Suffolk County, Massachusetts District Attorney's Office

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Suffolk County, Massachusetts District Attorney's Office

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:11 pm

How prestigious is a position as an Assistant District Attorney for Suffolk County, MA?

How competitive is the job (I read they only hire ~15 ADA's a year)?

Better chances to get the job at BU or BC than a T14?

Do they prosecute cases vertically or horizontally?

What type of exit options would one have (with 5-10 years experience)? AUSA? Big Law Partner? Corporate Counsel? Insurance Defense? Petty Criminal Defense (drunk driving, etc)?

I read that Suffolk ADA to MA AUSA is a common transition? True or False?

Do they offer to sign you up for Welfare and Food Stamps when you get hired ($40k starting salary seems very small)?

Anonymous User

Re: Suffolk County, Massachusetts District Attorney's Office

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:40 am

Additional Question

What about neighboring Middlesex County?

How prestigious is a position as an Assistant District Attorney for Middlesex County, MA?

How competitive is the job?

Better chances to get the job at BU or BC than a T14?

Do they prosecute cases vertically or horizontally?

What type of exit options would one have (with 5-10 years experience)? AUSA? Big Law Partner? Corporate Counsel? Insurance Defense? Petty Criminal Defense (drunk driving, etc)?

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:50 am

I'm pretty sure you don't qualify for food stamps if you make 40k and don't have any dependents

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:55 am

I dont know how competitive it is, but I give you some info from what I heard..

a member of the 2010 class recently became ADA. He is a cum laude grad of BC or BU ... he went to one of the top colleges and graduated magna. I heard he did not get a a biglaw offer via OCI but he obviously has very good, if not great, credentials.

someone who just graduated this spring, also from bc or bu, also became ADA. He did not even finish with honors. however, he worked for a senator in DC before he came to boston.... if that matters.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:58 am

I know a quite a few people down at the Suffolk DA, word is they care very little about school rank and grades. More important is relevant experience or interest, attitude, and commitment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:48 am

Cupidity wrote:I know a quite a few people down at the Suffolk DA, word is they care very little about school rank and grades. More important is relevant experience or interest, attitude, and commitment.

What about prosecuting cases is it done vertically or horizontally? As in does one ADA take the case from start to finish or do they have people "specialize" in particular aspects of the process. For example do they have a small group who do nothing but file information's day in and day out, and than other people who do nothing but assemble witness statements, evidence etc?

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:What about neighboring Middlesex County?

How prestigious is a position as an Assistant District Attorney for Middlesex County, MA?

I've actually heard some people opine that Middlesex is the best regarded DA's office in the state, but who knows?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:25 am

What kind of promotion and pay raise opportunities do these DA offices offer? Is it purely merit based? Is it to be expected that with 15 years in you will only be making $60k-80k? $40k seems low compared to pretty much every other primary market DA office. Does it go up fast from there to make up for this? Again what type of exit options do these ADA have?

Return to “Legal Employment”