bottom quarter at T30...need mass mailing help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

bottom quarter at T30...need mass mailing help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:13 am

below 3.0 grades and well below median. rising 2L. Decent school though that rocks its home city market.

I am planning to mass mail now because it looks like I wont get much from OCI. I'm trying to tap into my connections, so we'll see how that goes.

1. Is it too late to try and mass mail?

2. If I have bad grades, should I still include a transcript? I was thinking of including a resume, writing sample, and cover letter for sure.

3. Are cover letters really that necessary though? Don't they just wanna see my grades and transcript? I'm kinda lazy and tailoring each cover letter to firms I have about a 2-5 percent shot at seems overkill. I wanna try and mass mail at least 50-60 firms. I want midlaw :( dont laugh

PeanutHead

Re: bottom quarter at T30...need mass mailing help

Postby PeanutHead » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:23 am

Ok I'll bite.

Obviously you need to do everything that you possibly can. Although you have a very low chance at getting anything from mass mailing, that is where I would start. Yes you need to tailor each letter to each firm. You can have some boilerplate kind of language but then figure out what each firm's strongest practice is and make up some reason why that is what you want to do. In your position I would really consider leaving the GPA off your resume and hope that the strength of the rest of your resume and your cover letter may help you to squeeze in the door. To give you an idea of what to expect: if you mass mail 50-60 firms you will be doing very well to score 5 interviews. Likely it will be in the 0-3 range.

If your law school is really strong in its market then start looking now for school year employment/internships. Even if you have to work for free find some way to get in the door. Get involved in pro bono projects that firms in your town are doing. Call in any connection that you think you may have.

Maybe your comment about being lazy about tailoring cover letters was meant as a joke. But I would prepare yourself to double your efforts from last year to pull up your GPA while busting your ass to not end up unemployed at graduation. Good luck!

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:22 am

Don't mention your GPA to anyone.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:47 am

PeanutHead wrote:Ok I'll bite.

Obviously you need to do everything that you possibly can. Although you have a very low chance at getting anything from mass mailing, that is where I would start. Yes you need to tailor each letter to each firm. You can have some boilerplate kind of language but then figure out what each firm's strongest practice is and make up some reason why that is what you want to do. In your position I would really consider leaving the GPA off your resume and hope that the strength of the rest of your resume and your cover letter may help you to squeeze in the door. To give you an idea of what to expect: if you mass mail 50-60 firms you will be doing very well to score 5 interviews. Likely it will be in the 0-3 range.

If your law school is really strong in its market then start looking now for school year employment/internships. Even if you have to work for free find some way to get in the door. Get involved in pro bono projects that firms in your town are doing. Call in any connection that you think you may have.

Maybe your comment about being lazy about tailoring cover letters was meant as a joke. But I would prepare yourself to double your efforts from last year to pull up your GPA while busting your ass to not end up unemployed at graduation. Good luck!

This is the credited response. Getting a job takes a significant amount of time and effort, even from the top of the class. If you want one, you'll have to work for it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:58 pm

OP here...ok so I shouldnt include an unofficial transcript? I should just attach a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to my emails? My gpa and rank is NOT on my resume by the way...

I'm planning to mass mail small, medium, and large sized firms.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here...ok so I shouldnt include an unofficial transcript? I should just attach a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to my emails? My gpa and rank is NOT on my resume by the way...

Yes, and make your writing sample the most brilliant thing ever written. That is your one true hope.

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here...ok so I shouldnt include an unofficial transcript? I should just attach a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to my emails? My gpa and rank is NOT on my resume by the way...

honestly, i wouldn't bother mass mailing large firms. it's hard enough for people with median grades to find success through mass mailing large firms. As far as including your transcript..don't include it unless the firm specifically asks that it be included with your other application materials. If they ask for it and you don't send it you'll either look sloppy (which isn't good) or it will draw attention to the fact that your grades are less than stellar and that you're trying to cover it up.

I would definitely take the advice from above and try to find some form of externship or clinic opportunities to do throughout the school year to allow you to network. you also need to buckle down and raise that GPA. if it was laziness that got you your poor 1L grades, just work harder. if you put in a lot of effort and still didn't do as well as you'd hoped you should ask your professors from last semester what you did wrong and how you can improve, if you haven't already.

Toronto7

medical malpractice lawyer louisiana

Postby Toronto7 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:54 pm

Hello,
In Louisiana, we have hurricanes. And spam.

Return to “Legal Employment”