink wink) often skirt the boundaries of.... well, let's not go there.

Understand that when you meet the client is the first time you've even heard of their case- as I said, there's no time for preparation or file review or anything like that. You meet them there at the reporter's office, they tell you the story, and then it's off to the races. At most you'll have a copy of the complaint but that's about it.

These depositions are sheer torture, with idiotic questions like "what part of your left foot first came into contact with the puddle of urine you slipped on" and "were you wearing flip-flops or Roman Sandals", shit like that. Then all their medical treatment and aches and pains, etc. Usually the clients fuck up the story since most of them are complete retards, and often they get that "retard anger" after half hour or so and start making threats and calling your adversary a "motherfucker" and just rant that "my shit fucking hurts asshole and I want big money for dis" and so on. Pretty much a complete circus.

Usually after a few cigarettes you limp back to the office by 4 pm, just in time for "calendar meeting" where you get the next day's assignments and scratch together whatever shitpaper documents you need for court. If there's time you make a few phone calls and try to settle some turd cases that the partner left on your desk with a huge "S-ASAP" written in sharpie, which means settle this crap ASAP over the phone for whatever you can get, since it's not worth going the $250 to file a complaint on. Usually you can get $500 or even $750 on these depending on how shitty they are. One we had that was really funny was a homeless lady who walked on foot up to the Wendy's drive-thru window and tripped while getting her food. She got a few bruises and Wendy's forked over $800 bucks to make it go away (they are self-insured so they really don't fight any but the really big claims).

HTH

Best user on TLS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:17 pm

Transfer from above with the advice following up here: I had to claw my way to get here, and firms value the ability to step over/on someone to get what the client wants. You need to convey that you intend to dominate the same way that you did at TTT when you walk in the firms doors. That mentality is an asset not everyone with a 170+ has. Of course, you have to walk a fine line to not come across as.a.douche (which I have here for illustrative purposes).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:19 pm

bjsesq wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Bragging about your ability to transfer schools isn't something anyone wants to hear about. You got your LORs in early? Whoa I'm blown away. That's a minor point in life that is taken for granted that you can handle. What about you is interesting and different?
He mentioned it as part of a larger picture. He is absolutely right that you must sell yourself. Stop being so dense.
No shit you have to sell yourself. And no shit you need to make transferring out to be a good thing. Anyone capable of transferring into a T10 school should know that.

The OCI process is random as hell. There are like 3 or 4 candidates out there who can unquestionably do the work for every BigLaw opening today. Law firms know that, and after a certain point, they don't care which person they bring back so long as that person is qualified and not intensely unlikeable. They interview 20 candidates a day, and most of the interviewers have lives outside of work. Firms aren't hiring a particular transfer student because that transfer got her LoRs in on time. A lot of people fall through the cracks while a lot of people achieve great success. If you get a firm job, great! I'm a firm believer in hating the game and not the player. Transfers who get a job only really bother me when they act like luck wasn't on their side and tell the transfers that struck out to "get a job."
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just don't act like luck wasn't on your side and tell the transfers that struck out to "get a job."
This part of his post was a dick move, I agree. That wasn't a part I was supporting. I don't want anyone to think that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:28 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just don't act like luck wasn't on your side and tell the transfers that struck out to "get a job."
This part of his post was a dick move, I agree. That wasn't a part I was supporting. I don't want anyone to think that.
I intended that as encouragement; this isn't the case of someone with no prospects being told to "work harder." Nor did this person "strike out". OP is someone with at least one CB that s/he needs to make the most of. Better advice may have been "you only need one" (as in offer).

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
I intended that as encouragement; this isn't the case of someone with no prospects being told to "work harder." Nor did this person "strike out". OP is someone with at least one CB that s/he needs to make the most of. Better advice may have been "you only need one" (as in offer).
Fair enough. My bad on the misunderstanding.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:42 pm

At what point do you call it a day at OCI though? There's always one more interview or one more CB. At some point you need to shift strategy and drastically.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”